2016 Silverado remote opening tailgate..

Hello all. I searched the forum but couldn't find anyone who had done this so I thought I'd give it a shot on my own. I already installed the DeeZee tailgate assist since my truck didn't come with that feature and I purchased a universal trunk popper with remote that I'm sure I can figure out how to install. My questions are is there anywhere in the rear I can tap into for constant power to the solenoid and does any one know of a programmable remote fob for the 2016? (I found them for earlier models but not the current models). Thanks in advance.

Edited by Marv88

It's an LS Regular Cab that doesnt come with the tailgate assist but does have the locking tailgate. Unless I'm missing something it seems like tapping in there to use my remote would cause the tailgate to open every time I unlocked the truck from the remote(?).

Edited by Marv88

Just dawned on me it may have appeared that I am looking to unlock the tailgate however I am actually looking to open it from a programmable remote with a separate trunk/hatch button so I don't have to carry 2 remotes

Thanks and that's what I'm doing! (must not have used the correct search terms) I just need to find a universal remote for my year with the trunk/hatch button that is capable of learning the factory code as well as the aftermarket remote code or I'll just have to carry the extra remote.

• Like 1

Thanks very much Dub! I'll have to read through your thread again more carefully but if I understand correctly I program the pac for a 5x unlock, hit the unlock 1 time to unlock the doors and 4 more times within the time period set to open the tailgate(?)

• 1 month later...

Could have used this yesterday when I nearly dumped my arms full of stuff on the ground while trying to open the tailgate so I'm going to take some time to finish it up this weekend. Parts were inexpensive and from the instructions I was pointed to here it looks fairly easy to install/wire up....

Message_1480697460187_zpsvh84ctyq.jpg

***edit**

I forgot to mention I found my truck sends out a double pulse for each click of the factory key fob so I just programmed the TR7 for twice the amount of pulses I actually wanted.

Took some time to finish this up today. It took a little patience to program the TR7 trigger however it went quickly once I realized I couldn't pause between certain functions to look at the instructions (I had to read ahead a bit and remember the sequence which took a few tries). I have the locking tailgate so I used that wire as a trigger however I have seen some who wired back to the cab for the trigger (unfortunately I don't know where to find that). Works like a champ by hitting the factory unlock button 3 times (you can program it any way you like) however I will need a popper of some sort since it won't open on it's own unless the truck is sitting with the rear slightly down. Thanks to those that got me pointed in the right direction!

Parts needed...

PAC TR7 trigger module

standard 12v 5 pin relay with diode

2 heavy duty door lock actuators with hardware

inline fuse holder

power/ground wire

wire loom

basic connectors and/or soldering supplies, wire loom, zip ties, electrical tape etc

Tools I used..

#15 torx for cover screws

10mm socket for tailgate handle bolt

tiny screwdriver/pic etc to turn trigger switch on

drill

basic hand tools

wire stripper/crimper

soldering iron

Wiring is as follows..

PAC TR7 Trigger..

Green or Brown wire to white wire on factory lock actuator

Red wire to 12v constant power

black to ground

Blue to 86 on the relay

Relay

30 to 12v constant power

85 to ground

87 to actuator (my actuators used the green wire for pulling so I grounded the blue)

Soldered in an inline waterproof fuse holder....

20161203_195312_zpsyiomsa9d.jpg

I don't plan to tow anything until next summer so I temporarily wired into the trailer harness for +/- and will eventually get a 5th wheel t connector extension along with a receptacle so I can connect without having to cut any factory wires while retaining the ability to plug in a trailer.

I drilled a hole in the cover and connected the wires with spade connectors..

20161203_211359_zps0gjongxg.jpg

20161203_211603_zpsmiwwwxc9.jpg

Fuse holder is behind license plate..

20161204_100356_zpsjkj9ibyv.jpg

Made some mounting brackets for the actuators from some scrap aluminum and shortened/bent the connecting rods for clearance..

20161204_094726_zpshsq9psq8.jpg

The cover won't go back on flush so I'm going to try another approach for mounting the actuators (I didn't want to drill into the tailgate)

20161204_123412_zpsxntd52ej.jpg

20161204_123352_zpsmpo5jv2l.jpg

I mounted the relay to one of the bolts holding the tailgate handle on and the PAC TR7 is under the panel behind it

20161204_123359_zpsp2zksqrf.jpg

Overall views from both sides..

Message_1480884906611_zps2qaclr9a.jpg

Message_1480885018296_zpssbvh92vr.jpg

Edited by Marv88

Almost forgot, if your truck doesn't already have the soft opening feature you will need to add something like the DeeZee tailgate assist so it doesn't drop like a rock!

Resized_20161006_084638_zpsfbzohcz5.jpeg

Resized_20161006_084653_zps8an7fho0.jpeg

Edited by Marv88