Alternator Shuts off?

6 hours ago, Nasty said:

It has been like this sonce 2005 models. There is a battery current sensor on the ground cable that monitors this. 

Just came from a '07 Escalade EXT and it did NOT do this.  

That said, not a big deal.  Everyone keeps mentioning saving the battery or alternator wear..that's not why this is done at all.  Fuel mileage is why they do it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Just came from a '07 Escalade EXT and it did NOT do this.  

That said, not a big deal.  Everyone keeps mentioning saving the battery or alternator wear..that's not why this is done at all.  Fuel mileage is why they do it.

It does have it.  Youll see a loop around your ground cable by the battery.    But yes  its all for 1 mpg

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Just because you don't recall seeing it doing this before is no proof it never happened.  Can't keep your eye's of the road all the time..whats more if you are making a lot of short trips it may not go into fuel economy mode as often as some who drives long distance.

Voltmeter Fluctuation

Some customers may comment that the volt gauge fluctuates between 12 and 14 volts on their 2005-08 full size pickup or utility vehicle. Starting with the 2005 model year, these vehicles are equipped with a Regulated Voltage Control (RVC) system. RVC reduces the targeted output voltage to 12.6-13.1 volts when in Fuel Economy Mode to improve fuel economy.

The generator may exit Fuel Economy Mode if additional voltage is required. This causes the voltmeter to fluctuate between 12 and 14 volts (fig. 16), as opposed to non-regulated systems which usually maintain a more consistent reading of 14 volts.

This fluctuation with the RVC system is normal system operation. No repairs should be attempted. Refer to the owner manual Section 3 (Instrument Panel) Voltmeter Gage for more information.

TIP: Refer to PIT4426 for concerns with keeping a camper or trailer battery properly charged.

Edited by elcamino

The only time I really notice the voltage gauge approaching 12V is when it's warm outside. I believe the computer also factors ambient temp into how much or little voltage is applied by the alternator. If you look at any charts for charging lead acid batteries, as temp goes down, voltage goes up. In the winter time I rarely seem anything lower then about 13.5 volts.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for enlightening me on how the RVC system works. I have a 2006 GMC Sierra whose alternator Ive been worrying about. My concern started when I noticed my headlights and dash lights flickering. I watched the voltmeter and noticed some fluctuations also. I assumed the two issues were connected. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't. I recently purchased and installed a digital voltmeter/USB phone charger that plugs into the lighter socket. I've observed the voltage fluctuation that you all have described as normal - sometimes indication only 12.8 volts. That really concerned me until I was enlightened about how the system works. The only issue I'm concerned about with the alternator is that I have observed voltage readings as high as 15.2 volts. That is too high, especially since the battery is basically fully charged. With all that being said, I'm still concerned about the flickering lights. I've read a lot about bad grounds, etc, but now I'm thoroughly confused. Any suggestions would be appreciated.