Toyo Open Country A/T2 reviews/opinions

Looking for reviews or opinions on Toyo's Open Country A/T 2 tires. Admittedly, I'm a tire snob. I want a silent tire that balances perfectly and is fabulous in the mud and snow. I've learned to live with a little tire noise but I do avoid M/T tires at this point in my life. That said, I live in Minnesota and hunt all over the Midwest. I need a tire that will do well in six plus inches of fresh snow and will get me in AND OUT of the most rural hunting areas. My go to tire on my HD was BFG A/T's because they could push a lot of snow in a straight line (plowing). They have always been reasonably quiet too. I learned to live with the poor snow cornering and 25K mile tread life (on a diesel). I've run Nitto Terra Grapplers and Dune Grapplers. Cooper Zeon LTZ's and A/T3's. Goodyear M/T's and Duratracs, and a heap of others. Now I have my eye on these Toyos. Looking for honest reviews of REAL WORLD experience. Those of you that commute in the snow especially. Thanks to all with input.

post-131834-0-50430200-1404851619_thumb.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have AT2's on my Cummins they're 315/75/16 and I absolutely love them. I know it's not a silverado but it's still a valid opinion on the tire. I have about 5,000 miles on them now and they're very quiet on the highway even at speeds of 80+ mph. I've been off road and thru Cleveland's winter (which was horrible this past year) with them as well with no issues I never got stuck once and I got in some sticky situations lol. IMO they're the nicest tires out there and well worth the price. A buddy of mine has them on his 03 Super Duty and has 40,000 miles on them still looking great. He hauls everyday and really puts a beating on them. Good luck with your purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan, thanks for your input. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully more users will chime in, but your review is definitely swaying me further that way.

Denalicrew,

Not to jump in on your thread but I too am in the same boat and was curious about the Toyo's as well. I currently have Cooper ATP's and am having a hell of a time getting them to balance out correctly, even after 2 have been replaced, and 3 different balancing efforts.

For those of you who have them how do the E load's ride? How do they balance out?

Thanks!

Rodz, I'm in the automotive industry and I can't even tell you how often we see balance and out of round issues with those ATP's and AT3's. I too would be looking at an E rated tire. Hope we get some good input!

Rodz, I'm in the automotive industry and I can't even tell you how often we see balance and out of round issues with those ATP's and AT3's. I too would be looking at an E rated tire. Hope we get some good input!

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciate it! Mine balance out to 0.0 and have relatively low road force numbers, but once you get into the highway speeds 70+ it is pretty noticeable. I think the tire seems to be deforming at higher speeds since the balancer doesn't run them up that high. It's like chasing a ghost because according to the Discount Tire everything checks out on the machine yet I have a pretty substantial vibration at anything over 70mph. Have you seen this happen before?

Also, here are some great reviews on the Toyo: http://www.treaddepot.com/group/opat2.html

Thanks for the info, greatly appreciate it! Mine balance out to 0.0 and have relatively low road force numbers, but once you get into the highway speeds 70+ it is pretty noticeable. I think the tire seems to be deforming at higher speeds since the balancer doesn't run them up that high. It's like chasing a ghost because according to the Discount Tire everything checks out on the machine yet I have a pretty substantial vibration at anything over 70mph. Have you seen this happen before?

Also, here are some great reviews on the Toyo: http://www.treaddepot.com/group/opat2.html

Those are the exact issues that we see. We can always get them to "zero out" at balancer speed, but frequently have high speed issues. I will no longer install those specific tires because of the time they have wasted. With a large corporation like DT, you may be able to talk them into a credit towards a better tire.

Denalicrew,

We have about the same taste in tires.. I'm also interested in those Toyo. I'm also thinking about these

Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar

I'm a big fan of the logo_bfg.gifRugged Terrain T/A. I had a set on my '02 Silverado and loved them. They handle well, they're not too noisy, traction dry/wet/snow/mud was really good, much better than the fuel miser tires on my '14. I'll be getting another set when these tires wear out.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Rugged+Terrain+T%2FA&partnum=665TR8RTTAOWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2014&autoModel=Silverado%201500%204wd&autoModClar=Double%20Cab

...and I love the rugged look!

bfg_rugter_ta_ci2_l.jpg

I'm running the Toyo A/Tii Open Country xTreme 295/55/r20s and while I've only had them mounted and in service for approx. 1500 miles I am pleased thus far with their performance in terms of traction, drivability, tread wear, steering feedback and low noise. They also look great compared to what were my original OEM GY Wrangler SR-A's.

The above stated, its probably too soon to tell in terms of tread life wear but compared to others in the same size range, I choose the Toyo albeit by no means the cheapest priced tires.

Looking forward to following this thread for input from others.

I had 3 sets of Load Range E Toyo OC AT tires, which have the same tread as the AT2. I hunt and travel the highways from CA to the Dakotas every year. The performance on the highway dry is good with acceptable road noise. Off-road traction is good when the tires are in their first 2/3rds of tread depth, like most AT tires. Wet road performance is acceptable but not as good as a Michelin LTX AT2.

In the little snow I've had the Toyo's in, I wasn't impressed. In mud, they load up like most AT tires.

Tread wear on my AT(not AT2) tires was very good. I got over 50,000 miles out of each set. The AT2 should do better. It was my initial choice when looking for tires for my 2014.

I ended up going with a Cooper ST Maxx for my 2014. I have 3000 miles on them and so far no issues. I take them to highway speed every day on my commute. I'm hoping I don't run into the out-of-round issue. I'm always torn between a quiet road tire and one that performs off-road. The ST Maxx is pretty aggressive and louder than the run of the mill AT tire. But the 2014 is so well sound insulated that the noise level in the cab with the windows up is much lower than my 2008 with the Toyo AT. The ST Maxx crosses the boundries of a AT toward a light mud tire. We'll see how they do. I go thru a set of tires every 2 years.

My brother-in-law just bought a set of the latest version of the Cepek Fun Country tires for his 4 door Jeep. Another tire that pushes the boundry of AT toward a mud tire, IMO.

A friend that travels all thru the Midwest and west, from CA to MN to ID every year to bird hunt, had been running Michelin LTX AT2 tires for the last couple trucks (Toyotas). He liked the road performance. This spring he got a new truck and put BFG AT tires on it. Evidently, he was looking for more off-road performance than the Michelin has.

Well, I ordered a set of Open Country A/T 2 Extremes today. It'll be at least a week before I see them because I ordered 295/60r20. That will give me time to install the lift and order the appropriate wheels to match my fender flares. I'll keep this thread updated with my experiences with these tires. Hope to have good news!

Well, I ordered a set of Open Country A/T 2 Extremes today. It'll be at least a week before I see them because I ordered 295/60r20. That will give me time to install the lift and order the appropriate wheels to match my fender flares. I'll keep this thread updated with my experiences with these tires. Hope to have good news!

Good deal, hope you like them! I am debating between that size and a 285-55-20, which are both extremes. I live in FL so I don't really need that aggressive of a tread but they sure do look good. Hoping they might be able to find 2 new coopers for the rear of the truck that don't shake. If not, I will try and get Discount Tire to put credit towards some of these.

I'm running the Toyo A/Tii Open Country xTreme 295/55/r20s and while I've only had them mounted and in service for approx. 1500 miles I am pleased thus far with their performance in terms of traction, drivability, tread wear, steering feedback and low noise. They also look great compared to what were my original OEM GY Wrangler SR-A's.

The above stated, its probably too soon to tell in terms of tread life wear but compared to others in the same size range, I choose the Toyo albeit by no means the cheapest priced tires.

Looking forward to following this thread for input from others.

Can you post some pictures of the truck and tires. I am about to order the same tires and would like to see them on a 2014.

That is worrying. ... i was looking at the at3 because of the treadware and max weight.

Archived