Would you say anything or just let it ride ??

I took my 2014 GMC Sierra w/ 11,600 mi on it in for a oil change and two recalls ( air bag wire harness and Inst Cluster update). After I dropped it off and was given a loaner the service advisor calls and says that the tech noticed that the air filter was dirty and they would replace it for 49.99. I told her no that I had one and would replace it myself, but I was thinking based on my 06 that there was no way that the filter could be that dirty yet. So I picked it up and all was smooth the dreaded cluster update seems like it went fine so when I get home I pull the filter and it looks brand new. Either it is just a money scam or maybe she was talking bout the cabin filter but I have not looked at it yet but I bet it is clean too. It just kinda burns me that they would make up some BS like that but I know how business' work. Reminds me of something I read once that said when the poor steal from the middle class it is called Robbery,when the middle class steal from the rich it is called Embezzlement and when the rich steal from everyone else it is called Business.

Thanks,

Yotaman

Check the cabin air filter, if you're not sure which one she was referring to. That seems a logical step before criticizing the business. If they're both clean, criticize away, but the cabin air filter needing relatively frequent replacement is well documented.

isn't the filter change based on certain mileage ie 15k or something like that? Maybe they were just going off the manufacturers recommendation and you being at 12k were pretty close.

If you really feel like you were cheated, I would contact the service manager and see what they were talking about and why they would recommend changing a filter that looks new. Does seems like sleazy used car salesman stuff, not something you would expect from a gm dealer

Just noticed they were talking about the air filter, thought you were talking about the cabin filter. Even then I just checked my gm manual for 15 denali and it says 2 years or 22500 miles.

I would def contact the service manager

https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2015/gmc/sierra_1500/2015%20GMC%20Sierra%201500.pdf

I doubt it was about the cabin filter because they're not going to take the glove box out just to check it. As for the air filter, the manual has air filter change/check every 45,000 miles which is good for a paper filter. Even if you live on a farm or live on a dirt road the filter shouldn't be dirty enough to change. I guess paper filters have come a long way the past few years because I remember having to change the one on my 98 about every other oil change. I've been meaning to check my cabin filter since some people are having to change them after only a year.

I took my 2014 GMC Sierra w/ 11,600 mi on it in for a oil change and two recalls ( air bag wire harness and Inst Cluster update). After I dropped it off and was given a loaner the service advisor calls and says that the tech noticed that the air filter was dirty and they would replace it for 49.99. I told her no that I had one and would replace it myself, but I was thinking based on my 06 that there was no way that the filter could be that dirty yet. So I picked it up and all was smooth the dreaded cluster update seems like it went fine so when I get home I pull the filter and it looks brand new. Either it is just a money scam or maybe she was talking bout the cabin filter but I have not looked at it yet but I bet it is clean too. It just kinda burns me that they would make up some BS like that but I know how business' work. Reminds me of something I read once that said when the poor steal from the middle class it is called Robbery,when the middle class steal from the rich it is called Embezzlement and when the rich steal from everyone else it is called Business.

Thanks,

Yotaman

My local GM dealership is extremely good at this sort of stuff. I took my truck in for an oil change and they gave me the same spiel about the engine air filter. They were explaining to me that it was quite dirty and would be restricting performance...

I had changed the filter myself roughly a week before I took the truck in for an oil change.

11,000 miles? Are you driving through a sandstorm daily?

I'd challenge them, somethings not right. I've had air filters go three times that mileage. Sounds like they are trying to take advantage of you...

Every dealer for any vehicle I've had serviced has at one time or another pulled the "you need to change the filter" scam. If they suspect it has some miles on it without even looking at it, they consider it "dirty". Hell, I sat in a Toyota dealership's waiting area years ago, and watched a service writer bring the same dirty ass air filter to two different ladies and tell them it was the filter from their car and needed to be changed. Same oak leaf stuck in the same spot. I called him on it the second time, and he swore up and down he just shows what the tech brings him. I never went back to that dealership after that.

My wife's Dodge dealership still puts stickers on the windshield to come back in 3mo/3K miles for the oil change. Their excuse is "big city, stop and go driving". On her last service, which was the 3 year mark, they said the spark plugs needed be changed without even pulling one to look at it. They went strictly by the "3yr/30K" schedule. The car only has 22K miles on it, no way the plugs are worn out. I just consider it standard "upselling" tricks they pull to better their bottom line.

That is exactly why I pull filters out of the vehicle and give them to the advisor for 2 reasons. 1 so they know I'm being honest and 2 let's face it the world of today is visual. If they say no they say no, some techs get all pissed about people not buying what they recommend. I cannot force someone purchase other services because I have no clue about there finances. I do my job and move on with life. I say let it ride. It was probably at the lube rack and not with an actual technician. Where I'm at the lube rack tries this all the time but I'm the shop foreman so I stop it before it becomes a problem. These younger people in the shop are a different breed, just want quick and easy money without any hard work.

The "ifs" here are pretty important.

#1 If the cabin filter is actually fine - and they weren't referencing that,

#2 If the service advisor actually stated it was dirty and not just 'due for a change',

I would drive there, pull it myself, and make one heck of a scene.

Thieves.

Archived