Should/Will GM up the HP on the 5.3 in 2016 ?

What makes you think GM can just pour horsepower out like candy?

Not saying they should in a truck. My point was more or less the camaro gets beat at the track by the stang mainly due to weight. Could get some good weight savings by dumping hte 6.2 in the maro and going to a 5.3. Only way a camaro is beating a mustang currently is to a blower on it which isnt fair. So one would think after 5-6 years of the same engine in the camaro, GM might want to design something to beat the mustang.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want diesel for both longevity of their engines and the better MPG's. That and I hate active fuel management and the valve buildup issues these DI gas engines have. My uncle has a 96 Ram with a Cummins diesel engine that is still going strong. My grandfather had an old Isuzu P'kup with a diesel engine that went 319,000 miles before he got rid of it. There's just too many changes happening with gas engines these days that the technology is flaky and unreliable. I'm hoping this Ecotec3 engine has fixed all of the issues the previous generation Vortec engines had but I'll be honest, I'm on eggshells with it. I'd love a nice small block Duramax and a painted frame (non wax coated) like the new Colorado/Canyon have.

if your talking current diesel engines in a 3/4 or 1 ton good luck getting better MPGs. You would be lucky to break even with a gasser and even then your paying 50 cents or more a gallon for diesel.

MyLink radio improvements.

Eh, the reason its not up to par is because in the next few years it will be either Apple Car Play, or Android Auto. Why invest in something when it will just go by the wayside eventually.

I want diesel for both longevity of their engines and the better MPG's. That and I hate active fuel management and the valve buildup issues these DI gas engines have. My uncle has a 96 Ram with a Cummins diesel engine that is still going strong. My grandfather had an old Isuzu P'kup with a diesel engine that went 319,000 miles before he got rid of it. There's just too many changes happening with gas engines these days that the technology is flaky and unreliable. I'm hoping this Ecotec3 engine has fixed all of the issues the previous generation Vortec engines had but I'll be honest, I'm on eggshells with it. I'd love a nice small block Duramax and a painted frame (non wax coated) like the new Colorado/Canyon have.

I used to trade often cause I drove a lot of miles. Im retiring early and plan to keep it for 5 years or longer. Hope it holds up, I sure have had great GMs in the past.

if your talking current diesel engines in a 3/4 or 1 ton good luck getting better MPGs. You would be lucky to break even with a gasser and even then your paying 50 cents or more a gallon for diesel.

I want a small block Diesel designed specifically for the 1500 trucks. Like GM was doing before the economy tanked and they went bankrupt. I think it was 4.5L Duramax? It doesn't need to be that big either. The old Cummins 5 cylinder Turbo Diesel on the Ram 2500's pulls nearly just as well as any 2500 Duramax or F250 Power Stroke V8. And we're talking a version for a 1500 truck so it doesn't even have to be that big of an engine. It's possible to get diesel with some power and torque and not have the worse MPG's of a 2500 or 3500 truck.

Eh, the reason its not up to par is because in the next few years it will be either Apple Car Play, or Android Auto. Why invest in something when it will just go by the wayside eventually.

True. I mainly was just listing out all my complaints with a $45,000 truck haha

I used to trade often cause I drove a lot of miles. Im retiring early and plan to keep it for 5 years or longer. Hope it holds up, I sure have had great GMs in the past.

I truly believe the last great GM truck was a 2006. The oil consumption/active fuel management started in 2007 and it's been downhill from there as far as reliability goes. My dad's 2003 suburban has less frame rust than my 2014 Silverado. The fact is they don't make them like they used to. They've sacrificed quality in the areas you don't see to spend money on luxury features and interior specialties. I understand the government fuel standards and high gas prices have contributed to the rapidly changing engine technology that is not very reliable at first until the kinks are worked out over time. But I feel for the guys that bought a 2014 truck based on their experiences with pre-2007 GM trucks. I hope I'm wrong but I fear they're in for a rude awakening.

As someone who drove a 5.9 Dodge Cummins for over 160k miles, diesel engines from the 90's are completely different and new diesels have to adhere to a much, much stricter set of emission rules now days. And I hate to break it to you but every vehicle on the road now days is having issues with oil build-up in the valves. Its just a by product of the current EGR and PCV systems used in vehicles now days.

Watch the first 5 minutes of Dodge's Ecodiesel video below;

Because of the now very strict emission laws Diesels vehicles have many more systems that need to be maintained. If you are wanting to buy a Diesel because of "better" gas mileage do some more research. Not only is Diesel is an average of $1per gallon but, maintenance costs are easily 2-3x higher compared to a gas engine with routine oil changes costing upwards of $350. It used to be that a Diesels oil change intervals were so much greater than a gas engines that the difference was negligible, but any new gas engine can be on the same oil for at least 10,000 miles.

Diesels are good if you tow allot and you have the funds and ability to maintain them. If you are buying a diesel truck because you want better gas milage and think its going to save you money, you are going to have a bad time.

I want a small block Diesel designed specifically for the 1500 trucks. Like GM was doing before the economy tanked and they went bankrupt. I think it was 4.5L Duramax? It doesn't need to be that big either. The old Cummins 5 cylinder Turbo Diesel on the Ram 2500's pulls nearly just as well as any 2500 Duramax or F250 Power Stroke V8. And we're talking a version for a 1500 truck so it doesn't even have to be that big of an engine. It's possible to get diesel with some power and torque and not have the worse MPG's of a 2500 or 3500 truck.

True. I mainly was just listing out all my complaints with a $45,000 truck haha

Oh ok. yeah i would like to see it as well. only problem is if they follow rams model, it doesnt make sense. Ram needs to add about 50hp imo and maybe a little more torque. But the big problem with ram is the payload and towing capacity is actually lower than the gas engine. Top it off yeah its 28mpg hwy but factor in the cost of diesel, and the fact the engine is a 4 grand upcharge, it would take you 12 years to get your money back, so its really not worth it.

As someone who drove a 5.9 Dodge Cummins for over 160k miles, diesel engines from the 90's are completely different and new diesels have to adhere to a much, much stricter set of emission rules now days. And I hate to break it to you but every vehicle on the road now days is having issues with oil build-up in the valves. Its just a by product of the current EGR and PCV systems used in vehicles now days.

Watch the first 5 minutes of Dodge's Ecodiesel video below;

Because of the now very strict emission laws Diesels vehicles have many more systems that need to be maintained. If you are wanting to buy a Diesel because of "better" gas mileage do some more research. Not only is Diesel is an average of $1per gallon but, maintenance costs are easily 2-3x higher compared to a gas engine with routine oil changes costing upwards of $350. It used to be that a Diesels oil change intervals were so much greater than a gas engines that the difference was negligible, but any new gas engine can be on the same oil for at least 10,000 miles.

Diesels are good if you tow allot and you have the funds and ability to maintain them. If you are buying a diesel truck because you want better gas milage and think its going to save you money, you are going to have a bad time.

I mean I don't want a new Ram Ecodiesel, but that certainly isn't good news about the modern diesel technology in general. Perhaps I should do some more research before wanting a diesel so badly.

And did that guy say he blew out his oil gaskets by disrupting the PCV system with an oil catch can? Should us oil catch can guys be worried about something similar happening on our trucks?

I mean I don't want a new Ram Ecodiesel, but that certainly isn't good news about the modern diesel technology in general. Perhaps I should do some more research before wanting a diesel so badly.

And did that guy say he blew out his oil gaskets by disrupting the PCV system with an oil catch can? Should us oil catch can guys be worried about something similar happening on our trucks?

I know you dont want a ram diesel. But my point was if GM followed the same line as Ram and had the relative same concept, by the time you factor in cost, diesel pricing, youd have to own the truck for over a decade to break even, and with maint cost on a diesel, you would be in the hole on a half ton diesel, that provided nothing more than gassers as far as capability.

But yeah I would take a look into it. Lot of guys have these 1996 cummins diesel pipe dreams when diesel was cheaper than gas. Diesel doesnt make sense unless you need power and are fine paying for that power. But as it sits your not getting it in a half ton application. Lot more equipment and tech on these engines these days that kill MPG and potentially add more maint once your warranty is up

I know you dont want a ram diesel. But my point was if GM followed the same line as Ram and had the relative same concept, by the time you factor in cost, diesel pricing, youd have to own the truck for over a decade to break even, and with maint cost on a diesel, you would be in the hole on a half ton diesel, that provided nothing more than gassers as far as capability.

But yeah I would take a look into it. Lot of guys have these 1996 cummins diesel pipe dreams when diesel was cheaper than gas. Diesel doesnt make sense unless you need power and are fine paying for that power. But as it sits your not getting it in a half ton application.

Yeah I understand what you're saying. I guess I'll do some more research on the subject. Either way I'm hanging on to my truck for the next 4 years until it's paid off.

I am worried though about developing a leak like this guy did because of the oil catch can....

Yeah I understand what you're saying. I guess I'll do some more research on the subject. Either way I'm hanging on to my truck for the next 4 years until it's paid off.

I am worried though about developing a leak like this guy did because of the oil catch can....

Good luck. Some food for thought. A lot of people look at paying off a vehicle before they get a new one. Sometimes do the math on say trading in year 3 or 4 not having it paid off vs year 5 and paid off. Longer you wait your truck is worth less as its a year older with more miles. You might not be saving yourself anything or possibly losing money. Just something to think about. For me personally doing the math on it all paying of vehicles doesnt make sense. Just short example without getting into it to much. For you if you buy a vehicle every 5 years thats two trucks in 10 years say the truck cost you 45k out the door. OVer 10 years you spent 90k on two trucks and out of 10 years you have 4 of those not covered by bumper to bumper, also figure keep a truck 5 years you more than likely put new tires on it and possibly replaced other things.

Now keep your payment say at $500 or less lease or buy doesnt matter and get a truck every three years, so thats 3.3 new trucks in 10 years. 500 bucks a month for 10 years runs you 60k for those trucks for 10 years. Also more you have full warranty coverage the whole time and in 3 years chances are you are not replacing anything. Just some food for thought. With this model your getting 3/4 of one truck free in a sense vs buying two in 10 years like you might be doing.

Im staying away from the catch can, I can see the benefit but I have a lifetime warranty through Car Pro with the dealer so Ill see how all that plays out.

I agree I see the merits. But if I have a warranty and plan on getting rid of that vehicle during the warranty Im not spending money on it. Engine goes it goes thats what the warranty is for, and Im not going to let a catch can get into the discussion during a warranty claim. To top it off, if it was that serious all cars would have one installed from the factory.

Good luck. Some food for thought. A lot of people look at paying off a vehicle before they get a new one. Sometimes do the math on say trading in year 3 or 4 not having it paid off vs year 5 and paid off. Longer you wait your truck is worth less as its a year older with more miles. You might not be saving yourself anything or possibly losing money. Just something to think about. For me personally doing the math on it all paying of vehicles doesnt make sense. Just short example without getting into it to much. For you if you buy a vehicle every 5 years thats two trucks in 10 years say the truck cost you 45k out the door. OVer 10 years you spent 90k on two trucks and out of 10 years you have 4 of those not covered by bumper to bumper, also figure keep a truck 5 years you more than likely put new tires on it and possibly replaced other things.

Now keep your payment say at $500 or less lease or buy doesnt matter and get a truck every three years, so thats 3.3 new trucks in 10 years. 500 bucks a month for 10 years runs you 60k for those trucks for 10 years. Also more you have full warranty coverage the whole time and in 3 years chances are you are not replacing anything. Just some food for thought. With this model your getting 3/4 of one truck free in a sense vs buying two in 10 years like you might be doing.

Yeah this is interesting. I'll keep that in mind. I mean I originally planned on driving this thing for 7-10 years so we'll see. I may change my tune though if problems start popping up.

Im staying away from the catch can, I can see the benefit but I have a lifetime warranty through Car Pro with the dealer so Ill see how all that plays out.

If I had a lifetime warranty I definitely wouldn't have done the catch can. I didn't even know a warranty like that was available!

I agree I see the merits. But if I have a warranty and plan on getting rid of that vehicle during the warranty Im not spending money on it. Engine goes it goes thats what the warranty is for, and Im not going to let a catch can get into the discussion during a warranty claim. To top it off, if it was that serious all cars would have one installed from the factory.

I hear what you're saying about the warranty. That's why I kept the stock PCV line so I can return it to stock if I need to. I disagree with your last statement though. It may not be THAT serious but the reason it really doesn't come stock is because it's not THAT serious DURING THE WARRANTY PERIOD. GM, and all manufacturers really, have designed everything to get them through the powertrain warranty on average. They have no incentive to make it last longer than that as they lose out on profit on the initial sale to protect it during a time where they don't have to cover the repairs anyway. They also require draining which the average driver isn't interested in checking these things and monitoring how full the can gets at different times of the year. Customers on average have a "set it and forget it" mentality. They do their oil changes every 7,500 miles per the manual and anything else is a huge inconvenience that may drive them to another manufacturer. Only the enthusiasts are interested in learning about these things and making the extra effort to check them.

Archived