Road Trip and 2 month grade card

I purchased my truck nearly 2 months ago. I just got back from a 3 day, 1,350 mile road trip. I'm this trip I drive more conservative, seeing what my best mileage would be (19.2 with a best of 25.6). It has nearly 7k on it now and I thought I would post an update since I have been having a few concerns.

The transmission is getting REAL annoying, to the point where I brought it up to the Service Manager at my dealer when I took it in for an oil change. He asked me what was going on and I told him "that it's a slush box and quite frankly shits like shit". His answer? Yeah, it has a mind of it's own. Not being satisfied with the answer I pressed him further and asked of they could do the recent TSB for the 8 speed (mine is a 6 speed) and he said that he didn't know anything about it and didn't have any interest in looking into it. This rubbed me the wrong way, so I did a chat session with GM, this was nearly 3 weeks ago. The GM representative told me that she would get with the dealer to find a work around and the GM and/or the dealer would contact me. 2 weeks went by and I didn't hear a thing. I called GM and was told that they contacted the dealer and instructed them to call me, I told them that I haven't heard a thing. I was assured that the dealer would contact me.......Still waiting. On this most recent trip, I experienced "The Clunk".....Wow.....It is shocking when it happens. It was in heavy highway traffic when coasting to a stop.

Yesterday while on the highway, I was running 75mph and just happed to glance at the gauge cluster and watched the oil pressure jump up to 60 psi for about 10 seconds before it dropped to 40 psi (normal pressure).

I had to get into the brakes HARD on Saturday and the RR was "chirping" (locking up)....I found it weird that only one wheel did it.....But, the truck has incredible braking power for a 5300# tank.

As the ambient temperature keeps rising, I notice that cold starts are making the auto start sequence crank quite a bit longer before it finally fires.

Recommended tire pressure is 32psi.....My old Silverado was 44psi....At 32psi it seems to be "jelly rolling", I noticed this when I had to quickly dodge a "gator" in the middle of the highway. So I'm thinking about bumping the pressure up to 36psi to firm it up a bit.

It is pretty annoying when you finish a phone call and the center display doesn't go back to the previous screen from before the call.

The low beams seem a bit low, nobody ever flashes me, so I will attempt to raise them just a touch.

All in all, this truck is incredibly comfortable to drive, it's quiet, the seat is super comfortable and the ride is REALLY smooth.

You need to get a tune on that 6.2. You would love Justin's Black Bear TCM tune, completely transformed by transmission. Much more responsive now and feels like it should of from the dealer. Your local, I wouldn't mind letting you drive my truck around to see what it drives like. In the end yours would just have more power due to the 6.2.

32 psi does seem low to me as well, I've tried raising it, but it makes the truck ride so rough I've gone back down to 32.

I really recommend clamping your rear leafs to fix the shifting, Myself and others have all done it with 100% success. http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/172777-clunkthud-while-acceleratingslowing-down/page-6?do=findComment&comment=1641120

Headlights are easy to aim, you just need a Philips screw driver, you can access the adjuster from a hole on the top of the headlights.

Also the cold start being slow is common. In winter up here in canada it take a few more cranks for me, but its not an issue, just odd.

seems like the biggest concern for most of us is this stupid confused shifting and the clunking...

My uncle recently bought a 2015 2500 with the 6.0 and the same BS tranmission shifting confusion/flairing is present in his truck as well.

My buddies 2011 5.3 Silverado shifts and drives like a dream. No bucking, no non sence. No clunking. =(

He gets into mine and within 2 minutes asks " Whats wrong with your transmission?"

Go% Dam% frsutrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would go from really liking my truck to loving it if GM would fix this ..I cant for the life of me cant understand why it shifts like it does, why it cluncks. ...I dont care about tunning or cafe standards , this trucks bucking back and forth during slow speed driving is so damn annoying. I been in F150's and Rams and none of them have this BS bucking and confused BS .

Cmon GM> wake the Fu** up .

My work truck is a 2012 F150 with the 5.0 V8 and 6 speed transmission and believe me they are no better than what chevy has out. The hard and random transmission shift in mine along with other people I work with biggest complaint on F150's. Actually the 6 speed in the Ford and Chevy shift very similar to each other IMO and both suck at certain times and shift like a dream at other times.

My work truck is a 2012 F150 with the 5.0 V8 and 6 speed transmission and believe me they are no better than what chevy has out. The hard and random transmission shift in mine along with other people I work with biggest complaint on F150's. Actually the 6 speed in the Ford and Chevy shift very similar to each other IMO and both suck at certain times and shift like a dream at other times.

Can't say I've experienced the same thing on Fords 6 speed transmission. I've driven Dads Ecoboost quite a bit and shifts are always great. Nothing how my stock transmission behaved and it was what I was directly comparing it to. However, it does do this annoying thing when you go over a speed bump it will disengage the gear and slam it back in place once you hit the gas again. Sort of feels like you are doing a neutral to drive dump. It does it randomly though and at 170k miles it's still running strong.

Also, I run all my tires at 32psi and don't feel that they are too soft/squirmy at all. They tend to always feel pretty stiff. But, if you plan on towing allot I would increase tire pressures to the cold max psi.

Can't say I've experienced the same thing on Fords 6 speed transmission. I've driven Dads Ecoboost quite a bit and shifts are always great. Nothing how my stock transmission behaved and it was what I was directly comparing it to. However, it does do this annoying thing when you go over a speed bump it will disengage the gear and slam it back in place once you hit the gas again. Sort of feels like you are doing a neutral to drive dump. It does it randomly though and at 170k miles it's still running strong.

Also, I run all my tires at 32psi and don't feel that they are too soft/squirmy at all. They tend to always feel pretty stiff. But, if you plan on towing allot I would increase tire pressures to the cold max psi.

The tire pressures have felt good, it was just that one instance where I swerved abruptly to miss the debris that I noticed it.

My father owned an Ecoboost F150 as well. His shifted perfectly. He recently traded for a Ram with the 8 speed and V6 engine. It shifts perfectly. I'm always amazed when I drive it, it's like a sense of complete relief, joy, and excitement. I can't believe how horribly our transmissions react. It disgusts me every time I drive it.

And I have driven GM products equiped with the TH350, TH700R4, 4T60-E and my J10 had a TH400.

None of them, NONE were clunky, nervous, hard shifting or confused.

So it is possible for GM to provide nice and smooth shifting transmissions.

so long

j-ten-ner

Edit:

Thanks to the OP to remind me why I didn't seal a deal on the weekend.

I was tempted to jump into a '15 Sierra. It's not gonna happen 'til I hear better news.

And I have driven GM products equiped with the TH350, TH700R4, 4T60-E and my J10 had a TH400.

None of them, NONE were clunky, nervous, hard shifting or confused.

So it is possible for GM to provide nice and smooth shifting transmissions.

so long

j-ten-ner

Edit:

Thanks to the OP to remind me why I didn't seal a deal on the weekend.

I was tempted to jump into a '15 Sierra. It's not gonna happen 'til hear better news.

Not to deviate from the op but I think tnchevy was comparing the GM vs Ford transmission as they are both 6 speeds and are closely related in years. All the transmissions you described are 3 or 4 speeds.

Also, with the vibration and transmission issues that are so prevalent throughout all the chassis configurations I would do a long test drive before settling on a new 14 or 15' pickup. At least you have the benefit of knowing what issues to look for.

GM is unlikely to issue a TSB for any of these issues anytime soon.

Not to deviate from the op but I think tnchevy was comparing the GM vs Ford transmission as they are both 6 speeds and are closely related in years. All the transmissions you described are 3 or 4 speeds.

Also, with the vibration and transmission issues that are so prevalent throughout all the chassis configurations I would do a long test drive before settling on a new 14 or 15' pickup. At least you have the benefit of knowing what issues to look for.

GM is unlikely to issue a TSB for any of these issues anytime soon.

I don't think it really matters how many gears the trans has.

I drive Ford products at work. Nice, smooth shifting. No clunks. Real "manual" mode (F350 Powerstroke).

Maybe GM should continue to partner up with Ford to build the 10-speed.

Although GM's got the better designers, Ford's got the better engineers. Apparently.

so long

j-ten-ner

You need to get a tune on that 6.2. You would love Justin's Black Bear TCM tune, completely transformed by transmission. Much more responsive now and feels like it should of from the dealer. Your local, I wouldn't mind letting you drive my truck around to see what it drives like. In the end yours would just have more power due to the 6.2.

Thanks for the offer, when I got the 22% off code last night from AutoAnything, I had a knee jerk reaction and went to the darkside and got an InTune..... Really, I'm only interested in firming up the shifts just a little and raising the speed limiter.

Thanks for the offer, when I got the 22% off code last night from AutoAnything, I had a knee jerk reaction and went to the darkside and got an InTune..... Really, I'm only interested in firming up the shifts just a little and raising the speed limiter.

Awesome man, you will like it. If you ever feel that you need a little more, Diablew has great reviews on his Diablo tunes.

And if you ever want to see who's quickest let me know. We can always set something up. :cool:

Awesome man, you will like it. If you ever feel that you need a little more, Diablew has great reviews on his Diablo tunes.

What's better in your opinion? Blackbear or Diablew?

I was thinking about the "AutoCal" thing. Seems the best way for me since I've got a 6-speed.

so long

j-ten-ner

Archived