Front Axle Weight Rating - 2500 HD

Just picked up a 2016 Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab (Standard Box and 6.0L gas) with the plow package. It's not clear to me what the front axle gross weight rating is? Does the plow package increase it over the standard 4,800 pounds? Just trying to figure out what I can carry for a plow.

Open your driver's side door. You will have a few stickers on the body or the side of the door jam. One will have tire load, and both front and rear axle ratings as well as total GVWR. Another sticker will also have the payload of the truck as it leaves the factory.

• Like 1

Just picked up a 2016 Silverado 2500 HD Crew Cab (Standard Box and 6.0L gas) with the plow package. It's not clear to me what the front axle gross weight rating is? Does the plow package increase it over the standard 4,800 pounds? Just trying to figure out what I can carry for a plow.

GM does that for you. http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/printbook?pdftype=option&lang=1&vehicle=18909&rpoid=27701

Crew cab gas standard box is 5200lbs FAWR with plow prep. GM allows for 100lbs permanent plow hardware and 725lbs of plow for your truck. GM gets those numbers using the following below:

Maximum plow weights based on a vehicle with average manufacturer option content and 150lbs each for

driver and one additional front seat occupant. Additional equipment and occupants can reduce maximum

plow weight.

From what it seems like, those numbers are without ballast as well. If you ballast (200-500lbs depending on the plow you pick) you would be able to run something on the bigger side.

Edited by 15HDriver
  • Like 1

Open your driver's side door. You will have a few stickers on the body or the side of the door jam. One will have tire load, and both front and rear axle ratings as well as total GVWR. Another sticker will also have the payload of the truck as it leaves the factory.

I'll have to look again, and I apologize for wasting time if it is there. Looked at in the dark last night and couldn't see the axle ratings on there but I may have missed it.

Edit: Ok, I found it. Rather than around the edge it's down on the rocker panel. Oops. 5,200# front axle. Should work ok for a 9'6" Xtreme V.

Edited by Skeld

• 8 months later...

Hadn't taken the time to really look at the stickers on mine. I have a 2015 2500 with the snow plow prep. One thing that confuses me.... it says that the GVWR is 9500, but the front axle rating is 5200 lb and the rear axle is 6200 lb. Now I realize that it has been a considerable time since I last took a college math class, but that adds up to 11,400 lb. Anyone got any idea on why this discrepancy?

Hadn't taken the time to really look at the stickers on mine. I have a 2015 2500 with the snow plow prep. One thing that confuses me.... it says that the GVWR is 9500, but the front axle rating is 5200 lb and the rear axle is 6200 lb. Now I realize that it has been a considerable time since I last took a college math class, but that adds up to 11,400 lb. Anyone got any idea on why this discrepancy?

They sticker it below 10K pounds due to in some states, the taxes skyrocket above that. Also DOT regs kick in at 10K for commercial ops. Which means if you use your truck for your business, and stickered below 10K, no DOT stuff. Above that with just the truck or the truck and trailer combined above 10K, DOT numbers required.

All a shell game to sell more trucks.

Mark

Edited by HeliMark

That would depend on state by state DOT as for if numbers required. No requirement for in state for Iowa, probably due to the state being primarily an agriculture related state. Interstate, you would be probably right. Federal DOT numbers only apply if vehicle is used commercially across state lines. The only thing that really applies in my state is that any vehicle, except recreational, is required to cross state weigh scales if vehicle or combination is over 10K. Commercial or private use has nothing to do with it. And Iowa troopers take that seriously. They frequently will stop pickups with equipment, dump, or livestock trailers and checking for axle limits and other details. I have a Class A CDL with all endorsements so that part is not an issue.

You are probably dead on regarding it being a shell game and a money grab issue. One thing for certain... as long as I don't go over the GVWR, there is about a snowball's chance in hell of ever going over GAWR.

Edited by Cowpie

Yeah, probably right. It could be to something altogether different as well, like overall vehicle build and how weight affects all aspects of the vehicle safety.

Upfitter guide shows 2017 CC std box 2500 L96 with snowplow will have 5200#

(cowpies 15 and the guide 17 are same rating - seems like the 16 would be also the same)

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/773/2017_LD_Snow_Plow_11_18_2016.pdf

It's 5,200. I started this one back in May. Haven't had a chance to weigh the truck with the plow on. 9'6" Xtreme V (about 1,000 pound plow)...with the rake on the truck being about 3", even though the plow doesn't squat the truck much, it ends up looking rather ridiculous. Might level it some over the summer to help with the plow.

• 2 years later...

just bought a used 2018 gmc 2500hd crew cab with duramax. I assumed that all the duramax trucks had the heavier duty front end rating. This truck only has 5200 on the sticker. Is there a way to increase this to 6000. So I can put my plow on it.