Oil Change- 3k, 5k? or when my display tells me to?

Im on the other side of the fence the only reason I get my oil change as often as they want is the warranty. After the warranty I go extended drains or once a year. Some as high as 25000 miles on synthetics. Im in the equipment biss. done all the testing no engine problems in 40 years. Hell I had the trail blazer SS with the LS2 engine, the factory change on that was between 12 and 15K on mobil 1. My oil change light on that would come on around 12K but I ran the dog s... out of it. I traded it at 130K, I ate one transmission but the engine still purred like a lion. Some of those high mileage drain trucks have been around a while, a 97 dodge Cummings and a 2000 ford 7.3. The parents drive those and they will not trade them in.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To check my understanding here...

GM uses a synthetic blend oil and if I choose to use full synthetic I will void my warranty by using a better oil? Sounds odd to me.

No...GM specs dexos certified...right from the 2014 Silverado Owners Manual beginning on page 10-12...by the way, there are a lot of blends that are dexos1 certified and most full synthetics are. For example Mobil1 IS certified.

Specification

Use and ask for licensed engine oils with the dexos1® approved certification mark. Engine oils meeting the requirements for the vehicle should have the dexos1 approved certification mark. This certification mark indicates that the oil has been approved to the dexos1 specification.

Viscosity Grade

SAE 0W-20 is the best viscosity grade for the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines. SAE 5W-30 is the best viscosity grade for the 4.3L V6, and 6.0L V8 engines. Do not use other viscosity grade oils such as SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, or 20W-50.

Caution

Failure to use the recommended engine oil can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty. Check with your dealer or service provider on whether the oil is approved to the dexos1 specification.

Failure to use the recommended engine oil can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty.

Notice the word can? Meaning a possibility but not a certainty. Play of words to scare the owner in using only what GM recommends.

GM only recommends what makes them money.

To include the dexos logo on their label, Mobil pays General Motors a hefty fee.

the 2014 trucks use a synthetic blend oil that needs changing less often then regular oil.

if you use regular oil you void your engine warranty, if you use full synthetic you void your engine warranty, so you can only use synthetic blend oil until your warranty ends or you don't care about loosing it.

dealer told me if I don't put enough miles on my truck they will replace it every 6 months regardless of mileages.

I cant remember what he said it was but I think the read out goes by 6000 or maybe 8000 miles per oil change warning

I used full synthetic in my 1998 Silverado and replaced oil every 10,000 miles and it still ran like new when I traded it in and it didn't ever have dark or really dirty oil even going 10,00 miles per oil change

Yea no thats bullsh!t. Using full synthetic wont void your warranty. My dealership offered to upcharge my "free" oil change to Mobile 1. I said no thanks just use the syn-blend that is free.

Now if you used synthetic oil and but didn't change it for 20,000 miles and then the motor had issues, THAT would void your warranty. Because that would be noticeable neglect.

I can give you a long list of cars and trucks that we went extended drain with amsoil since 91. Ill give you one and its typical of what we experience. A 1991 dodge ram Cummings. 0 to 100k miles I used it as a tow rig, over 20k lbs of towing. 100k to 200k miles crew truck hauling crews to work on pipeline right of ways. 200k to over 300k parts running and back up truck for the field crews. 300k repaint and clutch light hauling 12k lbs for 6 months. Around 400k gave it as a bonus to a mechanic he traded it and lost tack of it. Oil changes every 25k with synthetic oil filter every 12k. This normal for us. We follow the factory schedule till the end of the warranty and go extended or one year whatever comes first. Always follow factory schedule for your warranty otherwise extended drain no problems.

Yea no thats bullsh!t. Using full synthetic wont void your warranty. My dealership offered to upcharge my "free" oil change to Mobile 1. I said no thanks just use the syn-blend that is free.

Now if you used synthetic oil and but didn't change it for 20,000 miles and then the motor had issues, THAT would void your warranty. Because that would be noticeable neglect.

im no lawyer and I cant argue GM's policy, all I know is I asked my dealer to use straight synthetic and was told " nope, that voids the warranty, we have to use a blended oil according to GM"

were they lying to me ??? maybe but all I know is what they said about it

im no lawyer and I cant argue GM's policy, all I know is I asked my dealer to use straight synthetic and was told " nope, that voids the warranty, we have to use a blended oil according to GM"

Yea I'd be willing to bet it was just a canned response. They want to you to use the synthetic blend because thats how they get paid.

They are dicks. Show them the GM requirement that oil needs to meet the Dexos spec. Any synthetic that meets or surpasses it, is good to go

They are dicks. Show them the GM requirement that oil needs to meet the Dexos spec. Any synthetic that meets or surpasses it, is good to go

What he said about your dealer^^^. Not sure about Amsoil, but the last time I checked other synthetics like Mobil1 and Castrol, they had the Dexos1 certification label. My dealer offered to fill mine with Mobil1 and just charge me the difference.

What he said about your dealer^^^. Not sure about Amsoil, but the last time I checked other synthetics like Mobil1 and Castrol, they had the Dexos1 certification label. My dealer offered to fill mine with Mobil1 and just charge me the difference.

The Amsoil that came today for in my Cruze doesn't have a Dexos label on it, but they claim it is a Dexos equivalent oil. Good enough for me.

The Amsoil that came today for in my Cruze doesn't have a Dexos label on it, but they claim it is a Dexos equivalent oil. Good enough for me.

Thanks. I was hoping someone who uses Amzoil would chime in. That is what I thought. There were a lot of synthetics I looked at on the shelf at Walmart and Autozone that have Dexos1 cert labels.

Thanks. I was hoping someone who uses Amzoil would chime in. That is what I thought. There were a lot of synthetics I looked at on the shelf at Walmart and Autozone that have Dexos1 cert labels.

No problem. I just started using it so I'm not sure how much better it is, but I figured why not. It cost me around $15 more per oil change over Pennzoil Platinum. Hopefully it's worth it in the long run.

Here's the back of a 5W30 quart of Amsoil.

uploadfromtaptalk1410294735976.jpg

Well, it says it surpasses dexos1 spec and recommended for dexos1 applications.

Yes it does. From what I've read it's not hard to surpass the specification of Dexos 1. Like others have said it's more of a money making gimmick.

Archived