Does the word "Flint" remind you of Roger and Me?

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-11176500-1438790556_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
8/4/2015

There may be no more recognizable name for a location of an automotive plant than Flint Michigan. Roger and Me, a movie that explained in painful detail just how terrible GM is (was) in one documentary film maker's mind, helped to make the location known, and notorious. This week, GM announced a continuation of the investment it has poured into Flint Michigan since 2011. This time the investment is in the paint shop and other areas and totals 877 million. That brings the total dollars GM has invested in this location to $1.8 billion in the past four years.

The workers at the Flint plant are represented by Local 598 of the UAW. UAW Vice President Cindy Estrada seems pretty happy with the changes in Flint and offers her view on how this came to pass, saying, “This announcement is due to the hard work and dedication of our UAW members in Flint." She added "...UAW members continue to come up with innovative ways to grow the business, which provides jobs and improves the quality of the products we produce. This is both good for the Company and good for our members.”

Dayne Walling, the elected mayor of Flint Michigan, the city, also is pretty happy with GM right now. He was quoted as saying “In the last several years, GM’s investments in the city of Flint have topped $2.5 billion, creating hundreds of construction jobs and an economic boost for the community."

We look forward to the sequel of Roger and Me that dives deeply into the way GM has benefited Flint, but we won't hold our breath.

[/media]

Flint silverado assembly.jpg

Archived