New member with shopping questions

Hello,

I am a new member and planning on upgrading my 2007 Z71 with a 2014, Silverado or Sierra 4X4 Crew cab standard bed with the 5.3. I have a few questions about various models, and I'm hoping you all can help narrow down my search. I'm sure none of these are new questions, but I haven't located all the answers yet.

1. Not sure I want to spend the extra money for the Z71 package this time around. I do a lot of highway driving, but also hunt, fish, and cut wood on dirt roads in the mountains. Do all 4X4's come with skid plates? Any feedback on the difference in suspensions? I doubt I would use the Active Hill Descent often, probably just use 4 Low and gear down instead. The packages I am looking at include the locking differential anyway. Any other differences I should be looking at?

2. Navigation. Anyone use it in rural areas? Does it show back country roads, forests, mountains, streams, etc? Are other maps like topo compatible? Are free updates included? If so, how is this accomplished? Love it? Hate it?

3. I saw the back seat floor in the Crew cab Sierra is mostly flat. Is the Silverado also? Are there heat and AC vents in the back seats?

Thanks in advance for any help. Most of the sales people I've spoken with have little knowledge of any features other than the color and wheel size.

I can answer #3, yes, it's fairly flat, there is still a hump though for the axle. The heat ducts are the same as your 07, under the seats. Assuming cold air comes out of there also? I haven't had my truck long enough, only got it in the end of January, so haven't tested the AC out yet.

Also, as far as the Z71 option, it may be difficult to find a truck without it. Not sure about where you are, but where I am, most of the trucks have it already, very few don't.

Just my opinion.

all 4x4's do not come with the skid plates. only the z71's do. however, i have a z71 and the skid plates are not exactly what you think they are. the only metal skid plate is the one that covers the transfer case and it is maybe 1/8" sheet metal. you could prob bend it with your hand. it has a front "skid plate" that covers the front crossmember and oil pan etc but it is plastic. i tried finding an aftermarket one as i would like a little more protection but no one makes them yet.

1, If you read enough reviews you will find that the Z71 has the best ride. I think it would be wroth it for that alone. Research what skid plates you get with the Z71, I am not sure they are as good as they once were and not as big of a positive.

2, Navigation many roads do not show where I am at. IMO they are roads that should be on navigations map. I have not tried to upgrade or update maps.

Z71 package :

Suspension Package, Off-Road, includes Z71 chrome side front fender emblems, monotube Rancho brand shocks and (K47) air cleaner, (JHD) Hill Descent Control, (NZZ) underbody shield on 4WD models and (V76) recovery hooks on 2WD models

I've been running 4x4's for about 20 years. I've almost never used 4wd Lo, I don't think the current truck has ever had it engaged.

I buy Z71's for the shocks and the skid plates. Air cleaner is a bonus.

One of the biggest differences between the 2014 Z71 and non-Z71 trucks are the interior accents.

On a non-Z71 truck, GM put fake wood grain accent panels in the truck. On the Z-71 equipped trucks, these cheesy looking wood-grain panels have been replaced with much better looking carbon-fiber accent panels, which of course are still fake, just much less cheesy looking. The Z71 truck's interiors are much nicer imho.

Also, Redwngr's Z71 package description above must be from the GMC site as the Chevy Z71 trucks DO NOT come with chrome side front fender emblems.... those are only on the GMC Z71 equipped trucks. I do like those emblems though, so much in fact that I went and ordered 2 of them for my new Chevy Z71. The Chevy Z71 only includes the sticker for the rear fender, but no chrome side emblems. A mistake by Chevy imho, but easily fixable.

One of the biggest differences between the 2014 Z71 and non-Z71 trucks are the interior accents.

On a non-Z71 truck, GM put fake wood grain accent panels in the truck. On the Z-71 equipped trucks, these cheesy looking wood-grain panels have been replaced with much better looking carbon-fiber accent panels, which of course are still fake, just much less cheesy looking. The Z71 truck's interiors are much nicer imho.

Also, Redwngr's Z71 package description above must be from the GMC site as the Chevy Z71 trucks DO NOT come with chrome side front fender emblems.... those are only on the GMC Z71 equipped trucks. I do like those emblems though, so much in fact that I went and ordered 2 of them for my new Chevy Z71. The Chevy Z71 only includes the sticker for the rear fender, but no chrome side emblems. A mistake by Chevy imho, but easily fixable.

Would like to see a pick with the emblem on the Silverado.

Archived