2016 5.3L no power

Hey everyone!

I've been around and quiet for a while. I have a 2016 Silverado LT Crew Cab Short bed with a 5.3L. I put an Airaid intake tube in it and took out the muffler and just put a straight pipe in it's place. Everything else is stock. Is it just me or does this engine just have no power/torque at all??? I am pretty sure the only reason that I can spin the tires is if it rains and because the stock tires are absolute crap!! I'm definitely considering the Diablosport tuner but haven't gotten just yet. I just have not had a stock V8 engine (since my 88 K2500 with a 5.0L TBI) that has been so slow and had no power to it. I am very much into performance and I know the usual intake/exhaust/tuner tricks, but this truck needs some serious help in the power department in my opinion. Like, in order to get some real power i'm going to have to replace the 3.42 with 3.73 and consider adding a supercharger to get even close to the ballpark of what a V8 engine should have. Am I wrong???

I feel you, My truck feels the same way but I have to believe it is mostly the torque management and engine tuning. I came from 5 years of nothing but Duramax trucks and while the power band is a little more linear and calm than the diesels it still gets up and goes quite quickly, albeit theres nothing like going 40 in a diesel and stomping the peddle to get the rear end to "boogy" a little bit for ya

I had an old 02 RCSB 4.8l and I could spin the tires in that little stock truck in 1st/2nd around corners no problem and IMO was more fun to drive than this truck and I have to agree that its totally due to the engine tuning.

I also have a 3" straight pipe on my truck from the cat trio back, I started with an 18" muffler but it still sounded too muffled and shitty so I removed it. These trucks are so choked down from the factory you don't need to worry about "backpressure" especially with this modern tuning, the three cats and GM manifolds provide plenty of negative pressure and restriction for you do dump the exhaust post cats. I am itching to get a set of headers and a tune for this to see how it really feels though!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not like the old days of one cat and one muffler. You put exhaust on and gain a bunch of horsepower. One of the reasons for all the cats and mufflers is high flow low noise. Headers is the only way now to gain flow. Is it worth it well that's up to the buyer. Changing mufflers is for sound flow not so much.

Yeah the 5.3 is pretty sluggish. Throttle mapping only worsens the feeling as well. I tell my friends driving this truck is worse then a 4cyl f250 (if they made one.) Yeah I think its that bad too...

I have owned 4 chevys in my driving life. An 82 with a carbed 350, 92 with TBI 350, 02 with the 4.8 and now my 14 with the DI 5.3. These new engines are much more powerful than what came before them but as mentioned they are hampered by the computer. I hauled 2000 pounds of hardwood flooring with 2 trips to get it all (4,000lbs total) and my 14 did it without even knowing it was in the bed of the truck. I have hauled that much weight with my past 3 trucks and you knew when a ton was in the bed of the truck. The flip side is that even though my last 3 trucks didn't have near the power they were much more fun to drive. The 4 speed transmissions (82 was a manual) shifted when the should and fairly smoothly and when your romped on the gas they would throw you back in the seat. I miss the joy I got out of just driving my old trucks and when my 5 year powertrain warranty is up I will probably go with the Diablo 87 tune and see if it can return the enjoyment of just driving a truck. It is not just GM with these problems, my Ford work truck is just as bad except the anti-slip software is even worse.

My last truck was a 5.3 and my new one is a 4.3. I wouldn't consider either engines "sluggish". I believe the mass of the truck may contribute to the perception of a lack of power. With new trucks I find myself relying on the speedometer to check my speed much more than in my wife's car or my motorcycle. I never experience an inability to pass or to merge or to exceed speed limits with my truck. I can squeal around corners, but it is my preference to avoid spinning tires. I appreciate making performance upgrades but I believe if the base motor is preventing you from driving faster than the general public, there is something that needs service.

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it too. If all you're looking for is immediate throttle response (no throttle play) I suggest you look at a Ford. They like to tune their trucks the exact opposite as GM.

For me, I do feel the 5.3 is sluggish but I came from a Tuned 6.2 8 speed and a Camaro SS. I can feel the truck struggling to figure out what gear it should be in, lacking the low end torque the TCM thinks it has. Etc. I suggest a simple handheld tuner to give you more throttle boost that I believe you are missing.

I am sure stabilitrak is coming into play as well. You just can't get the truck sideways and keep the power going. The system wants to control the rearend when all I want it do is to keep pumping the power to the wheels until I get straight and up to speed. I guess a tune will take care of this.

Jason

I recently dropped off my 6.2 8spd at the dealership for some service work (Installed a GM Borla Exhaust) and they gave me a new double cab 5.3. The 5.3 just like my 2014 5.3 is still sluggish and the 6 spd transmission still sucs. I actually popped the hood to verify that it was a 5.3 I thought it was the smaller engine after driving it for a while! NO guts it will barely get out of its own way unless you floor the silly thing. Only way the OP is going to ever be happy is to dump the 5.3 and go with a 6.2.

All I've done to my truck is a full AirAid intake.

My truck is fine for me my salesman and their appraiser took my 2014 out to check it out when I traded it and the AirAid was in.

They both have one in their trucks now.

However the last 4 vehicles I had were two I5 Colorado's then two 3.6 Traverses.

But after you been on a sportbikes and other motorcycles for 31 years everything is slow even the 6.2 ha ha.

5.3 w/ 3.42's has plenty of power, removing your muffler isn't going to effect backpressure enough to create a loss in torque you'd feel ESPECIALLY on a long a$$ truck (removing the whole catback, maybe yes lol) - run E85 you end up right around 90% the hp/tq of the 6.2 and/or get a custom tune, not a "can-o-tune", not a handheld, a real custom dyno tune w/ a street tune follow up.

When the tuner hands you the keys back w/ your dyno slip once you get behind the wheel you'll feel like you just got a brand new truck all over again, I promise to you the difference will be that significant.

The pulled timing, rich fuel maps, weak shift torque pressures, intrusive torque mgmt these trucks are programmed from the factory w/ RUINS the performance potential. Now, keep in mind if you were to get an aggressive tune that completely removed all torque mgmt & dialed up shift torque pressures to full you better be careful when it comes to stomping on the gas when pointed anywhere but straight on anything but a dry stretch of tarnac,,,,,just a little FYI lol

I guess it depends on what you're comparing it too. If all you're looking for is immediate throttle response (no throttle play) I suggest you look at a Ford. They like to tune their trucks the exact opposite as GM.

For me, I do feel the 5.3 is sluggish but I came from a Tuned 6.2 8 speed and a Camaro SS. I can feel the truck struggling to figure out what gear it should be in, lacking the low end torque the TCM thinks it has. Etc. I suggest a simple handheld tuner to give you more throttle boost that I believe you are missing.

Well said. There is definitely different types of responses from different vehicles. My wife's Toyota sedan reacts to the slightest touch on the accelerator but I wouldn't attribute this to more power or a better transmission. I far prefer the response from my truck. We all have different experiences and this serves to make forums such as this so appealing. I am fascinated by people claiming a 5.3 is sluggish yet my 4.3 is not!

I run E 85 in my '14 5.3. I let a girl friend drive it while her Mercedes was in the shop. All she said is that truck is Fast! While I know it's no hot rod, a 5.3 on E 85 has great throttle response and the tranny doesn't hunt for gears. Stomp it and it goes. Too bad all 5.3s don't have the E 85 option anymore.

My personal opinion is that the OP modified his truck too heavily and his computer is trying to compensate for problems that don't really exist. Perhaps a tune might help?

My last truck was a Ford F-150 with the 5.4 Triton V8 and 3.73 gears. It was no slouch, but the Silverado with the 5.3 feels like a hot rod compared to the Ford.

At the same time, its not meant to be a hot rod. It's a truck meant for hauling and towing. While I am very satisfied with how it throws me back in the seat when I hit the gas or merge onto the highway, I don't expect it to warp my eyeballs like a Corvette.

Would I rather a 6.2? I don't know. For how much it costs to buy a 1500 with the 6.2, it's almost worth it to start looking at a 2500 HD with a diesel. Again, just my opinion.

I have the 5.3 and 3.42

Added the airraid tube only, stock exhaust

Had lots of go before the tube.

After the tube - was bogging down on accel on and off - did the battey disconnect for half an hour.

Worked great right after that.... cant say the tube did much cause its just a perky as pre-tube, but not noticibly more. Probably see it on a dyno - but not on an A/B test.

If yours is worse now - then a tuner is gonna be needed,

If you didnt like it before - well you bought the wrong combo.

Mine rocks.

Archived