The age old suspension lift question!

Hello everyone!

Let's start with what I currently have:

1) 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ 4WD with a 3" leveling lift by Maxtrac

What the lift does not have:

1) New Control arms to adjust for the changed geometry (yes I know the ball joints are going to go back which is why I want to upgrade)

2) New Shocks to compliment the lift size

3) A drop bracket for the transfer case

4) Stock turning radius

This all being said I am not by any means a lift expert so I'm a little lost with all this. I hate to say it but I don't go off roading too often so my upgrade won't see a lot of mud....yet...

Like most, I'm not looking to spend an arm or a leg on this. 6" is too high for me right now in face a buddy was willing to give me his used 6" pro comp for his 2WD I'd just have to buy the missing pieces but it's just too tall for my taste since it isn't going to see a lot of off-roading and it's too hard to manage a car seat that high for the wife.

Thus, I'm looking for alternatives. I'd like to stay under 700 even lower if possible. Move up to a 4" or a 5" max to run 275/65r20s.

Questions:

1) Can I utilize my existing lift which i believe is an over the spindle lift and just fix the geometry and get better shocks and everything be great/ way cheaper?

2) I've seen some negatives on RC lifts out there but I know they are popular. Thoughts?

3) Fabtech has a 4" budget lift as well, does anyone have thought on this?

Though my pride and testosterone wants the 4-5 inch lift up higher so those volts tremble, the 1st option would be most ideal so any thoughts on that would be great!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Budget lifts are hot sells for those who don't know better. They are band-aid kits and do more harm in the end. Much like the 3" kit you have now. These cheap lifts use a modest diff drop to correct CV angles and some include new UCAs that are angled to prevent them from bottoming out on the droop stop, but do very little to correct the angle of the ball joints. Your TREs and LCAs meanwhile, still suffer the full brunt of a 4" lift. The result? Rapidly worn parts and a stiff ride. Sure people will say, "Mine is great." "Mine rides better than stock." But let's be honest. Most people are inclined to defend what they buy, especially when they've been told better. And never trust the shop SELLING it to give you an honest recommendation. And it's a contradiction of common sense to think a lifted truck with heavy wheels and tires will ride better than a stock setup. That's just never going to be the case. So with that said, to get a decent 4" suspension lift, you will ultimately pay the same price for a 6" kit. If money is a sticking point go down to a 2.5" leveling kit and add a 1.5" body lift.

Budget lifts are hot sells for those who don't know better. They are band-aid kits and do more harm in the end. Much like the 3" kit you have now. These cheap lifts use a modest diff drop to correct CV angles and some include new UCAs that are angled to prevent them from bottoming out on the droop stop, but do very little to correct the angle of the ball joints. Your TREs and LCAs meanwhile, still suffer the full brunt of a 4" lift. The result? Rapidly worn parts and a stiff ride. Sure people will say, "Mine is great." "Mine rides better than stock." But let's be honest. Most people are inclined to defend what they buy, especially when they've been told better. And never trust the shop SELLING it to give you an honest recommendation. And it's a contradiction of common sense to think a lifted truck with heavy wheels and tires will ride better than a stock setup. That's just never going to be the case. So with that said, to get a decent 4" suspension lift, you will ultimately pay the same price for a 6" kit. If money is a sticking point go down to a 2.5" leveling kit and add a 1.5" body lift.

Great response! I agree with all of that which is what makes this so hard :/ I don't want to move down because at that point there's no point correct? I'm still creating cv problems and steering stiffness. If I add new UCAs will that fix my problem? I'm planning on putting the lift on myself too or going 1k max to have someone do all of it. Advice on the lift? Like I said it's pretty much for looks not action. It will maybe see the dirt 3 times a year. Also I just checked and not sure if it matters but I have forged steel UCA.

Im looking at these:

RC 4.75 lift:

http://www.roughcountry.com/gm-combo-lift-kit-292-4.html

Fabtech:

https://www.amazon.com/Fabtech-K1070M-Budget-System-Shock/dp/B00T9GBP1Y/ref=sr_1_28?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1477780670&vehicle=2015-47-491-478-128-53-6-8-18671--8-1-2676--1-0&sr=1-28&ymm=2015%3Achevrolet%3Asilverado+1500&keywords=suspension+lift+kit&refinements=p_36%3A40000-75000

Or would you have any better suggestions? I just don't want to go up to 6" as a lift

The RC link gives an error and the Fabtech kit is precisely what I warned against above. No subframe = no good. Seriously just remove the 3" spacer, drop to a 2.5" leveling kit and then do a 1.5" body lift. Bingo! 4" of clean, part and money saving lift. Well under budget.

You can band-aid your 3" kit with a good set of UCA's and a diff drop kit. Both easy installs. IMO That would be way better than any 3 - 4" budget kit that comes with a tall spacer and some very cheap UCA's. Cognito is what I would recommend for someone living in a climate where rust is an issue or salt/chems are used on the roads during the winter since it is an upgraded sealed ball joint. Mazzulla, Icon and Camburg all use a uniball which needs to be serviced and lubricated more often.

BUT, it is still less than ideal than a full 4"+ kit that has a drop bracket and puts everything back to stock angles to achieve the lift. But to do this is a considerable cost and is going to run you way more than $1k to get a good kit.

I wont bust anyones balls for what lift they chose, their checkbook, their truck, their prerogative. 2.5" Leveling kit on stock components is the limit of what I would personally run. My truck only has 12k on it and thats what I went with. After that or on higher mileage components I would be looking at a set of King, Icon or Fox coilovers and an upgraded UCA. After that, a quality drop bracket kit with a good strut/shock combo is where I would go.

I'm so lost with all this lol rather than buying a smaller level then shouldn't I be able to just upgrade my UCA and a shock/ strut combo? Do I need a drop bracket right now? The RC lift that didn't load is the 4.75 RC lift with UCA and drop brackets and shocks. Would it be worth it to get that then and put it on myself then take it to get aligned?

Dont do it. I had a budget lift on for a week... 4 days out of the 7 were waiting on my zone lift to arrive and be installed and to remove the budget lift. Angles are shot, w.o dropping everything. Believe me I was scared to drive my truck. You'll wind up spending more going the route your trying to go.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Dont do it. I had a budget lift on for a week... 4 days out of the 7 were waiting on my zone lift to arrive and be installed and to remove the budget lift. Angles are shot, w.o dropping everything. Believe me I was scared to drive my truck. You'll wind up spending more going the route your trying to go.

So don't do the RC lift? Or don't do the new UAC arms?

4in budget

693adc956fcfedda5d086a61b900f5d5.jpg

4.5in zone

d44e153383b33e940ae3bc9e25bec2b3.jpg

So go with the zone lift? Am I going to have that same problem with the RC lift as the budget?

So go with the zone lift? Am I going to have that same problem with the RC lift as the budget?

Idk about the combo lift. But just by looking at it. Its a budget. It'll look like budget pic

great pics Clasick, what are my options if i have aluminum control arms

That my friend you will have to do some research on. I have stamped steel. But all the companies are making kits for all 3 different arms. Just make sure w.e kit you get has a real drop. ie spindle knuckle drop and diff drop. You can thank me later

Idk about the combo lift. But just by looking at it. Its a budget. It'll look like budget pic

Shoot thats what I'm afraid of. All I really care about is having the correct angles on all of it I'm more than happy to just keep my 3" lift now, fix the angles, and get the bigger tires. Am I able to just buy the parts to correct that?

Archived