Cranks but won't start

So it was pretty cold this morning, about -35 degrees Celcius. Truck wasn't plugged in last night, remote started it to let it warm up before getting in. I know that it started and was running for about 15 minutes. It had stopped on its own before I got outside and might had been stopped for 5 minutes. Got in and tried to start it with the key, message popped up saying "reduced engine power" turned the key to start it, it cranked fine but did not start, tried two more times no success. Battery voltage was normal around 14-15V but tried boosting anyways, cranks but still won't start. Decided to try plugging in block heater for 15-20 minutes, tried starting it again (no booster pack) started up just fine but engine light stayed on. Went for a short ride and drove just fine (wouldn't go into V4 because of CEL right). Went back home and cleared the CEL by disconnecting the battery. Drove around for a couple hours with multiple stops and starts, starts fine now.

I find it odd that plugging in the block heater for a short while got the truck to start and was wondering if anyone has had a problem like mine or might know what could cause the no start and reduced engine power message.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Lilcanadian

Hope mine doesn't do this.... Its only gotten to 20 below F here but mine has started up just fine....

See i bought my truck in Texas.... Texas trucks don't come with block heaters..... Maybe a chiller is needed but i hope i dont ever need to do that.

I have noticed that sometime it takes a bit to start up but that's normal due to the engines being DI.

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

Hope mine doesn't do this.... Its only gotten to 20 below F here but mine has started up just fine....

See i bought my truck in Texas.... Texas trucks don't come with block heaters..... Maybe a chiller is needed but i hope i dont ever need to do that.

I have noticed that sometime it takes a bit to start up but that's normal due to the engines being DI.

Haha well thanks for your input but hoping that my problem was caused by the extreme cold which probably ain't too common in Texas lol.

Haha well thanks for your input but hoping that my problem was caused by the extreme cold which probably ain't too common in Texas lol.

In north dakota right now.

It does seem srange that your truck would start normal with the remote start but then refuse to start with the key.

My guess would be mayne the anti theft system had a brain far and you letting it set for 15-20 minutes let it reset?

In north dakota right now.

It does seem srange that your truck would start normal with the remote start but then refuse to start with the key.

My guess would be mayne the anti theft system had a brain far and you letting it set for 15-20 minutes let it reset?

Yeah that makes sense, odd that it would let it crank though. I've used remote start all winter so far and started it with the key just fine after it shut off many times, you could be right though, I'll have to try and duplicate the problem.

Yeah that makes sense, odd that it would let it crank though. I've used remote start all winter so far and started it with the key just fine after it shut off many times, you could be right though, I'll have to try and duplicate the problem.

The truck will crank but it won't start if the anti theft is active. My colorado has done that a few times.

The truck will crank but it won't start if the anti theft is active. My colorado has done that a few times.

Ohh alright thanks for the info, did your check engine light come on after doing this?

Ohh alright thanks for the info, did your check engine light come on after doing this?

Not that i remember but we are talking a 2005 Chevy colorado so maybe the new trucks have changed.

Block heaters are optional everywhere, but I can understand than few Texas dealers would order one.

GM has published a chart of expected crank time vs ambient temperature.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=2971

Screen-Shot-2014-02-20-at-11.22.51-AM.pn

• Like 3

Block heaters are optional everywhere, but I can understand than few Texas dealers would order one.

GM has published a chart of expected crank time vs ambient temperature.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=2971

Screen-Shot-2014-02-20-at-11.22.51-AM.pn

Wow so according to the chart it could've taken about 7 seconds of crank time for it to start this morning I wouldn't even think of letting it crank that long. So I might not had let it crank long enough, then again the truck had been running for 15 minutes so I'm not sure what the coolant temperature would have been when I went out to start it. Might start plugging it in more often, cranking for long periods of time sounds like it could be hard on the starter. Still not sure what the reduced engine power message was for though, maybe due to the low temperature of the fluids?

IME, you just turn the key, then let go. It will then crank as long as it needs to.

That's how I usually start the truck, just bump the key and let it turn on its own but it was cranking for a what seemed to be a pretty long time to me and not starting so I would shut it off. This is my first truck with this feature and my first gm so I'm not familiar with this bump the key feature. Will it crank until the starter fails or does it know when to stop?

I would be checking ground connections. check the one that goes to the engine block, a lot of gm trucks will display reduced power when there is a poor ground

I'll have to look into that once the weather warms up a bit, it's even colder today, was -40 when I got up this morning and I don't have a heated garage.