2016 5.3L no power

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was my first thought, but let's be real...how many people are wanting a premium fuel only engine when they're in the market for a budget trim truck (SLE or below)? I'm going to go out on a limb and say "not many."

I am not roped in with this group. I think my stock 14 z71 5.3 has plenty of power. If you want more power you have to pay for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my first thought, but let's be real...how many people are wanting a premium fuel only engine when they're in the market for a budget trim truck (SLE or below)? I'm going to go out on a limb and say "not many."

I am not roped in with this group. I think my stock 14 z71 5.3 has plenty of power. If you want more power you have to pay for it

Only GM seems to think so.

Yup. I'm planning on buying one with a 5.3L. I've driven a couple so far. I thought they were plenty peppy enough.

I have a 2015 Sierra with the 5.3 and I had the exact same problem. It would not pull a hill to save it's life. I also put the Diablosport Trinity on it and did the 87 octane tune but did not see the firm shift tune. Is this part of the 87 octane tune or is it actually separate? On the program screen, it only gives me the options of Diablotune, 87 Octane tune, Economy tune, and the stored original tune. It definitely did what I wanted it to with the 87 octane tune. I now have been running 91 or 93 octane and put the Diablotune in it and it is even better.

I was wondering what kind of difference you seen from 87 to 91-93 octane. Since I can't see what changes are actually being made with the higher performance tunes I have been reluctant to install one. I guess I'm paranoid that I could ruin something with the higher performance tunes... so I'm just wondering like is it a significant difference from 87 to 91?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Only GM seems to think so.

Honestly this is not true. You are telling me I can walk into a ford dealer ship and buy a more powerful engine option without paying more. I don't understand this comment.

Thanks everyone for all of your comments. I tried disconnecting the battery for the entire night and when I hooked it back up the next morning, I still felt no difference. I guess i'll have to get a tuner and turn off the torque management. The other issue is that my stock tires suck!! I can spit in front of them and spin them without wanting to. But, on dry pavement, it just gets left by most cars. Lets hope the Diablosport wakes it up. I haven't decided whether to spend the extra money and get the Diablew Tune with it or not since I have no real mods. I appreciate everyone's opinions, posts, and time. Any opinion on shorty headers since all I ever really do is local city driving so I don't need the long tube headers. The shorties will help my low end torque which is all I really need since i'm not racing and the only time I hit the higher rpms as I'm waiting for it to decide to actually go. Any thoughts on that part??

They only offer the 6.2 in the high trim models? That does kinda suck. I don't have any ford or dodge experience so I can't chime in there. My dad seems to like his 3.5 L twin turbo king ranch f-150, although he says he gets 11-12 mpg. He was a GM guy for the longest time but had a tundra he liked and now his ford. Both trucks he was getting 10-12 mpg. I personally still love the Silverado and am enjoying my 14 z71 5.3 along with the 16.5-17.5 mpg for my work commute. I hope you figure it out for you. First world problems, right?

Jason

Holy Crap 11-12 mpg set that aluminum bodied Ford thing on fire and burn it to the ground LOL

2016 GMC Sierra Denali Crew cab 4x4 6.2 (420 hp) 8spd 3.23 gearing averaging 25 mpg. Come on man...

Holy Crap 11-12 mpg set that aluminum bodied Ford thing on fire and burn it to the ground LOL

2016 GMC Sierra Denali Crew cab 4x4 6.2 (420 hp) 8spd 3.23 gearing averaging 25 mpg. Come on man...

attachicon.gifTrip A Nashville to Chicago10-5-16.JPG

You must do a lot of highway driving. That is nice. To be fair he bought his 2 years ago and it was the last f-150 before the aluminum upgrade, and it does have a lift with I think 35's from the dealership.

Hypertech tuner, settled in on 87 octane tune, shift firmness +25%, AFM disabled, trans shift points down -300 rpm at WOT. I run 89 octane or higher fuel. MPG increased about 1 mpg, much more responsive to drive. Keep in mind, mine has the 3.08 gears and now sporting a 275/65-18 tire.

PS - for those that question a turbo'd 6 banger, can't comment on the Ford 2.7L or 3.5L, but FWIW, my wife's 2015 Volvo XC60 T6 with the 3.0L, turbo straight 6 flat out gets it.

I was wondering what kind of difference you seen from 87 to 91-93 octane. Since I can't see what changes are actually being made with the higher performance tunes I have been reluctant to install one. I guess I'm paranoid that I could ruin something with the higher performance tunes... so I'm just wondering like is it a significant difference from 87 to 91?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I would say that it is a significant difference but a difference that can be felt. Even my wife said it felt different and more power and shifted harder at WOT. It even sounds like it is sucking more air through the intake. I would really like to get it on a dyno and see what difference it is really making.

I've been running it consistently for a couple of weeks now and haven't had any issues. The transmission still shifts a little awkwardly from first to second when going slow when taking off at a corner but is a lot better than it was when it was stock.

We just bought a 2016 Dodge Charger R/T with the Hemi and 8-speed transmission. This thing is awesome. If the Ram trucks with the Hemi and 8-speed run like that charger, I may consider trading my truck for one of them.

Hypertech tuner, settled in on 87 octane tune, shift firmness +25%, AFM disabled, trans shift points down -300 rpm at WOT. I run 89 octane or higher fuel. MPG increased about 1 mpg, much more responsive to drive. Keep in mind, mine has the 3.08 gears and now sporting a 275/65-18 tire.

PS - for those that question a turbo'd 6 banger, can't comment on the Ford 2.7L or 3.5L, but FWIW, my wife's 2015 Volvo XC60 T6 with the 3.0L, turbo straight 6 flat out gets it.

I'm glad to see that you also saw an increase in mpg with a different tune. I'm getting tired of all of the other threads where people are complaining about how the transmission shifts and the answer is that it was tuned for maximum mpg efficiency. That is a load of crap when we have re-tuned ours for better performance and better shifting and have increased our mpg.

I'm glad to see that you also saw an increase in mpg with a different tune. I'm getting tired of all of the other threads where people are complaining about how the transmission shifts and the answer is that it was tuned for maximum mpg efficiency. That is a load of crap when we have re-tuned ours for better performance and better shifting and have increased our mpg.

Maybe if you live in an area where it's dead flat the factory settings may be more efficient? Not around here. Anything you can do to effect part throttle response typically shows up as increased fuel efficiency.

Archived