Coolant Leak from Head 2015 Silverado 5.3L

First - New member. Hi everyone. I traded in my Avalanche on a 2015 Silverado 1500 about two weeks ago. Two days ago, I dropped by the dealership due to an antifreeze smell. At 700 miles, I figured nothing serious. I was wrong. After pressure testing, they found that it was leaking from the head, down the side of the engine. Today they called and said that the head itself is bad and had coolant in two of the head bolt holes. They claim that no coolant was in the oil. Currently waiting on parts. Apparently it's not a common problem because my google searches came up empty.

Of course, I'm not happy about my new truck being dissected already. What can I do?

You can let them fix it.

As you said, it's not common.

Don't forget, that probably every part on the pickup has been changed on somebodies truck. That's why there is warranty.

Still sucks when it's your truck that needs work.

Hopefully they'll have you running quick.

Even if the coolant had mixed with the oil it doesn't mean the engine is toast. That is easy to see as well, if the oil had coolant in it the oil would be very milky. As long as it is repaired and works as it should you will be fine.

It looks like I may be having this issue as well.

I found coolant on the ground and traced it back to the head gasket directly under the rearmost sparkplug on the passenger side.

Vehicle is at 2015 tahoe with 200 miles on it produced in Jan of this year.

Dealer will be looking at it on Monday.

Jim+ -- Please keep us updated and I will do the same.

It looks like I may be having this issue as well.

I found coolant on the ground and traced it back to the head gasket directly under the rearmost sparkplug on the passenger side.

Vehicle is at 2015 tahoe with 200 miles on it produced in Jan of this year.

Dealer will be looking at it on Monday.

Jim+ -- Please keep us updated and I will do the same.

Check your engine oil level and see if there is coolant in the oil. It's usually easy to figure out, the oil level will be high and/or the oil will be milky from the coolant.

Check your engine oil level and see if there is coolant in the oil. It's usually easy to figure out, the oil level will be high and/or the oil will be milky from the coolant.

Thanks yeah, first thing I looked at after finding the coolant dripping down the block.

Oil is still clear which is good. As Jim+ mentioned his oil came up showing no contamination as well.

Stopped by and talked to the technician on my way home from work yesterday. He showed me pictures of the coolant leaking from two of the head bolts. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Waiting on the head to arrive. In the meantime, I bought a rusty old 1984 Jeep CJ7 to tinker on. Wife is not happy.

Just talked to the dealer. I'll be getting a new head put on as well.

I am quite concerned that they have to take apart the engine on a vehicle with only 200 miles on it.

Good luck. Hopefully they are quicker with yours than they are with mine. It's been 8 days and they told me the new head might actually arrive today. Apparently GM doesn't use a shipping service with tracking.

Mine was leaking out of two head bolt holes. I have photos, but am not smart enough to figure out how to share.

UdDDIHW.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, the head was replaced on my engine. Ran fine for a couple of weeks. Now I am getting some noise coming out of the replaced head on startup. Could be valve noise but doesn't sound good whatever it is. Back to the dealer...again.

Mine is running fine after the repair if you don't count the power steering failure 3 days after getting it our of the shop for the head replacement.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes! My 2015 Silverado LTZ with 37k miles is presently having the heads replaced. Check engine light came on, and at first I was told that it was a bad head gasket, and to keep driving it for 2 weeks (over 1,000 miles). They stated it wouldn't hurt anything. Once in the shop, they are replacing the heads. I am concerned about additional problems now, as well as resale value. I may trade it in as soon as I get it back. $44k for a truck, and get 37k miles out of it......Shame on GM.

Archived