2016 Silverado remote opening tailgate..

• 1 year later...
On 1/4/2017 at 4:36 AM, iamdanieltuck said:

So i solved it. It's pretty simple and requires an additional relay. Essentially run the power wire thru 86a (normally closed) term on a Bosch relay and trigger it to break when the brake lights are triggered. Tap that in the trailer harness. That breaks the pulse cycle and allows the tr7 to function normally.

I can write this up for anyone or prebuilt an entire kit for $200 that you just tap the described wires and install. I'm happy to help anyone to get it to work.

With the relay I described, you can turn the option on and off with the unlock light feedback option in the hmi of the truck. Essentially I designed it to be able to turn it off while towing or anytime to prevent accidental drop. When unlocking, the courtesy lights come on so you know the remote worked. When the light feedback option is on, the brake/turn signals flash, which would break the relay. When the option is off....a triple unlock will drop the tailgate. If there is enough requests, I'll edit a write up the solution. I'll sell the prewired/programmed PAC module kit for $200 plus shipping. I'll post video explanations upon request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you had many requests for this Module Kit or have a detailed Write-Up existing anywhere? I haven't seen one and none of the pictures in this thread work anymore so while I think I'm following, it's hard to know for sure without the visuals! Definitely interested in making this happen on my truck one way or another though.

14 hours ago, youn1033 said:

14 hours ago, youn1033 said:

Have you had many requests for this Module Kit or have a detailed Write-Up existing anywhere? I haven't seen one and none of the pictures in this thread work anymore so while I think I'm following, it's hard to know for sure without the visuals! Definitely interested in making this happen on my truck one way or another though.

You can find the pictures starting on this page of my Photobucket and another member her found that if you just add another relay on the pulsing wire you will not have the random tailgate dropping issue. 

http://s29.photobucket.com/user/MrMarv/library/Mobile Uploads?sort=3&page=5

Edited by Marv88

31 minutes ago, Tleesmith14 said:

I would be interesting in making this mod as well.  However with mine having the factory sprayed in Bedliner wonder how hard that will make it. Would love to see the how to and videos on this 

My post just above yours has a link to the pictures that Photobucket blocked 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2017 at 4:36 AM, iamdanieltuck said:

So i solved it. It's pretty simple and requires an additional relay. Essentially run the power wire thru 86a (normally closed) term on a Bosch relay and trigger it to break when the brake lights are triggered. Tap that in the trailer harness. That breaks the pulse cycle and allows the tr7 to function normally.

I can write this up for anyone or prebuilt an entire kit for $200 that you just tap the described wires and install. I'm happy to help anyone to get it to work.

With the relay I described, you can turn the option on and off with the unlock light feedback option in the hmi of the truck. Essentially I designed it to be able to turn it off while towing or anytime to prevent accidental drop. When unlocking, the courtesy lights come on so you know the remote worked. When the light feedback option is on, the brake/turn signals flash, which would break the relay. When the option is off....a triple unlock will drop the tailgate. If there is enough requests, I'll edit a write up the solution. I'll sell the prewired/programmed PAC module kit for $200 plus shipping. I'll post video explanations upon request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/11/2018 at 11:52 PM, Tleesmith14 said:

I would be interesting in making this mod as well.  However with mine having the factory sprayed in Bedliner wonder how hard that will make it. Would love to see the how to and videos on this 

Any updates on if you are still willing and/or able to create such a module???

• 6 months later...

I've had this mod installed on my truck for a little while now and it works great. After testing different variations the write up below is my final setup. If you haven't read thru this thread from the beginning please do so or you'll miss some great information. I'll include the product links wherever possible to the components I used. As I'm in Canada all Amazon links are Amazon.ca but they are equally available on Amazon.com

I initially followed what was shared and used the second 5 pin relay to break the TR7 via the brake light.

i) This still left the opportunity for false triggers and the tailgate could still inadvertantly open due to the wake voltage always present at the latch.. especially when working on the truck, in between driving for a while or anytime you're in and out of the truck repeatedly

ii) I like "blinky" lights :) and was not happy without the visual indicator the lights provided during the day.

iii) I wanted to make use of the 5 second timer function provided by the TR7.

1) Add the actuators:

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B078NR7VSD?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

20180916_194007.thumb.jpg.af61c8b45778b1fac921cd585536d74e.jpg

.. for these actuators

Green (+ pin 87 Relay)

Blue (-)

2) Add the PAC TR7.. this needs to be programmed first.. just follow the included directions they are straight forward. It is helpful to write down all steps on a sheet of paper to follow as the steps are time sensitive. I programmed mine for 5 pulses

3) Wire up the relay, TR7, reed switch and actuators. I prebuilt a quick harness with split loom to protect it so that I just needed to plug everything in and mount in the truck. I ran my harness alongside the OEM harness thru the tailgate and tapped 12VDC (+) and Ground (-) at the 7 pin trailer wiring using Posi-taps (I already had a Curt T harness installed which made things much easier and left OEM wiring untouched) and used a T tap for the OEM power lock

Curt T harness

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007EA6WQU?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

PAC TR7

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0002J22BO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_x6j3BbF0W8JZN

Relay 4 pin fused 10A

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292431144426

Reed switch .. I used a door sensor that I already had from eBay like this one:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F172427519414

7 Pin Trailer Harness

Red (+ 12VDC)

Black (-)

Relay

30 (+ 12VDC)

85 (-)

86 (PAC TR7 Blue)

87 (Actuator Green)

PAC TR7

Red (+ 12VDC fused)

Black (-)

Green (+ Trigger from Reed switch)

Blue ( pin 86 Relay)

Reed switch

Input (+ White at OEM tailgate lock)

Output (PAC TR7 Green)

Everything was mounted without drilling using zip ties. The TR7 was attached to inside support. The Reed switch was attached to the lock armature and a small magnet was simply placed on the backside of the lock tumbler.. the magnet is plenty strong enough to stay in place.. the magnet placement was optimized using a multimeter. The relay and a fuse holder were secured using bolts on the bottom side of some scrap sheet metal and attached using the OEM bolt in the middle (which also served as the ground point for the actuators)

I have a tonneau cover installed which caused drag/resistance across the top of the tailgate preventing the auto drop to function with the cover installed.  A cheap door popper from Amazon solved this and the tailgate functions great now whether or not the cover is closed or the truck is parked facing downhill.

The PAC TR7 now functions as intended with the 5 timer without any chance of false triggers. The trigger input pulses only when the lock physically cycles bringing the reed switch in range of the magnet and closing the circuit. Press the OEM key fob unlock button 5 times within 5 seconds and the tailgate opens

Door popper

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B079Z82SYJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_uZk3BbKBQWKFH

Finished installed.. everything hidden

large.20181006_164104.jpg.ed96290e4341dc145ebacd5a804a62fc.jpg

Relay and TR7 mounted at right

large.20181006_163506.jpg.b9aa5f83486b79bdad7e6b5f62bce3a5.jpg

Reed switch zip tied to lock actuator

20181101_172010.jpg

Magnet placed on lock tumbler

20181101_172103.jpg

Zip tie door popper to tonneau cover rail

20181102_162400.jpg