Car Play and Android Auto Suspension

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I am new here. Seeking some advice as I am sure I am not the only one experiencing this. I have been caught unfortunately in this "suspension". Just picked up my truck today, the salesman had to break the news to me... NO Car Play or Android Auto on my 2016 LTZ. I as others opted out of NAV, planned on using a phone for this requirement, as well as other features I was expecting to be able to use. So, what is everybody else doing? I don't plan on accepting this, my order was placed May 2 for this truck,, before the letter came out. Anybody else have advice on how to tackle "fighting" it out with these guys?

Reorder with nav only option unfortunately, as I see no way GM will make it right other than the 200.00 credit originally offered. Or you can go the MVI route and get the proper hardware with the Android Auto/Car Play.

My order was placed February 29th, and its just STARTING production on next Monday. If mine shows up without CarPlay there is going to be hell to pay...

Did you order it with navigation?? If not more than likely you won't get the Android Auto or Car play, unless they recently were shipped the proper parts to complete the trucks as ordered.

I would say you're dead on there. I've been told (and mentioned here) that the IO6 was not affected. Myself and a few others ordered the IO5 for the very reason you mentioned. *Fingers Crossed*

Could be that too many people were forgoing the optional $500 Nav heads ($2K+ if linked to a rear entertainment system package) in favor of the non-Nav heads that could handle auto android and effectively use Google map app and function as a Nav.

What would I do? Easy.... no bucks for a Nav, then no auto android to simulate a Nav and you'd have to spend the $200 reduction for a plug in Nav anyway! So, only sell auto android capable Nav units forcing those that want a built-in Nav and those who must have auto android capability, to spend the extra bucks for the Nav head..........helps to reduce excess '15 inventory stock and '16 Nav inventory to prepare for the '17s changes.

But what do I know, just being paranoid.

No, the reason this happened is due to the earthquake that happened in Japan, which is where the HMI is built. GM can not get any of the HMI's with AA/CarPlay currently. No conspiracy, take off the tin hats boys

The problem I have is that I had may truck built at lightning speed (apparently). Orderd May 2nd, received at my dealer June 9th, I picked it up June 14th. The VERY FIRST indication I heard of this was when I was picking it up. Pretty upset about this. We don't buy brand new vehicles...EVER. Always been used, so you take what you get. This time we splurged and orderd my exact truck...EXACTLY what I wanted. My dealer is also less than impressed. Too add more salt to the wounf, I haven't even received this "credit" in any form, the deal/price was done before we knew about this. My salesman is upset and will be assisting me too, just trying to feel out what everybody else was doing in my situation. I think GM owes me an upgraded unit when they get them. Good thing they had engines in stock, what was the solution for that going to be ....a horse to pull me?

Forget the apple car play, the old units processor is simply gawd awful.

If your music in on your phone, you will understand just how slow and unacceptable it is to begin with.

I personally upgraded the unit using MVI, and the new processor is lightning fast. No way I would accept the slower unit for anything less than a swap out from GM.

I would be a little upset myself, GM should have done it the right way and offered a 200.00 credit on a NAV upgrade as an option to give the buyer a choice on customer ordered trucks when they first knew about it. Building '16 trucks with the '15 HMI module was not the way to go IMO, but neither is holding up production either I guess.. I had no issues with the mylink in my old '15 but the '16 radio does respond quicker. Carplay is kinda cool but using apple maps with SIRI and HFP prompts worked just fine on my '15, had to use the phone screen of course.

I highly doubt GM will ever add carplay back to the '16s that didnt get it.

The problem I have is that I had may truck built at lightning speed (apparently). Orderd May 2nd, received at my dealer June 9th, I picked it up June 14th. The VERY FIRST indication I heard of this was when I was picking it up. Pretty upset about this. We don't buy brand new vehicles...EVER. Always been used, so you take what you get. This time we splurged and orderd my exact truck...EXACTLY what I wanted. My dealer is also less than impressed. Too add more salt to the wounf, I haven't even received this "credit" in any form, the deal/price was done before we knew about this. My salesman is upset and will be assisting me too, just trying to feel out what everybody else was doing in my situation. I think GM owes me an upgraded unit when they get them. Good thing they had engines in stock, what was the solution for that going to be ....a horse to pull me?

Can anyone confirm whether this will be affecting the GMC's? The message says Silverado LT and LTZ, is it safe to assume the Sierra's will suffer the same?

Also, I contacted GM Customer Service and they weren't aware of this restriction. Where did this information come from?

Yup. This is what I got back from GM:

Due to a temporary supply disruption, certain quantities of 2016MY Silverado 1500/2500/3500 and Sierra 1500/2500/3500 trucks were built without Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility. It appears your truck was one of the affected units. The price of your truck was reduced by $200 due to the loss of functionality. This credit is shown on the window label of the vehicle. Due to the supply constraint, an update for your vehicle is unavailable at this time. An update may be available in the future. I am sorry to pass along this information.

• 2 months later...

I was just looking at some 2017 Crew Cab's on local dealer websites and noticed GM has removed all mention of CarPlay and Android Auto as well as the $200 discount from the stickers on trucks with both IO5 and IO6. Their website no longer mentions these features on Silverado, while its still talked about on the other vehicles. Does any one have a status update on the shortage? This is displeasing.

I had the same issue. I found one on the lot with same options but included Nav and Android auto, and some other minor upgrades. They gave me that one for the same price. It was stickered 2k higher than mine. They had to eat it or keep the truck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I was just looking at some 2017 Crew Cab's on local dealer websites and noticed GM has removed all mention of CarPlay and Android Auto as well as the $200 discount from the stickers on trucks with both IO5 and IO6. Their website no longer mentions these features on Silverado, while its still talked about on the other vehicles. Does any one have a status update on the shortage? This is displeasing.

Just looked at GMCs website on the 17 Sierras. Here is the description of the Radio/Nav unit on the build page. It mentions Apple CP but not Android.

Audio system, AM/­FM/­SiriusXM®/HD audio system with 8" Diagonal Color Touch Screen with Navigation and IntelliLink1, USB2 ports and auxiliary jack

Price : $495

This technologically advanced audio system includes navigation capabilities and uses the large, 8" Diagonal Color Touch Screen to display routes and maps.

• Compatible smartphone integration
  • An 8" Diagonal Color Touch Screen that is integrated with the 4.2" cluster display to help minimize driver distractions
  • Gesture recognition that allows users to navigate the 8" Diagonal Color Touch Screen menus by flinging, clicking and dragging, or swiping
  • Wireless Bluetooth®3 streaming audio for music and most phones
  • Voice-activated technology for radio and phone featuring Apple CarPlay™4,5 capability for compatible phone
  • Pandora® Internet radio for a variety of music option

GMC has screwed up things on the website. It is now absolutely unclear if Apple Carplay or Android Auto is even available on the 2017 Sierra 1500. They have removed references to Apple Carplay on the Intellilink Infotainment System pages.

See here for the 2016 Sierra page with highlights Apple Carplay:

http://www.gmc.com/intellilink-infotainment-system/2016-sierra.html

And here is the 2017 page with absolutely no mention of Carplay at all:

http://www.gmc.com/intellilink-infotainment-system/2017-sierra.html

What gives?

Well, I am new here. Seeking some advice as I am sure I am not the only one experiencing this. I have been caught unfortunately in this "suspension". Just picked up my truck today, the salesman had to break the news to me... NO Car Play or Android Auto on my 2016 LTZ. I as others opted out of NAV, planned on using a phone for this requirement, as well as other features I was expecting to be able to use. So, what is everybody else doing? I don't plan on accepting this, my order was placed May 2 for this truck,, before the letter came out. Anybody else have advice on how to tackle "fighting" it out with these guys?

we had this situation with one of my customers and we put in the IO6 for him - we do the right thing here call me next time you buy a truck 631-334-1614

I would be a little upset myself, GM should have done it the right way and offered a 200.00 credit on a NAV upgrade as an option to give the buyer a choice on customer ordered trucks when they first knew about it. Building '16 trucks with the '15 HMI module was not the way to go IMO, but neither is holding up production either I guess.. I had no issues with the mylink in my old '15 but the '16 radio does respond quicker. Carplay is kinda cool but using apple maps with SIRI and HFP prompts worked just fine on my '15, had to use the phone screen of course.

I highly doubt GM will ever add carplay back to the '16s that didnt get it.

it is NOT the same module a the 15 hmi - if you see the two next to each other you notice some subtle differences

GMC has screwed up things on the website. It is now absolutely unclear if Apple Carplay or Android Auto is even available on the 2017 Sierra 1500. They have removed references to Apple Carplay on the Intellilink Infotainment System pages.

See here for the 2016 Sierra page with highlights Apple Carplay:

http://www.gmc.com/intellilink-infotainment-system/2016-sierra.html

And here is the 2017 page with absolutely no mention of Carplay at all:

http://www.gmc.com/intellilink-infotainment-system/2017-sierra.html

What gives?

The link to the 2017 infotainment system page 94 explains apple and android systems if equipped. http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Experience_GMC/GMC_IntelliLink_Radio/2017_Terrain/01_images/2017-intellilink-how-to-guide.pdf

Archived