WDT Emblem Vinyl Overlay

I know we have the store here that sells the bowtie emblem overlays, but does anyone know where to get them in white diamond tricoat? Mine is currently plasti-dipped, but still looks fantastic. It's going to be time to re-do it soon though, so was thinking vinyl instead for longevity.

Bear with me here....

I have a chrome bowtie on the front of my Suburban. After its first winter here in Michigan, it was all dull and pitted. I got a replacement, but I wanted better protection. I went out and bought a roll of the hood protector - the clear plastic that's like two inches thick and designed for the front edge of your hood. I cut out a piece matching the shape of the bowtie and put it on. It's lasted three winters, and still looks great.

So I guess what I'm saying is just re-dip your bowtie white, and then add the vinyl protective film and it should last a lot longer.

Or just do a tri-coat paint job with 3-4 coats of clear. If after a few years you get a few rock chips sand down the clear a bit if the pearl wasn't hurt and re-clear with a couple of coats.

I know it's tough to keep them nice, I re-installed mine the next day after painting and I should have waited a couple of days for the clear to harden good. I met up with a bug that had it's helmet on and now I have a little speck that's gone right through the clear and silver paint, So next year when I pull it of to re-do it my truck will be 3 days without it to give time for the clear to cure.

Oh! forgot to mention you will also need vinyl adhesion primer....

2016-10-12%2016.02.47_zpsbunuosow.jpg

GM should wake up and realize that this is their logo, their infamous bowtie and if they can't even make this last for 3 years how can they expect us to believe the truck will last any longer.

I have a friend that owns a graphics shop and he gave me some pieces of gloss, flat and carbon fiber vinyl to do my '00 and my sons '09. I did my '00 in about 30 minutes. The trick is to get the emblem clean especially in the crack. I used Windex and a thin rag with a thin piece of metal to back in there good. Allowed it to dry and then simply laid it over the emblem cutting the vinyl along the outer edge of the crack and it turned out great as far as I'm concerned. Use a good quality vinyl for UV or it won't last long.

Archived