Quick Help - 5100 Snap Ring Position Question

So I had a shop put on a set of 5100's on all 4 corners of my rig, along with a set of TOYO AT2 285/65/R18 on stock rims, and now my truck rides like crap. I hit a speed bump at Safeway at 8mph and the front wheels hopped off the ground, this is telling me there is to much pre-load on the front shock assembly.

In inspecting my shop's work, I noticed they set the Bilsteen's at the max height snap ring setting, which I am guessing is the root of my problem, they also installed a 1/4in bottom spacer plate in the front.

I am probably going to take everything apart today and move the snap-ring down 1 setting which is what other form members seem to be doing, however I wanted to know if I could just remove the 1/4 spacer in the front.

In short, if I want better handling should I just:

1. Move the snap-rings down one setting.

2. Move the snap-ring down one setting and remove the 1/4 spacer.

3. Just remove the spacer.

1/4 inch spacer isn't really making anything worse. You can move the clip a few notches lower ( If you can now that it's installed) But your going to lose about .75 of lift.

If you still don't like them.... get the Rancho 2in quick lift

So I had a shop put on a set of 5100's on all 4 corners of my rig, along with a set of TOYO AT2 285/65/R18 on stock rims, and now my truck rides like crap. I hit a speed bump at Safeway at 8mph and the front wheels hopped off the ground, this is telling me there is to much pre-load on the front shock assembly.

In inspecting my shop's work, I noticed they set the Bilsteen's at the max height snap ring setting, which I am guessing is the root of my problem, they also installed a 1/4in bottom spacer plate in the front.

I am probably going to take everything apart today and move the snap-ring down 1 setting which is what other form members seem to be doing, however I wanted to know if I could just remove the 1/4 spacer in the front.

In short, if I want better handling should I just:

1. Move the snap-rings down one setting.

2. Move the snap-ring down one setting and remove the 1/4 spacer.

3. Just remove the spacer.

I think you're the second or third person on here who didn't like the ride with the Billies. I thought I wanted them, but now I'm not sure.

I don't think its the Bilsteens, but rather how they are set up, by using the top snap ring / settings the front springs are pre loaded more than stock which makes for a harsher rebound.

This is not the setup I wanted, I think the shop I used just rushed it. Once I get it lowered I will post an update and some pics but that will have to wait till next week as I have to drive to Amirillo and back.

It does not helped that they botched the alignment so I have a pull to the left and the camber or toe seems off

"""I don't think its the Bilsteens, but rather how they are set up, by using the top snap ring / settings the front springs are pre loaded more than stock which makes for a harsher rebound"""

this is correct... but everyone buys these shocks so they CAN adjust .... normally to the top 1.8in snap ring to get leveled. They are especially bad if you have a spacer in the mix like I had ( 2in)

I am interested in how this turns out too. I have been considering putting the 5100's on my 2014 Silverado. I had them on my 2012 Silverado and they were great. I liked the ride and they leveled the truck. I'm just trying to get more information as to how they perform on the 2014's.

The only bad reviews I have seen on them have spacers installed as well.

you are right

Zasker1 please remove the spacer and tell us how it turns out

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know how this turns out too. I have the 5100's. Already installed the rears today. Just waiting for the time to get the fronts installed. How do they ride on the highest setting?

I wish I could find some information on the torque specs of the front suspension parts. I know I will have to remove something in order to get the struts out and back in again. There doesn't seem to be any repair manuals for this truck yet.

so I thought about 2500 miles on my 5100 set at the highest perch driving from Phoenix to Amarillo and back and it is a pretty miserable arrived combined with be rated tires I have I just had time this week to have a shop moving down one level and the Android is much better however I did have to get a second alignment now it rides like a dream although I wish I had just manned up and installed the Cognito UCA and fox 2.0.

but for now the handling is excellent will measure my bumpers tomorrow to give you some ride height measurements

so I thought about 2500 miles on my 5100 set at the highest perch driving from Phoenix to Amarillo and back and it is a pretty miserable arrived combined with be rated tires I have I just had time this week to have a shop moving down one level and the Android is much better however I did have to get a second alignment now it rides like a dream although I wish I had just manned up and installed the Cognito UCA and fox 2.0.

but for now the handling is excellent will measure my bumpers tomorrow to give you some ride height measurements

Ride quality seems to be dependent on the person driving the vehicle. I have a feeling 5100's would be too rough and 1.25" lift isn't enough for me. Some people have even said they had to go down to the 5/8th setting to be able to enjoy the ride. Personally I didn't want to have to deal with changing the height so I just ordered rancho quicklifts. This way if I'm not happy with the ride I can adjust the dampening. Give us an update on the long term rideability at this setting if you can!

That spacer is not 1/4" from what I can see in the picture. The bolt holding the shock in place is a 10 mm diameter. That spacer is at least that thick. I'm thinking you have a 1/2" spacer and that equates to a 1" lift. Then you had the shocks at their 1.8" setting. That's about 2.8" of lift. Your setup moved the A arms into an angle that provides less mechanical leverage on the spring. "pre-load" schme-load. That aint the issue here.

Archived