L83 Cam Swap

So has anybody swapped an l86(12629512) cam for their l83? been looking into a cam swap for a while and I would like to keep full vvt. don't see why the phaser would need to be replaced, both cams use the same phaser. Im a gm tech at a dealer and from what I have seen working on these is the only difference is with the cam, and the valve springs but im not going to worry about those yet. Just wondering is anybody has gotten around to doing this.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/24/2016 at 2:27 PM, Lupe Figueroa said:

I have a 2016 5.3 silverado, I installed the cam that comes factory on the 2016 z06 corvette, I'm installing a turbo and this cam produces more fuel at the mechanical fuel pump that comes on the l83 motor, this is a big job since you are supposed to remove the heads but I work at Chevy and we did it without having to, a lot easier, the computer adjusted itself and the truck ran like if no changes had been made, I decided to tune it before installing the turbo with the new cam and it went from 10.02 to 9.6 in the 1/8 mile my truck is a short bed single cab with factory 3.42 gears with posi traction, next time I'll try it with e85 fuel before I install my t88 precision turbo which should give me around 650 hp to the wheels without having to reinforce the bottom end or replacing any other parts.

Thanks for this information. I have been looking into the L86/LT1 camshaft swap since I bought my truck a couple months ago. I plan to retain my factory DOD/AFM system and install bolt ons. Not shooting for crazy numbers just want a little more power out of my truck, and I didn't see a purpose in installing an LT4 camshaft due to the fact I don't plan to add a turbocharger or supercharger. I will attempt to make a video or at least take pictures of the swap once I acquire all the parts. It may help someone later on. Thanks again

• 2 months later...