L83 Cam Swap

I saw Comp Cams make 3 different grinds for the gen V DI engines. I read an article on a swap in a new LT1 Vette with the biggest cam. It also needed the VVT limiter, new valve springs installed and a custom tune. If there's enough cam swaps out of vettes there should be factory LT1 cams out there for cheap that would be more of a direct swap for the L83 without messing phaser.

It's REAL CHEAP... I was given a LT1 cam that has maybe a 100 miles on it and considered using it but I think the 5.3 will suffer low end torque loss.

RT

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any updates. I have been shopping around and talking to some vette speed shops in So Cal

They think they can get about 415 Hp to the wheels with a tune. He said he was going to look into keeping the low end power.

Have not heard back from him.

400whp from a 5.3 would be ~ 110whp gain if I recall correctly on what I've read from stock dyno numbers.

I'd believe that with headers, intake, tune and a good cam.

I do wonder though about the real cost of a cam swap with these. You know the L99 camaro is very limited over the LS3 6 speed cars because of VVT and DOD. You either have to do an "ls3 conversion" and delete all that stuff, which costs big bucks, or go with a lower profile cam.

I mean you're in the engine anyway but.. needing new lifters means having to take the heads off, which means new head bolts, gaskets, you probably need new springs..

If you're out the door on a cam swap for less than $1100 I'd be surprised. For 110whp though.. that's chump change. That's almost as much as what folks are seeing with the magnuson supercharged 5.3s.. and those chargers run about $6500..

I've been waiting on TSP to catch up with the new DI motors to see what kinda numbers they pull. I used to call them and pick their brains every couple of days when I had my LQ4 project going on. :lol: I settled on a 228r cam from them with that truck motor and even it pulled 405 at the wheels on a 99 RCSB 4x4.

It depends on what your goal is...Do you want a screamer that makes all of the power up top (track time) or is it a daily driver where low to mid TORQUE IS KING. I wouldn't chase the HP numbers to much... Your HP number is the Torque curve carried over time. Get a really good mid range torque cam with these heads it will pull up top with a proper tune and low to mid range will be brutal. Remember HP is fast Torque is Quick!

RT

My thought is that a cam that will allow for 100 hp gain will kill the economy big time. Any of you guys run anything like this in these LS motors?

Ive never seen a cam give supercharger numbers, and that said the donkey dick cam will kill idle and economy

I'd love to see 370lb tq at ~4000K rpm and gains under the curve prior to that (I should've just got the LTZ, lol). I don't think that's ask too much at all from a cam.

Anything that's going to get a 5.3 to that 400whp range is going to kill the fuel economy for sure.

Edited by 14'SilveradoLT