2016 5.3L no power

Hey everyone!

I've been around and quiet for a while. I have a 2016 Silverado LT Crew Cab Short bed with a 5.3L. I put an Airaid intake tube in it and took out the muffler and just put a straight pipe in it's place. Everything else is stock. Is it just me or does this engine just have no power/torque at all??? I am pretty sure the only reason that I can spin the tires is if it rains and because the stock tires are absolute crap!! I'm definitely considering the Diablosport tuner but haven't gotten just yet. I just have not had a stock V8 engine (since my 88 K2500 with a 5.0L TBI) that has been so slow and had no power to it. I am very much into performance and I know the usual intake/exhaust/tuner tricks, but this truck needs some serious help in the power department in my opinion. Like, in order to get some real power i'm going to have to replace the 3.42 with 3.73 and consider adding a supercharger to get even close to the ballpark of what a V8 engine should have. Am I wrong???

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone!

I've been around and quiet for a while. I have a 2016 Silverado LT Crew Cab Short bed with a 5.3L. I put an Airaid intake tube in it and took out the muffler and just put a straight pipe in it's place. Everything else is stock. Is it just me or does this engine just have no power/torque at all??? I am pretty sure the only reason that I can spin the tires is if it rains and because the stock tires are absolute crap!! I'm definitely considering the Diablosport tuner but haven't gotten just yet. I just have not had a stock V8 engine (since my 88 K2500 with a 5.0L TBI) that has been so slow and had no power to it. I am very much into performance and I know the usual intake/exhaust/tuner tricks, but this truck needs some serious help in the power department in my opinion. Like, in order to get some real power i'm going to have to replace the 3.42 with 3.73 and consider adding a supercharger to get even close to the ballpark of what a V8 engine should have. Am I wrong???

I can tell you a lot of the no power is your torque management. I have a steep driveway and going up it slow was just ridiculous. Felt like I had to stomp the gas to get up it. After installing the 87 octane tune from diablo and the firm shift which reduces torque management it really seems like a whole different truck.

That torque management is bullshit. It reduces your torque at takeoff by 30 % I mean that's freaking huge! And again when it shifts.

My truck used to bog down shifting from 1st to 2nd horribly. I had no idea this tuner would make that kind of difference.

And I think turning off afm and torque management made more difference than the tune

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

The modern engines in these trucks have almost twice the power of an engine with similar displacement from the 1980's. That being said, the computer limits things for the sake of, primarily, fuel economy and safety (traction control and the like). I still talk to the salesman who sold me my first Chevrolet when I go in for service every now and again, and I have a buddy who sells Toyotas (Tacomas and tundras are very popular here, and he sells a bunch of them). They both tell me the same thing, while some truck buyers are like us, the vast majority have fuel economy as their number one priority, followed by ride comfort. Most modern truck buyers buy a truck simply because they like having a big vehicle, capability isn't necessarily needed.

The power is there it's just hiding beneath a myriad of systems designed for drive-by-wire, fuel economy, smooth shifting, etc.

If performance and instant access to torque is what you want, then a 70's silverado with a carbeurated V8 would suit you more :)

For your 2016, you need a tune.

I believe that the 5.3 has more than enough power to spin your tires on a dry road. As already suggested, GM needs to meet the demands of a diverse customer base and they strive for high ratings in fuel economy and safety. I would suggest following up with a tune before mechanical upgrades such as re-gearing or adding a supercharger.

#shouldhaveboughta62

I can squak my 5.3 from a standstill no problems. Your probably just hates you for having a straight pipe like the rest of the world. #karmasabitch

an older truck has far less RWHP. v8 from the 80' or early 90's had about 172-200 HP compared to the 5.3 with 355 stock. The difference is they were engineered for low end torque ~2000rpm peak power. Today they are engineered for high band power peaking around 4500. The difference is fuel managment. If your 5.3 was the same you could pretty much watch the gas guage drain. I remeber those days and even though gas was cheap you would have to fuel up way more often like every town or 2 you pass on the highway.

I was thinking about this yesterday after driving my truck for the first time in two weeks(2014 Silverado z71 5.3). We were in my wife's 2003 Honda Pilot for two weeks on a road trip. Her car has maybe 230-240 hp and is adequate for her. I really enjoyed driving her pilot cross country. When I hopped in my z71 I thought, WOW this thing has some serious get up and go. I also came from a 2006 GMC Sierra 4.8 half ton. So from that truck to my 14 it is night and day. This truck is a speed demon. There are times when I think I wish I had more power but I absolutely love my truck. I feel like these days everything has a ton of power and get up and go. So when we hop into a pickup with"only" 355 horsepower we are underwhelmed compared to almost any factory sedan or even all the modern day hot rods on the street. Everything has so much power and there are so many custom tuned specialty trucks that for some people a factory 5.3 just isn't enough. I am not going to touch mine until I pass 100,000 miles. Then we shall see but maybe the OP needs to get himself a raptor or a reaper or the new ram hot rod. Maybe even a 6.2, but overall I think my 14 z71 with 5.3 and 3.42 gears is an amazing truck, I love it!

Jason

I was thinking about this yesterday after driving my truck for the first time in two weeks(2014 Silverado z71 5.3). We were in my wife's 2003 Honda Pilot for two weeks on a road trip. Her car has maybe 230-240 hp and is adequate for her. I really enjoyed driving her pilot cross country. When I hopped in my z71 I thought, WOW this thing has some serious get up and go. I also came from a 2006 GMC Sierra 4.8 half ton. So from that truck to my 14 it is night and day. This truck is a speed demon. There are times when I think I wish I had more power but I absolutely love my truck. I feel like these days everything has a ton of power and get up and go. So when we hop into a pickup with"only" 355 horsepower we are underwhelmed compared to almost any factory sedan or even all the modern day hot rods on the street. Everything has so much power and there are so many custom tuned specialty trucks that for some people a factory 5.3 just isn't enough. I am not going to touch mine until I pass 100,000 miles. Then we shall see but maybe the OP needs to get himself a raptor or a reaper or the new ram hot rod. Maybe even a 6.2, but overall I think my 14 z71 with 5.3 and 3.42 gears is an amazing truck, I love it!

Jason

I was giving this topic some more thought as well. I really enjoy driving my truck and it has plenty of power. My truck is a six cylinder.with 285hp. I am wondering if perhaps the OP is dealing with a faulty engine and the truck should be in for service.

I find that the new trucks have tons of power. I have the 5.3, have owned maybe 6 of them over the years....the new one has the same power that my '03 vette had. For a stock vehicle, I think they're fine.

With that being said, you want more power?? Break out the wallet. Buy a big block, send it out to get built. Just wasting your time with that weak ass 5.3.

By removing the muffler, you've taken away much needed backpressure thus taking away some low end torque. Find a good quality aftermarket muffler (flowmaster etc...) and see some low end torque return.

Yup. This is what I refer to as a "self-critiquing mistake." You (OP) dropped $30k+ on a new truck. Get rid of the half-a$$ed exhaust modification and put a decent cat-back system in its place. If you can't afford that...put the stock system back on until you can afford to put something decent in its place.

Edit: I'm not being a "hater"...I've just been around long enough to see enough people (including myself) f**k up a perfectly good vehicle with crappy modifications.

Hey everyone!

Yes...

Tyler

Archived