tailgates different?

Does anybody know if the tailgates on the silverado and sierra the same? Same with short, regular, and long bed; also 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton.

I looked at the part numbers and they show different for short, long, and regular bed.

So are these interchangeable or there will be a fitment issue?

I think the only thing that might be different between trim levels is the tailgate cap. Nicer models will have a thicker, heavier duty tailgate cap. Lower trim will likely have a thinner flimsier version.

• Like 1

2014-2016 1500, and 2015-2016 2500hd/3500hd, both Chevrolet and GMC use the same tailgates. There are only two part numbers, one for tailgates without the tailgate lower/raise assists and one without. No differences in the top plastic cap, that was a 2007-2013 thing, and even then, there were two tailgates used by both, one with assists and one without. Both top caps would interchange as the gates were designed to accept both. Even 1999-2006, same gates.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
20 minutes ago, Sublimmy said:

Will a 2018 Silverado power tailgate work on a 2016 Silverado? Is there any difference between the 1500 and 3500?

I don't think there is a power tailgate for the K2 or even the new T1 trucks. Do you mean the "E-Z-Lift" tailgate? That's just a torsion spring inside to make lifting and lowering easier. Tailgates that will fit your truck are years 2014-2018 1500-3500. They all are dimensionally the same. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...