2010 GMC Sierra 5.3 low oil pressure

I've got a 2010 Sierra with the 5.3 AFM. Its got 107,000 miles, just over 3,000 miles on last oil change. Pennzoil platinum 5W-30. Oil in the correct range on the dipstick.

The other day, kinda cold day, I started it up to get warm for about five-ten minutes. No issues.

Started driving and get a few hundred feet and oil pressure gauge goes to zero, oil light comes on with message to shut engine off.

I shut it off, then start it back up and oil pressure goes back to ~35 psi and then right back to zero within 30 seconds.

It's parked right now.

Is this a common issue and what else could it be besides oil pressure sensor?

I've heart stories that the oil filter came loose in some cases or the oil cooler lines.

Did you check for leaks?

Sounds like the pump was running w/o oil due to a low level. After the engine was off the oil in the engine drained back in the pan and gave you another 30 sec of running time.

so long

j-ten-ner

Edited by j-ten-ner

It's becoming a common issue with these AFM motors. There is a filter screen just below the oil pressure sensor that plugs up and you get the low pressure alarm. No real loss of oil pressure, just to the sensor. This screen is in there supposedly to clean the oil going to the cylinder de-activation system (AFM).

• Like 1

Taking into dealership this week. Hoping for something simple. This thing is consuming a lot of oil and I will be getting a Range chip to turn off AFM.

What would a black oily film on the condensation coming out of the tailpipe mean?

Edited by rws262

It means that the engine is producing more carbon, thus from the oil burning. Get it fixed before the end of the powertrain warranty.

What are my options if I am past the warranty period? A Range chip is on the way.

Ahh yes, I see your truck is at 107k.. I would get the Range at the minimum, try seafoam and see if that frees the rings up. I would try talking to the dealer to see if they will Goodwill the overhaul, or pay for a good portion of it.

Quick update: after sitting for a week, I was able to change the oil and filter today. After changing oil, oil pressure went to 40 psi and stayed there. Drove it about 15 miles to dealership and stayed right around/little bit under 40 psi. Acting nothing like it was before. But I did notice smoke under hard accel and really noticed the black film on condensation out of tailpipe and a ton of carbon on exhaust pipe and bumper.

My truck is at 107,770 miles. Is there any chance a dealer would goodwill overhaul or help me out? This thing has consumed oil for a while but there's no way I can afford complete overhaul.

Quick update: after sitting for a week, I was able to change the oil and filter today. After changing oil, oil pressure went to 40 psi and stayed there. Drove it about 15 miles to dealership and stayed right around/little bit under 40 psi. Acting nothing like it was before. But I did notice smoke under hard accel and really noticed the black film on condensation out of tailpipe and a ton of carbon on exhaust pipe and bumper.

My truck is at 107,770 miles. Is there any chance a dealer would goodwill overhaul or help me out? This thing has consumed oil for a while but there's no way I can afford complete overhaul.

It's possible they will, but I wouldn't count on it. Has the dealership documented the oil consumption? If so it might be more likely they'll make an effort to help you out.