Any experience w/ Detroit Electrac lock diffs

I have a 2001 4x4 Tahoe. I'm slowly trying to enhance things on it to make it into what I would call a road warrior type vehicle. After getting some ridiculous 9.5 inch lamps on the front end, I'm looking to put a locker on the rear differential (possibly the front).

This product from Tractech looks awesome, but I'm pretty sure we don't have Dana's on our rears.

Detroit Electrac

If I remember correct, it's something like a 'corporate 10 bolt'. Whatever, what I want is a selectable locker in the rear of the Tahoe. Something for those unpleasant rock climbs or mud digs.

Also, I know the clearance on the rig sucks with the running boards and 31inch tires in the front, but a locker can make pathetic clearance less of a problem.

1st, i would recommend much rock climbin' w/ a 10 bolt.

2nd, that's right, they have corporate 10 bolts. I don't think there is a locker for the front 8.25" right now. As far as I know, ARB doesn't even make one. If it's mostly for street, just keep your G80 if you have one. Check your RPO codes to see if you have the G80.

If you really want to wheel, get a Detroit. That's what Im throwin in the rear this summer when i regear.

I talked to Tratech. They have meetings in December to discuss new products. We'll see if they look into making the Electrac for the 10 bolt. Right now, they only have some Danas.

As for rock climbing, I have no intention to take this rig on any rocks that would require the locker. Like I said, no clearance for it. Rocks tend to put big dents in pretty trucks. I was thinking that the Electrac would be beneficial in some mud situations (much more likely in East Texas and Georgia). The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it wouldn't. If I'm in mud, I will probably have both wheels in the mud. Even if I have some spinning on one wheel, I'll still probably have enough traction for the limited-slip to handle the chore.

What are ya'lls thoughts?

I have been in a lot of mud, and sand, not so deep that i sunk my rear axle, but deep enough and slimy enough to require 4 wheel drive to get through.

My Auburn LSD hasnt let me down yet, although much of that is due to the tires i have as well.

I made a mistake, i mentioned the electrac being available in 2004, but what i meant to say was the Eaton E-Locker would be available in 2004 for our 10 bolts.

• 2 weeks later...
I talked to Tratech. They have meetings in December to discuss new products. We'll see if they look into making the Electrac for the 10 bolt. Right now, they only have some Danas.

As for rock climbing, I have no intention to take this rig on any rocks that would require the locker. Like I said, no clearance for it. Rocks tend to put big dents in pretty trucks. I was thinking that the Electrac would be beneficial in some mud situations (much more likely in East Texas and Georgia). The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced it wouldn't. If I'm in mud, I will probably have both wheels in the mud. Even if I have some spinning on one wheel, I'll still probably have enough traction for the limited-slip to handle the chore.

What are ya'lls thoughts?

Call me crazy, but I could have sworn you said: "Whatever, what I want is a selectable locker in the rear of the Tahoe. Something for those unpleasant rock climbs or mud digs." I must have missed something :thumbs:

Anyways, it really depends on how much muddin' you plan on doing. If you hit deep mud a lot, you should consider the Detroit. If it's just occasionaly when you're hunting, fishing, or camping, look into the Auburn Pro or Eaton lsd like dihappy said.

• 3 months later...

What's really interesting about all this is, ARB makes air-lockers for the 7.5" front IFS diff found in the S10/Sonoma/Blazer/Jimmy trucks .... *AND* for the 9.2" front IFS trucks found in 2500 series fullsizes ...

But _NOT_ for the 8.2" IFS diff used in the half tons...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............:lol:

Archived