Sierra Denali check engine light after oil change

I took my 15 Sierra Denali 5.3 into the dealer on thursday for its first oil change at 7k miles. Was driving it on Sat when I noticed the truck start jerking on idle and misfiring when I accelerate up a hill. Also noticed a loud ticking sound outside of the truck when its running. It sounds like it could be the fuel injector and I am planning on taking it in first thing on monday. Also, check engine light came on and flashing when i accelerate.

Anyone think that this could be related to the oil change? what kind of damage can an oil change do? Truck was running smooth and beautifully before my oil change!

In case you are not aware:

A solid CEL is indication that something needs checking, tend to in short order.

A flashing CEL is indication that you need to pull over and turn the vehicle off immediately as something is more drastically wrong.

Per the owners manual:

If the malfunction indicator lamp

comes on while the engine is

running, this indicates that the

OBD II system has detected a

problem and diagnosis and service

might be required.

Malfunctions often are indicated by

the system before any problem is

apparent. Being aware of the light

can prevent more serious damage

to the vehicle. This system also

assists the service technician in

correctly diagnosing any

malfunction.

This light comes on during a

malfunction in one of two ways:

Light Flashing: A misfire condition

has been detected. A misfire

increases vehicle emissions and

could damage the emission control

system on the vehicle. Diagnosis

and service might be required.

To prevent more serious damage to

the vehicle:

. Reduce vehicle speed.

. Avoid hard accelerations.

. Avoid steep uphill grades.

. If towing a trailer, reduce the

amount of cargo being hauled as

soon as it is possible.

If the light continues to flash, find a

safe place to stop and park the

vehicle. Turn the vehicle off, wait at

least 10 seconds, and restart the

engine. If the light is still flashing,

follow the previous steps and see

your dealer for service as soon as

possible.

Light On Steady: An emission

control system malfunction has

been detected on the vehicle.

Diagnosis and service might be

required.

The following may correct an

emission control system

malfunction:

. Check that the fuel cap is fully

installed. See Filling the Tank on

page 9-70. The diagnostic

system can determine if the fuel

cap has been left off or

improperly installed. A loose or

missing fuel cap allows fuel to

evaporate into the atmosphere.

A few driving trips with the cap

properly installed should turn the

light off.

. Check that good quality fuel is

used. Poor fuel quality causes

the engine not to run as

efficiently as designed and may

cause stalling after start-up,

stalling when the vehicle is

changed into gear, misfiring,

hesitation on acceleration,

or stumbling on acceleration.

These conditions might go away

once the engine is warmed up.

If one or more of these conditions

occurs, change the fuel brand used.

It may require at least one full tank

of the proper fuel to turn the light off.

See Fuel on page 9-67.

If none of the above have made the

light turn off, your dealer can check

the vehicle. The dealer has the

proper test equipment and

diagnostic tools to fix any

mechanical or electrical problems

that might have developed.

Other than not putting oil back in or leaving something loose so it all runs out, there is nothing one could do changing oil that would cause a misfire.

Misfire can be caused by a couple of things. First thing I would check is both end of the plug wires, GM had some issues on some of the early trucks. This is not to say the maybe the tech pulled one loose on accident.

Thanks for the info. This pisses me off more that it could be a serious problem. I do not think that it's a coincidence that this happened right after I got my car back from the dealer from a routine oil change!

Exactly why I stay away from dealership service departments! They cause more damage than they do good. I would not be surprised if one of those "GM certified technicians" unplugged something or knocked something loose while attempting your oil change.

Last time I was at the dealership for a free oil change and 'complimentary' tire rotation (that I ended up paying for after the fact) they broke my right front sway bar end link with the lift, didn't replace my valve stem caps after checking tire pressures, and broke a lug stud!

For the most part, they are clueless. They rely on the service books sent to them from GM and if your issue isn't exactly the same as in their little book, or not in the books at all, they tell you it's either normal or they could not duplicate the issue. There are some good ones but they are hard to find. Do yourself a favor and change your own oil, you'll better off.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Last week, my truck exhibited the exact same conditions as wthomas86's truck. They diagnosed it as a bad #3 fuel injector. Dealer replaced it and now the truck runs fine, but it came home with a nice chip in the paint on the front fender that I am not too happy about.

Exactly why I stay away from dealership service departments! They cause more damage than they do good. I would not be surprised if one of those "GM certified technicians" unplugged something or knocked something loose while attempting your oil change.

Last time I was at the dealership for a free oil change and 'complimentary' tire rotation (that I ended up paying for after the fact) they broke my right front sway bar end link with the lift, didn't replace my valve stem caps after checking tire pressures, and broke a lug stud!

For the most part, they are clueless. They rely on the service books sent to them from GM and if your issue isn't exactly the same as in their little book, or not in the books at all, they tell you it's either normal or they could not duplicate the issue. There are some good ones but they are hard to find. Do yourself a favor and change your own oil, you'll better off.

Really? Depending on application for a 2014 Silverado , There up to 1000 trouble codes, 30+ programmable modules and 5 different networks. Not to mention dozens of sensors and all of the newer mechanical systems. And this truck is tame by Volt, ELR, CTS-V, Corvette standards. Yea, there are some Techs that probably shouldn't be fixing vehicles, But there are a lot of good ones. There are also a lot of do-it -yourselfers that should never be allowed to lift a hood. And for the record, our "little books" went away about 10 years ago. One more thing, lets not confuse "oil changers" with technicians.

Really? Depending on application for a 2014 Silverado , There up to 1000 trouble codes, 30+ programmable modules and 5 different networks. Not to mention dozens of sensors and all of the newer mechanical systems. And this truck is tame by Volt, ELR, CTS-V, Corvette standards. Yea, there are some Techs that probably shouldn't be fixing vehicles, But there are a lot of good ones. There are also a lot of do-it -yourselfers that should never be allowed to lift a hood. And for the record, our "little books" went away about 10 years ago. One more thing, lets not confuse "oil changers" with technicians.

Im glad someone understands. the dealership tech bashing on this site is crazy. I for one am a ASE and GM master certified tech and take great pride in what I do for a living.

Archived