How to remove cigarette lighter socket

Does anyone know how to remove the cigarette lighter socket? I want to remove it to install a switch for my LED bar. I know I've seen it here somewhere but now that i need it i can't find it. I'm not coming up with anything when searching. Thanks in advance

Ok, I found the thread I was thinking of...post #15 shows a switch uninstalled in place of the cig lighter outlet and post #25 tells how to remove it...good luck

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/173505-obrien19s-2014-double-cab-lt-z71-build/?do=findComment&comment=1633089

Ok, I found the thread I was thinking of...post #15 shows a switch uninstalled in place of the cig lighter outlet and post #25 tells how to remove it...good luck

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/173505-obrien19s-2014-double-cab-lt-z71-build/?do=findComment&comment=1633089

Thats exactly the thread I was talking about. Good looking out Chuck. Thanks

• 3 years later...
On 01/03/2016 at 1:08 AM, TX_AT said:
On 29/02/2016 at 11:17 PM, chuckl1218 said:

Thats exactly the thread I was talking about. Good looking out Chuck. Thanks

I can not open this link I have been trying for a while now. Please help 

• 2 weeks later...

I installed an airhorn with a relay and really wanted to use this switch because it fits so well in the old cigarette lighter port. Can anyone explain how to use the 3 prong switch with a relay? I used a basic on off switch and it works fine. All the wiring diagrams show one prong for power in, one prong to the accessory being used and then a ground. But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the relay?

air-horn-wiring-diagram-bestharleylinksfo-for-wiring-diagram-for-horn-relay.jpg

Edited by wtodomiv

22 hours ago, wtodomiv said:

I installed an airhorn with a relay and really wanted to use this switch because it fits so well in the old cigarette lighter port. Can anyone explain how to use the 3 prong switch with a relay? I used a basic on off switch and it works fine. All the wiring diagrams show one prong for power in, one prong to the accessory being used and then a ground. But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the relay?

3 pole switches are usually lit.  The constant 12V is for the backlight in the switch.

47 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

3 pole switches are usually lit.  The constant 12V is for the backlight in the switch.

It's weird because I have it grounded and then the other wire coming off the relay plugged into either of the other 2 poles just lights it up but doesnt do much else. Since its momentary anyways the light really isint important. I ordered a push button switch that will still sit down in that spot and let the cover close. Just annoyed me that it wouldn't work. 

On 21/03/2019 at 6:15 PM, wtodomiv said:

The purpose of the relay in your diagram is to convert a negative trigger to a positive output.

If you want to use a 3 prong switch with a positive in, positive out, you would wire the relay - pin86 positive in, pin87 positive output, pin85 ground in, pin30 fused 12volt in

Edited by Dub1796

1 hour ago, Dub1796 said:

The purpose of the relay in your diagram is to convert a negative trigger to a positive output.

If you want to use a 3 prong switch with a positive in, positive out, you would wire the relay - pin86 positive in, pin87 positive output, pin85 ground in, pin30 fused 12volt in

Sorry for the stupid questions, this is my first time wiring anything like this. So the only thing I would be changing according to the diagram on the relay is instead of the weird loop on 86 and 30 86 is another wire running to that 3rd prong on the switch. Damn wasnt looking forward to running another wire through the firewall. Ordered a plain black 2 pole switch to see of it would fit in the charging port I opened up. I really dont need the light. I appreciate the help. 

5 hours ago, wtodomiv said:

Sorry for the stupid questions, this is my first time wiring anything like this. So the only thing I would be changing according to the diagram on the relay is instead of the weird loop on 86 and 30 86 is another wire running to that 3rd prong on the switch. Damn wasnt looking forward to running another wire through the firewall. Ordered a plain black 2 pole switch to see of it would fit in the charging port I opened up. I really dont need the light. I appreciate the help. 

Is your relay in the engine bay? If it is, wire the 2 pole switch with accessory/ignition in and out. Accessory/ignition out to relay pin 86, then pin 87 to light bar 12v. Pin 30 and 85 will go to battery. 

Did you run 2 wires from the console switch to the engine compartment? 

Relay is under the hood, and I only fished one wire into the cabin. I wired it just like the diagram with a cheap toggle 2 pin switch and it works fine, my better 2 pin switch comes today if it doesnt fit right I'll try to wire that 3 prong to the relay and fish another wire through. 

12 hours ago, wtodomiv said:

Relay is under the hood, and I only fished one wire into the cabin. I wired it just like the diagram with a cheap toggle 2 pin switch and it works fine, my better 2 pin switch comes today if it doesnt fit right I'll try to wire that 3 prong to the relay and fish another wire through. 

You won't have to fish another wire through with the 3 prong. There's a fuse that can turn your sockets to ignition power. Take that and feed your 3 prong switch, then use the single wire to the relay in the engine compartment