Normal? Loud clunk going from D to R and back?

I've been having some of the other mentioned transmission "anomalies" such as abrupt 1-2-3, 3-2-1 shifts, a few instances where the transmission has almost felt like did slipped little. Random instances of abrupt shifts coming off coasting/slowing down and the clunk/thump in the rear end/driveline.

I've never noticed this in other vehicles and our Hyundai suv doesn't make noise like this.

Happened to back the truck up a few feet with the door open and noticed this.

Is this level of noise normal or expected with these trucks? For this video I held my foot on the brake and was shifting between D and R. You can hear my gear shift lever chanting and then the loud clunk second later when the transmission changes. I've never gotten any warning lights or anything. I have noticed a few times where it seems to hang for a second before it actually shifts but never noticed the clunking before.

Just seeing if this is normal.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj284/steven_sutton1/Mobile%20Uploads/th_20150220_150525_zpsaw7skusp.mp4

Edited by Steve1199

I believe what your hearing is in the rear-end, the play between the rack and pinion gear. Also the gear selection from drive to reverse. Yes its normal. Over time it will wear more, best thing to do is come to a complete stop before changing drive to reverse (vise-versa), change the gear oil when recommended, and take care of it/etc.

Daniel

I see people all the time do the following, while truck is still rolling backward, they place the vehicle in drive and vise versa. Thats not doing your clutch packs any favors, nor the rear-end. Vehicles are expensive, I believe in taking care of them.

• Like 1

What I think is happening is parking on a slight incline so when you let off the brake after putting it in park the truck will roll a little which will bind up the drivetrain. I always use my parking brake unless I'm in a parking lot where I know it's level so I won't have this happen. The right way to do it is to apply the parking brake with the trans in neutral and then let off the brake so the parking brake catches the truck and then put it in park.

Edited by SouthernSilveradoGuy85

What I think is happening is parking on a slight incline so when you let off the brake after putting it in park the truck will roll a little which will bind up the drivetrain. I always use my parking brake unless I'm in a parking lot where I know it's level so I won't have this happen. The right way to do it is to apply the parking brake with the trans in neutral and then let off the brake so the parking brake catches the truck and then put it in park.

I do that with my vehicles, keeps the pressure off the transmission park gear. Very smart Steve!

• Like 1

I see people all the time do the following, while truck is still rolling backward, they place the vehicle in drive and vise versa. Thats not doing your clutch packs any favors, nor the rear-end. Vehicles are expensive, I believe in taking care of them.

Your owner's manual specifically warns against this, as it may damage the transmission if done repeatedly.

• Like 1

Truck was on level ground,not moving, foot held firmly on the brake. Truck lurched a little bit with each shift.

Still normal?

I heard this while backing into a parking space one day and had to pull forward. It has nothing to do with being on an incline or rolling. If you set the parking break so the truck does not move and switch from Rev to Fwd you will hear it. I brought it to my dealers attention on my 1st oil change and they said it is normal. I believe it's just the play in the shaft rotating back and forth.

Mine does the same thing. It will randomly clunk and shift hard into drive or reverse from park. And when driving around town and coasting either to a stop or slowing slightly and then giving it a little gas, every so often it will an abrupt/hard down shift and make a clunking noise. The truck drives fine overall other than those random hiccups.

• 4 years later...

I know this is a old thread but I purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra. The issues you described Are identical from what I’m experiencing. 

It seems like even at a dead stop switching into reverse or forward there’s an initial clunk noise. As well as random shifting annoyances. 

Of the few other trucks I’ve owned as well as other cars in my household I’ve never experienced this issue.

I kind of think it’s getting worse and wonder if there’s something that can be done like adjustments or possible worn parts in the rear end, trans etc.

51 minutes ago, West said:

I know this is a old thread but I purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra. The issues you described Are identical from what I’m experiencing. 

It seems like even at a dead stop switching into reverse or forward there’s an initial clunk noise. As well as random shifting annoyances. 

Of the few other trucks I’ve owned as well as other cars in my household I’ve never experienced this issue.

I kind of think it’s getting worse and wonder if there’s something that can be done like adjustments or possible worn parts in the rear end, trans etc.

Welcome to the site.

How many miles, do you know the service history of the truck?

More than likely, it is your transmission, maybe torque converter. Lots of posts on the site about both, and the characteristics they both display when there is a problem.

With it parked in neutral see how much movement & what kind of noises you get rotating the driveshaft back & forth by hand. I was shocked how much play there was with mine from almost new but it doesn't seem to have got any worse after 120,000 kms.

2014, 5.3, 4x4, work truck