King Coilover Shocks Installed

Kings add about 1" of stroke or 2" of total travel. That's the leverage ratio, 2:1. When I bought mine; installed they provided almost 3" of lift! They were also very near the top of the travel and almost on the limiters. I traded the 750# springs for 600# units and got them back in range and yet not centered in the shocks stroke. The truck has a 4.3 and is 2WD so less nose weight than the average 5.3 4X4 DC. To make it perfect I would trade once more for 500# springs and a slight preload. The factory stops will allow for full range of motion with factory UCA IF the limiters are left in place however rebound will be sacrificed. Would be anyway when the shock strokes out full extension. 500# springs and a bit of preload takes away from coil stack and invites coil bind. 

At 4.5 inches of shock travel, an inch over factory you have 9 inches of wheel travel vs 7 inches factory. That is only a half inch more shock stroke either side of centered at the shock. That is a maximum of 1" of lift and still retain the factory rebound range while adding a total 2" to the compression. 

Nothing is free. If you want the distance equally split there is no lift. If you accept the 2" lift you sacrifice half the rebound before the shock reaches full extension. Leaving the limiters in will reduce that to about 2" of rebound before the stop is hit but saves the UCA and if you leave the stop in place the ball joint lives a normal happy life. If you take the limiter out the ball joint becomes the stop. 

Adding an aftermarket UCA to keep the ball joint alive returns the limit to the shock full extension geometry and you gain nearly nothing in rebound. 

If you need more than an inch think spindle lift if raising the transfer case is the goal or a spacer if not. Or more tire diameter. If you want more travel your going to need custom UCA and LCA to increase the leverage ratio and increase the spring rate to compensate. IMHO of course. 

11 hours ago, Noodlum said:

I am on 35's with the Kings turned all the way down (least amount of lift).

Looks great! Thanks for the reply. Looks higher then mine probably because the front bumper is off. 

13 hours ago, rhino68 said:

Looks great! Thanks for the reply. Looks higher then mine probably because the front bumper is off. 

Thanks! Yeah, having no front bumper make it look a lot higher in the front.

• 9 months later...
On 5/23/2019 at 10:06 AM, Noodlum said:

Thanks! Yeah, having no front bumper make it look a lot higher in the front.

How nose high is it? The picture in the parking lot looks alot more level than the profile picture. Same Setup?