My brother's 2014 Silverado Crew, 5.3, collapsed lifter? AFM issue

Hey Y'all,

I've been enjoying my 2015 Silverado Crew Cab Z71 5.3 L since I bought it 2 months ago. Nearly 1300 miles so far, no vibrations or any other issues. I'm very happy with it so far. It's not 100% perfect, but it's been good so far.

My brother told me yesterday that when he started his after sitting for 4 days, he thought he heard something click when he was craking it, then it was hammering when it started. He drove it for a short while, took the trailer he was towing back home, disconnected it (took the truck out of tow/haul mode) and then he said he thinks when it went to V4 mode is when the noise stopped. He has 28K miles on it and it's been flawless until this occured. He said the sound was similar to a 5.3 video with a collapsed lifter I sent him, but he said it was louder than that.

Its been quiet ever since and his dealer told him he's not aware of any issues with the new 5.3 in the 2014+ trucks with engine issues ((that I have read about in the prior generation 5.3, AFM issues, lifter collapses, oil consuption due to piston ring issues in the cylinders that deactivate.

Since that time it's been quiet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue as to what happened or what caused this? Oil level is good and it's been regularly maintained by the dealer. Seems like a stuck lifter, possibly due to the AFM? has anyone heard of any engine issues or AFM issues on the new 5.3's?

When my 5yr/100K mile warranty is out I plan on installing a tune that perminetly deactivates the AFM so she runs in V8 mode all the time just to be safe.

Eventhough I have the chevy 2 yr maintenance included, I plan on doing my own service so I can use a good Full Syn oil, such as Valvoline and a high quality oil filter (WixXP) My brother had his truck way overfull one time by the dealer who serviced it, I think he said he saw oil coming out the valve cover or dipstick tube, I can't remeber which but it was overfiled. I have the ability to do my own work and just have better peace of mind knowing it's done right if I do it myself.

Any thoughts or help would be apprecaited as he's not sure what to do at this point since it's been quiet since the day it had the issue. He did talk to his dealer who told him if it does it again to bring it in and they will take a look at it for him.

Thanks,

Greg

Edited by GsBowtie

Check out this thread, post #189

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/164880-truck-the-dealer-for-a-loud-ticking-noise/page-13?hl=afm&do=findComment&comment=1642825

I have not experienced this, so I did a quick search on AFM and this is what I found.

To search all threads on the forum, go to the Search box at top right (using the web browser version) and click on the little wheel. The Search box looks through "this topic" or whatever level you are at. Using the wheel, you can search the entire forum or other options.

Ok thanks for the help. I could not find anything on the new 5.3 with lifter issues

Any other help would be appreciated

Not sure when I'll have an update for you all. It only happened that one time and has not since. He had his truck at my house for our 4th of July party on Friday and it was quiet when he cranked it up to go home, sounded the same as my 15 does.

If it does not start doing it on a regular basis it's going to be very hard to diagnose. I have not found any other posts out there for the new 5.3 with lifter or oil consumption issues.

He said when it did it, it made a strange noise when he cranked it, then when it fired it was hammering, and eventually stopped on it's own, when he believes it went into V4 mode. As you all know when you first start it, it's in V8 mode..so this is very strange for sure.

Thanks,

greg

This must be a very isolated issue. That is a good thing I suppose or I'd think this thread would have gotten more replies. Has anyone else had this issue?

Ok thanks for the reply. I just find it is very odd that it made a noise when he was cranking it and then it started hammering....Then when it switched to v4 mode it stopped.

He said he's not 100% sure that's what happened but he thinks that's is the case. Hopefully it's a once and done issue. It's been quiet since.

Hey Y'all,

I've been enjoying my 2015 Silverado Crew Cab Z71 5.3 L since I bought it 2 months ago. Nearly 1300 miles so far, no vibrations or any other issues. I'm very happy with it so far. It's not 100% perfect, but it's been good so far.

My brother told me yesterday that when he started his after sitting for 4 days, he thought he heard something click when he was craking it, then it was hammering when it started. He drove it for a short while, took the trailer he was towing back home, disconnected it (took the truck out of tow/haul mode) and then he said he thinks when it went to V4 mode is when the noise stopped. He has 28K miles on it and it's been flawless until this occured. He said the sound was similar to a 5.3 video with a collapsed lifter I sent him, but he said it was louder than that.

Its been quiet ever since and his dealer told him he's not aware of any issues with the new 5.3 in the 2014+ trucks with engine issues ((that I have read about in the prior generation 5.3, AFM issues, lifter collapses, oil consuption due to piston ring issues in the cylinders that deactivate.

Since that time it's been quiet.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue as to what happened or what caused this? Oil level is good and it's been regularly maintained by the dealer. Seems like a stuck lifter, possibly due to the AFM? has anyone heard of any engine issues or AFM issues on the new 5.3's?

When my 5yr/100K mile warranty is out I plan on installing a tune that perminetly deactivates the AFM so she runs in V8 mode all the time just to be safe.

Eventhough I have the chevy 2 yr maintenance included, I plan on doing my own service so I can use a good Full Syn oil, such as Valvoline and a high quality oil filter (WixXP) My brother had his truck way overfull one time by the dealer who serviced it, I think he said he saw oil coming out the valve cover or dipstick tube, I can't remeber which but it was overfiled. I have the ability to do my own work and just have better peace of mind knowing it's done right if I do it myself.

Any thoughts or help would be apprecaited as he's not sure what to do at this point since it's been quiet since the day it had the issue. He did talk to his dealer who told him if it does it again to bring it in and they will take a look at it for him.

Thanks,

Greg

Why wait? Range AFM plugs into odbII and can be unplugged when bringing into dealer with zero trace. The new AFM was redesigned and after the last design I have been keeping an eye out but have not heard of any issues yet.

Agreed. Its a thought with the range afm delete plug in since it's not traceable for warranty purposes. I do like how the truck runs locked in v8 mode better.

My only concern is if i lock out v4 for a long time if i want to use it again in the future would it be gummed up or parts of the system not operable? Are the afm lifters that collapse on themselves in v4 designed for extended v8 use? I just don't know enough about the components yet to make the call

Thanks

G

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had a lifter failer on my 2015 sierra 1500 v-8 already at 6500 miles.. Said they replaced all the lifetrs and pushrods.

Wow that's terrible to hear. Did they tell you what the cause was? Do you run in v4 mode much?

Wow that's terrible to hear. Did they tell you what the cause was? Do you run in v4 mode much?

nope didnt say why it happened. Not sure how often it goes into v4 mode. A gm rep came out tuesday and rode with me. Said hes gonna put a set of new michelins on it and it should tAke care of 80% of my problem. I said what about the other 20%. He told me its the characteristic of the truck. I said ur kidding me right?!.... Anyways ill see how it rides with the new tires. Still gotta get them to fix the vibration on hard accell from a dead stop. They said that was Normal too.. ****ing gm... Excuse my language.. Im just fed up with them insulting my intelligence..