Delayed transmission engagement 2016 Silverado High Country

jeg11010

I bought a '16 High Country 1500 on Friday afternoon as my first new vehicle purchase. Also my first GM vehicle and first dealership experience. 5.3L V8, 8 speed trans. That night, the transmission started giving me problems. When starting the truck cold, I would shift into either drive or reverse, apply the gas, the truck would rev but not move and then 2-3 seconds later the gear would catch and would lurch the truck in either direction, spinning the wheels. Seems to be only when the truck sits for a bit and then gets run. I brought it to the dealership first thing Saturday morning and was given a loaner. The service manager told me he is unaware of this issue. I called today for an update today and they said it hasn't even gone on the lift yet. Quite frankly I'm a little disappointed that I'm paying about $25 a day for my payment and my truck is sitting in the lot. Not a great way to start ownership of a new vehicle with 20 miles on it. Does anyone know if this is simply a software fix or if it requires something major? I know it has a warranty but I really don't want to own a vehicle that has a bad trans. If anyone knows about this problem and can lend some advice, I would appreciate it. Also, would it be worth contacting someone at GM or let the dealer handle it for now?

I just bought my 2016 3 weeks ago. The tranny does feel slightly hard when going into reverse, cold or warm. I fee like if I look long enough on this site and can make up all the symptoms in my head lol

Guaranteed if you look hard enough for problems you will find them :)

You would know if you had the delayed engagement problem, after sitting overnight when you put it in drive/reverse the first time nothing will happen for a few seconds. Since the idle is up a bit higher when cold when it does engage its hit with a bang. Problem is they all dont do it, its been a complaint on the Corvette forums for a while. Its a pretty complicated repair and some have reported the same issue after it was done. GM draws the line at 3 seconds, if its under 3 seconds to engagement they wont do the stator/pump cover.

Here is the bulletin:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/knowledgebase/article/2015-2016-corvette-service-bulletin-16-na-014-delayed-engagement-after-sitting-with-engine-off-1290.html

Guaranteed if you look hard enough for problems you will find them :)

You would know if you had the delayed engagement problem, after sitting overnight when you put it in drive/reverse the first time nothing will happen for a few seconds. Since the idle is up a bit higher when cold when it does engage its hit with a bang. Problem is they all dont do it, its been a complaint on the Corvette forums for a while. Its a pretty complicated repair and some have reported the same issue after it was done. GM draws the line at 3 seconds, if its under 3 seconds to engagement they wont do the stator/pump cover.

Here is the bulletin:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/knowledgebase/article/2015-2016-corvette-service-bulletin-16-na-014-delayed-engagement-after-sitting-with-engine-off-1290.html

My G8 GT & 2014 GMC sierra both did this w/ the 6L80E my 2015 does it w/ the 8 speed, my A4 GTO & A4 Silverado even did it to some degree - all went north of 100,000 miles w/ no issues (and the G8 I put 128,000 on had a stall converter for the last 40k) - all kept the original tranny intact.

I think its the nature of the beast w/ GM transmissions.

My G8 GT & 2014 GMC sierra both did this w/ the 6L80E my 2015 does it w/ the 8 speed, my A4 GTO & A4 Silverado even did it to some degree - all went north of 100,000 miles w/ no issues (and the G8 I put 128,000 on had a stall converter for the last 40k) - all kept the original tranny intact.

I think its the nature of the beast w/ GM transmissions.

My kid's VW passat has a long delay when it sits overnight, so did a '15 Cherokee with a 9 speed I drove for a bit.

Its not exclusive to GM or the A8 thats for sure. I doubt it will hurt anything long term, better chance of the dealer screwing something up doing the TSB. I have the A8 in my C7 and I have none of the common complaints (yet), delay or converter shudder but I dont doubt some do. My '16 GMC has the A6 and its far from perfect, I havent found many 'perfect' auto transmissions over the years..

My kid's VW passat has a long delay when it sits overnight, so did a '15 Cherokee with a 9 speed I drove for a bit.

Its not exclusive to GM or the A8 thats for sure. I doubt it will hurt anything long term, better chance of the dealer screwing something up doing the TSB. I have the A8 in my C7 and I have none of the common complaints (yet), delay or converter shudder but I dont doubt some do. My '16 GMC has the A6 and its far from perfect, I havent found many 'perfect' auto transmissions over the years..

I got a perfect one in my vette, its a tremec T56 mated to a new style MGW billet short throw shifter w/ lower box - I use my hand & foot to shift it....and it IS perfect :driving::driving::driving:

• 2 years later...

Hey I'm new to the forum,  I have a 2013 gmc sierra 1500 4x4 5.3l 6l80e transmission (rebuilt approximately 100,000km ago, truck has 420,000km on it) The one day it was driving perfectly fine and then the next day we got a snow storm and it started to have problems.  Wouldn't want to move forward, when it did, felt like it didn't want to shift, couldn't do anything with the manual settings as it wasn't showing when I selected it,  reverse lights weren't coming on but was going into gear. I had changed the fluids and the old fluid looked and smelled fine.  And now it seems to drive fine after the initial start up in the morning except for today it seems to be doing the same thing as the first day (got a snow rain mix) did anyone else have this problem/ found the problem? 

• 8 months later...
On 5/3/2019 at 5:55 PM, Archie92 said:

Hey I'm new to the forum,  I have a 2013 gmc sierra 1500 4x4 5.3l 6l80e transmission (rebuilt approximately 100,000km ago, truck has 420,000km on it) The one day it was driving perfectly fine and then the next day we got a snow storm and it started to have problems.  Wouldn't want to move forward, when it did, felt like it didn't want to shift, couldn't do anything with the manual settings as it wasn't showing when I selected it,  reverse lights weren't coming on but was going into gear. I had changed the fluids and the old fluid looked and smelled fine.  And now it seems to drive fine after the initial start up in the morning except for today it seems to be doing the same thing as the first day (got a snow rain mix) did anyone else have this problem/ found the problem? 

I’m having that issue now in my 2012 Silverado with the 6l80. Finally got it to throw a code and it’s saying solenoid 3 stuck open. I have to wait till next weekend to work on it but I’m thinking either something got in the TCM or I’m gonna have to replace it.