2500HD 6.0l gearing

I've run Yukon along with other brands with no problems. For me I call either Dave at Daves Offroad Supply or Wayne at Diffsonly.com for those parts for best prices and service in my experiences which is a handful in the rock crawler stuff. Seems their prices are generally better than the advertised web prices. Tell them Norby sent ya.

Edited by MNorby

• 3 weeks later...

I have the front done. Took about 4 hours. That was messing around and my first time doing it. I'll be doing the rear next week. I already have the new bb tune ready to go.

I'm using a friend's shop after work so I only have certain time windows that I can do it. By the look of the rear I'd say 2-3 hours. So you could do it all I see day. Well worth it if you are mechanical.

• 3 years later...

We have a 2012 Sierra 2500HD 4x4 with 6.0 3.73, book said towing capacity 9500#, we upgraded the tires from a 265/60-20 to a 275/60-20 Nitto Grapplers G2, upgraded the shocks from factory to Rancho's [that lifted the truck 1-2"] and ended up buying a 5th wheel that had a dry weight of 9831 [thought we had more tow capacity when we purchased it]. Truck tows everything fine. We run it at about 67mph at 2300 rpm, tow/haul mode. Purrs going down the road. We do oil changes every 5k miles (synthetic) and trans services every 25k miles. We recently did a trip from FL to GA, no problems [well GA was cold in the mountains-LOL]. After reading all the articles on the 3.73 vs 4.10 I still can't believe a gear size changes the towing capacity from 9500# to 13000#. Same engine and trans connected to it all. We may be overweight but so far after a year of owning the 5th wheel, we've had great luck with the truck and the 5th wheel. The truck is my husband's daily driver for work. We only have 49k on the truck. Let me know if any one has any input on this? Thanks! 

3-16-19 (2).JPG

100_1596.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

350,000 miles and no issue with 6.0L and 4.10 gearing. only time she really struggled was when i hit a cat scale at just under 50,000lbs. Couldn't get her above 55mph on that one load of eight grass pallets. 

20181022_092630.jpg

• 1 month later...

I had a 2004 6.0 with 4:10, but now a 2012 with 3:73. It’s sort of apples to oranges comparison because of the 4 vs 6 speed transmission. On the highway the 4:10 was making the engine turn at 2500 rpm @70 mph, vs 1800rpm at the same speed for 3:73.

If you do change gears what computer reprogramming is needed? Does the speedometer get its signal through the transmission, or do the ABS sensors do the job? How about differences in shift points?

• 9 months later...
On 8/19/2015 at 10:51 PM, 2017HD said:

since you have a 4x4 you will need to change both diffs. You are going to have to change all of the bearings and seals, and probably just the ring gear.

I have an 07 with the 4.10 gears and it tows my 6000 lb TT with very little problems.

I leave it in drive and use tow/haul mode - the tranny shifts between 4,5 and 6

Flat and level 6 is fine, first sign of a hill and it is in 5th anything steeper and it is down to 4th - but I can maintain 55 turning around 3-3500 RPM.

I see now where GM no longer offers the 3.73 with the 6.0 - wonder why!