2500HD 6.0l gearing

I posted this in Towing section but am getting no replies, maybe someone here has some input?

I've got a 2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 with the 6.0l and 3:73 gears. Just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a huge difference between the two gear ratios, as in towing performance and difference in RPM at cruising speed on the highway. I live in SouthWest British Columbia and anywhere I go camping requires pulling my 5000lb RV and 4 dirtbikes in the back of the truck up steep grades. I got the truck late last year and so far have only used the truck in this scenario (and with the A/C on) once and so far wasn't too impressed. Not sure if my expectations are too high? Would it be worth replacing the gears? what would be a rough estimate as to cost of replacing gears?

thanks,

Andy

The manual states 4.10s give you a 13k# trailer capacity while the 3.73s are only 9,600#s...I'm in the same place you are, not quite there; but almost. We are looking to upgrade to a camper in the range you're sitting...

Personally, if I go down this slippery slope, I'm going to pass on 4.10s and have 4.56s installed. I doubt mileage will suffer much with the double OD. The last time I checked, I was looking at around $1500/axle including all parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2012 Silverado 2500hd 6.0 with 373 gears. I pull a 6000 pound travel trailer and can hardly ever hit 5th gear and stay there always shifts to fourth even in manual lock. Pulls great in forth but at 70 miles an hour on interstate tachs at 3000 rpm. Is this ok for truck ?

If you are in tow/haul, 6th won't engage until well over 65mph and under almost no engine load...while I use tow/haul on small backroads, I usually disengage it on the interstate to get into 5th and 6th faster. And that's my experience towing close to 10k pounds with my 2012.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it ! I love the tow haul mode when I'm pulling my trailer with 4 wheeler on it the engine braking is really nice. When pulling travel trailer the manual shift for me just performs so much better. Not as much shifting in and out and the higher rpms I don't mind now since I know now the 6.0 can take it.

• 1 month later...

since you have a 4x4 you will need to change both diffs. You are going to have to change all of the bearings and seals, and probably just the ring gear.

I have an 07 with the 4.10 gears and it tows my 6000 lb TT with very little problems.

I leave it in drive and use tow/haul mode - the tranny shifts between 4,5 and 6

Flat and level 6 is fine, first sign of a hill and it is in 5th anything steeper and it is down to 4th - but I can maintain 55 turning around 3-3500 RPM.

I see now where GM no longer offers the 3.73 with the 6.0 - wonder why!

Edited by HD2007
  • Like 1

since you have a 4x4 you will need to change both diffs. You are going to have to change all of the bearings and seals, and probably just the ring gear.

I have an 07 with the 4.10 gears and it tows my 6000 lb TT with very little problems.

I leave it in drive and use tow/haul mode - the tranny shifts between 4,5 and 6

Flat and level 6 is fine, first sign of a hill and it is in 5th anything steeper and it is down to 4th - but I can maintain 55 turning around 3-3500 RPM.

I see now where GM no longer offers the 3.73 with the 6.0 - wonder why!

When you change gearing, you change the ring and pinion as a set...its not "maybe". The teeth on the ring and pinion are what determine the ratio. 4.10 is usually 44 on the ring and 11 on the pinion, IIRC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Yes, you replace the ring and pinion gear, you can't mix and match those. As for the bearings its up to you if you feel they look worn once you remove them. A ring/pinion is generally around $200 a set, basic install with just shims is generally around $50 and full install with bearings over $100 per axle. Are you planning on doing this yourself or taking to a shop. Its not a hard job but can take some time, The 14 bolt rear is one of the easiest axles to setup gears in so that is a benefit if you plan on learning how.

My 08 2500 has 4.10s and from the research I did while looking for a truck most say the 4.10s are definitely better if towing.

I've been researching about swapping out the gears in my 13 with 373. Most of what I read say to skip the 410 if your going to do it and go to 456.

Anyone here have a 6.0 with the 6spd and 456?

I plan on doing this in the next month. Never done gears before so it will be a good learning experience.

What brand gears did you guys use? I was looking at Yukon.

My truck only has 20k on it so I don't think I'm going to do the bearings.