"New" Honda motorcycle engine/transmission

Last night I picked a Honda motorcycle engine/transmission. It's in really rough condition and look forward to taking on this project of fixing it up. The ignition and all associated wiring is a disaster and the whole engine needs to be torn down, cleaned and reassembled. So far I've been able to figure out it's a 72 cm^3 engine but little else. I'm trying to find out any details related to manuals so I can locate parts, diagrams and specs to work with. So if you have any ideas I'd be happy to hear them.

My first step is just to start getting it torn down and cleaned up...inside and out. There was still oil in the crankcase and the pull start still turns the engine over so at least it isn't seized. It does have a carb on it but no air filter, fuel tank, and the ignition coil is looking pretty beat up. I haven't even pulled the plug yet to see what's the top end looks like inside.

Don't really know what I going to use the engine for once I get it all done, maybe a golf cart or a go kart kind of thing...not much into motorcycles personally.

I would appreciate any suggestions, opinions and pointers you may all have regarding this little machine.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

However, you said its a Honda and a pull start. That indicates its probably from an early three wheel ATC. Most likely a 200cc from the mid eighties.

Honda made at least two rope start versions that I can recall, a 185 and 200 throughout the eighties. The 200 was the most popular. they were good little engines and very reliable.

I'll try to get a decent set of pictures to post up. The block is stamped 72cc but no other characters to tell me much more. It's a three speed (supposedly) with a separate neutral shift lever. I have no real knowledge of this set up it's more confusing just trying to figure out what I have. Most of the pictures I've found on the web are different from what I have as far as the transmission part goes. I just ordered a new carburetor for it that I "think" will fit correctly. The current one is so corroded and full of crud it was cheaper to get a new one then to order a rebuild kit for it. My next step is to do a compression test to verify if the valves and piston seals are working correctly. From there I'm going to figure out the electrical nightmare that it has going on. May end up getting a new ignition coil for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Honda made 70, 90, 110, 185, and I think the 200 cubic centimeter versions of that style engine. Unfortunately All were sold to South Korea and Tiwan like the CM series engines 450cc version. All are still built but used in other bikes and atv's. The engine serial number will give you All the info of where it came from, year, and from which bike. Honda can look it up for you without any problem that is if they are a decent shop that cares about all customers. Some shops won't because it's out of production. But you should be able to still get a manual, service type, for the engine, even if you have to buy the complete bike service manual from Honda. Finding who is now using that engine and on which product, so you can buy the parts you need, will actually be the hard part. These engines are also used in all these off brand Korean Scooters you see all over the place. The whole scooter new is only 500-600 USD. Good luck and have fun

Archived