15 payload capacity

Because back in the day they could not haul as much i'm guessing. Todays trucks 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton all are much more capable than earlier generations.

Precisely. And this is why you can generally haul as much trailer/junk in your 2015 1/2-ton as you did in your 1998 3/4-ton.

cool thanks guys. so why do they call them 1/2ton trucks is they can haul + or - a ton?

After I bought mine, my husband started reading all of the material. He was shocked to learn that my 1/2 ton could haul more weight than his old 3/4 ton. But that doesn't mean that he is going to go get gravel for our driveway with my new truck. He can use his old truck for that job.

Interesting. According to that chart my cc short box 3.42 geared truck should have an 1820 lb pay but my door sticker says 1740? I wonder what caused the discrepancy?

Interesting. According to that chart my cc short box 3.42 geared truck should have an 1820 lb pay but my door sticker says 1740? I wonder what caused the discrepancy?

Your truck must have 80 lb of 'options' not considered in the chart.

That makes sense but i can't imagine what that would be? Z71 package? Aluminum 6" side steps?

All star package? I just don't see where that 80lb extra would come from, but the sticker is what it is. It's still over 3/4 ton of pay. I can't complain at all. I love my truck!

That makes sense but i can't imagine what that would be? Z71 package? Aluminum 6" side steps?

All star package? I just don't see where that 80lb extra would come from, but the sticker is what it is. It's still over 3/4 ton of pay. I can't complain at all. I love my truck!

The payloads in the chart, my guess, is with a WT trim level, and either 4.3 or 5.3 with pretty much zero options. Wheels, tires, suspension, etc. change the payload from that point. My truck for example. Payload on the GM chart is 3430lbs (reg. cab long box 2500hd). My door sticker is 3264lbs. I have Z71 and the 17" wheel/tire combo. If I had 18" wheel/tire combo, my payload would be closer or the same as the published spec. The 18" LT tires they use have a load index of 124 where the 17" are 121. More weight carrying capability with the 18" LT tire.

End of the day...always check the door jamb tag for your actual payload.

Makes sense. Sounds good. Wow over a ton and a half of pay. That's impressive i guess in this day and age terms like "1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, etc " are now outdated. I remember the days when. "1/2 ton" trucks had a true 1/2 ton pay rating. But those trucks were tough too and capable of handling more than what they were rated for. I installed one ton springs in my old 1989 k1500 and once hauled the 2300lb of sand a few miles back to my house. I took my time but it did the job. I would not recommend doing that, but the wheels didn't fall off of it. I really miss that 89. It was a great truck

• 2 years later...

Archived