Should/Will GM up the HP on the 5.3 in 2016 ?

As I stated in one of my other posts I really think they should up the HP on the 5.3 to atleast 380-385 . It may only be 25-30 HP but I beleive it would be big help .

The TQ is fine at 383

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well all 3 gassers that came in the '14s were all new engine designs so I doubt they will up the #s on the 5.3 that soon. If you have E85 near you then just use that, but I don't have any nowhere near close enough to me. If you want more power just go with the 6.2. The 5.3 is all you need in a full size 1/2 ton in my opinion, well depending on what gear ratio you have.

doesnt really matter if you ask me, they are right there with Fords 5.0 and ecoboost, and just shy of the hemi. Considering its a truck they would much better off offering more torque if anything. Adding 20hp at the end of the day will do nothing.

I see that Ford increased the output of the 5.0 for the 2015 F150. It's now 385 HP @ 5750 RPM and 387 lb/ft @ 3850 RPM

Fellas , these are good replies. I have the 6.2 personally but thinking about the 5.0 and the 385? Hp they are rated at. No tunes just wondering if gm would be giving us at least the same hp numbers of the smaller 5.0 engine

Just matching..

I went with the 6.2L motor, never have to worry about power. if I want more then I just mod the 6.2L and I am still ahead of the other trucks other than the ones with F/I.

Fellas , these are good replies. I have the 6.2 personally but thinking about the 5.0 and the 385? Hp they are rated at. No tunes just wondering if gm would be giving us at least the same hp numbers of the smaller 5.0 engine

Just matching..

425 HP isn't enough? You have to remember, Fords and GMs engines are like day and night. Ford gets a lot more HP out their modular engines with smaller displacement.

Look at the new Mustang for example. 435hp out of a 302 (5.0). Chevy gets 425hp out of a 6.2l Camaro. That 6.2 should be 500+HP. Like I said though, two different engine designs.

Just matching..

425 HP isn't enough? You have to remember, Fords and GMs engines are like day and night. Ford gets a lot more HP out their modular engines with smaller displacement.

Look at the new Mustang for example. 435hp out of a 302 (5.0). Chevy gets 425hp out of a 6.2l Camaro. That 6.2 should be 500+HP. Like I said though, two different engine designs.

The only thing I can figure is that Ford likes to get more power out of the engines from the factory, but being smaller displacements I think leaves less upgrading room. At the end of the day, you could get more power and TQ out of a GM engine or that's just what I think.

HP/TQ numbers continue to climb for the 1/2 ton truck market. Realistically, the base engine in the Ram, Ford and GM trucks is more than adequate for dang near anything a 1/2 ton truck should do. Need more power? No, you need a heavier-duty truck. Remember when the Cummins came out in 89 and it was great for Dodge and the other makes soon followed with diesel improvements? Well, today's Ram Ecodiesel is as strong as that Cummins was and more. I'm not knocking anyone that thinks it needs to be bumped up, just wondering if it'll ever end.

The real question is whether the strength of the rest of the trucks can keep up with these ever-more-powerful engines.

true, but ford also has more motor and trany issues, and the same 6.2 put into the vette gets 460hp, the potential in the GM power trains is there, they just dont max it out to play on the safe side. (also im aware the camaro competes against the stang...not the vette vs stang)

GM generally gives a little HP boost with a tune and some minor changes every couple years, i wouldnt be surprised if the 5.3 is pushing high 300's in the next 3 yrs. its a HP and gas mileage war between the big 3 right now.

there is no replacement for displacement.

the 5.0 is a great motor that ford has and people are getting great numbers on them as far as mod for mod goes. but the 6.2 is a beast of a motor and has just as much potential if not more. however, the Camaros are getting beat at the track, drag strip to be exact by the 5.0 b/c the Camaros are too fat. not to mention working on the front part of the mustang motor is pita to say the least. ill stick with a 2 foot (circumference) timing chain over the 9 mile timing chain fords use in their modular motors and their 4 cams. no thanks!

Archived