2014 Silverado Shutting off.

I have a 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71. I have loved my truck since the day I had the keys handed to me, that was until about 6 months ago. I got back from a deployment and about a month later the truck started acting weird. First I noticed my headlights dimming while driving. Driving to church one day I had my cruise control on at 55 mph, went to change lanes and my turn signal turned off my cruise control. I did it 3 times to make sure I wasn't just seeing things. About 20 minutes later my radio cut off, then my air conditioning and then my whole dash turned off, almost like the truck shut off. A second later everything came back on. At this point I was nervous to drive the truck so I went to park, right as I slowed down a SERVICE STABLITRAK popped up, all my lights started flashing, got a LOSS OF STEERING and then the truck shut off. Put it in park. Started right back up with now problem. No check engine light, no codes thrown almost like nothing happened.

Took it to a GMC dealer that next Monday. They did some recalls on the truck and messed with the computer about. Dealer drove it and couldn't get the truck to act up. So I thought the recall fixed it.

A month later. Driving down my road at about 35 mph truck shut off. No warning. No flashing lights nothing. Coasted down the road and then put it in park. Turned the truck back over and it gave me a SERVICE STABLITRACK and a LOSS OF STEERING. This time I took it a Chevrolet Dealership. They also could not find anything wrong.

A few days later. Driving through Starbucks I got a SERVICE STABLITRAK. Instead of pulling out on the highway I pulled into a parking space to be safe. Before I could pull all the way in I got a LOSS OF STEERING light and the steering wheel locked up. Everything flashed, the doors locked and then the truck shut off. Truck wouldn't unlock or do anything when the ignition was turned for about 3-5 minutes. At this point I was blocking traffic and was locked in my truck. Unsafe and embarrassed with my family in the truck. This time it gave me a CHECK ENGINE light at least.

Took it back into Chevrolet that next Monday. They followed the check engine light codes and messed around with the engine wire harness. They called me the following day saying the truck was ready to be picked up and hopefully this will never happen again.

A few months later. Got a SERVICE STABLITRAK as I was about to pull onto the highway. I stopped, pulled my phone out and pulled into the nearest parking lot. I caught everything on video. The head lights dimming. The steering wheel locking up. The doors locking by themselves and then finally the truck shutting off. Along with starting the truck back up and it acting like nothing happened.

I took it back into Chevrolet that next day. Told them what happened and gave them the video in hopes that it will help them fix the truck. Given that every little bit of info could help at this point. They called me 2 days later saying they checked everything that they were supposed to and couldn't find anything wrong. Told me it was ready for pick up.

Unfortunately this time I was done. I told them I was not picking the truck up until they could tell me for certain that they truck wouldn't shut off again. I contacted GM customer service and stated my problems and my dissatisfaction. They told me they know that I am worried for my safety and are sorry for my frustration but there is nothing they can do.

I am disgusted with Chevrolet. I have always owned Chevy to the point I pretty much preached their good name. After this combination of quality in the truck and quality in customer service, I will never own another Chevrolet after this.

Wow...JUST WOW!!!! So sorry this has happened and hope it gets fixed! Must be a loose ground wire or loose connector somewhere. This is crazy, I'd be very upset too! Keep trying different dealerships.

Daniel

I have a 2014 Silverado LTZ Z71. I have loved my truck since the day I had the keys handed to me, that was until about 6 months ago. I got back from a deployment and about a month later the truck started acting weird. First I noticed my headlights dimming while driving. Driving to church one day I had my cruise control on at 55 mph, went to change lanes and my turn signal turned off my cruise control. I did it 3 times to make sure I wasn't just seeing things. About 20 minutes later my radio cut off, then my air conditioning and then my whole dash turned off, almost like the truck shut off. A second later everything came back on. At this point I was nervous to drive the truck so I went to park, right as I slowed down a SERVICE STABLITRAK popped up, all my lights started flashing, got a LOSS OF STEERING and then the truck shut off. Put it in park. Started right back up with now problem. No check engine light, no codes thrown almost like nothing happened.

Took it to a GMC dealer that next Monday. They did some recalls on the truck and messed with the computer about. Dealer drove it and couldn't get the truck to act up. So I thought the recall fixed it.

A month later. Driving down my road at about 35 mph truck shut off. No warning. No flashing lights nothing. Coasted down the road and then put it in park. Turned the truck back over and it gave me a SERVICE STABLITRACK and a LOSS OF STEERING. This time I took it a Chevrolet Dealership. They also could not find anything wrong.

A few days later. Driving through Starbucks I got a SERVICE STABLITRAK. Instead of pulling out on the highway I pulled into a parking space to be safe. Before I could pull all the way in I got a LOSS OF STEERING light and the steering wheel locked up. Everything flashed, the doors locked and then the truck shut off. Truck wouldn't unlock or do anything when the ignition was turned for about 3-5 minutes. At this point I was blocking traffic and was locked in my truck. Unsafe and embarrassed with my family in the truck. This time it gave me a CHECK ENGINE light at least.

Took it back into Chevrolet that next Monday. They followed the check engine light codes and messed around with the engine wire harness. They called me the following day saying the truck was ready to be picked up and hopefully this will never happen again.

A few months later. Got a SERVICE STABLITRAK as I was about to pull onto the highway. I stopped, pulled my phone out and pulled into the nearest parking lot. I caught everything on video. The head lights dimming. The steering wheel locking up. The doors locking by themselves and then finally the truck shutting off. Along with starting the truck back up and it acting like nothing happened.

I took it back into Chevrolet that next day. Told them what happened and gave them the video in hopes that it will help them fix the truck. Given that every little bit of info could help at this point. They called me 2 days later saying they checked everything that they were supposed to and couldn't find anything wrong. Told me it was ready for pick up.

Unfortunately this time I was done. I told them I was not picking the truck up until they could tell me for certain that they truck wouldn't shut off again. I contacted GM customer service and stated my problems and my dissatisfaction. They told me they know that I am worried for my safety and are sorry for my frustration but there is nothing they can do.

I am disgusted with Chevrolet. I have always owned Chevy to the point I pretty much preached their good name. After this combination of quality in the truck and quality in customer service, I will never own another Chevrolet after this.

Others in this forum have had similar issues. Seems like the most common cures are either, new battery, positive or negative battery cables terminations are improperly crimped causing high resistance at times in those cables, or a new engine bay fuse block. My money is on the cables. Good luck.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/10/2016 at 5:41 PM, Stanley_USMC said:

Wow, this just happened to me today, i figured that it was a short or something. But once again it is Gm constant lack of quality and not being able to diagnose the issue when multiple people are having this EXACT issue. what is even more scary is i am heading home towing the camper Monday morning God help me if this happens again, God help GM if it does and i live thru it........ 

2014 GMC Sierra,  120k  New transmission, AC Condenser, Coolant tank, Headlights, AC compressor, Burns (2) qts oil between oil changes, Transmission Thermostatic valve , Seat Heater replaced and lower one not working again and now Ghost in the wiring....  whats Next???  Dodge looking better every day not sure how much more i can take.

• 5 months later...

I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2014 Siverado 4x4 last June (2019) with 19000 mile on it. I have had the vehicle completely shut off, like some one pulled the plug on it, three times, twice in one day and one more time two days later. It's at the dealership now, the system did show some issues with it shorting out but unable to find out whats wrong. They did check ground "PIT5405" and was good. They are trying to duplicate the issue so the can fix it, not realy sure what that will tell them. I'm just afraid that I purchease some ones problems and now I'm screwed.

14 hours ago, moyneur said:

I purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2014 Siverado 4x4 last June (2019) with 19000 mile on it. I have had the vehicle completely shut off, like some one pulled the plug on it, three times, twice in one day and one more time two days later. It's at the dealership now, the system did show some issues with it shorting out but unable to find out whats wrong. They did check ground "PIT5405" and was good. They are trying to duplicate the issue so the can fix it, not realy sure what that will tell them. I'm just afraid that I purchease some ones problems and now I'm screwed.

At this point, since you are the customer, have them check the battery/fuse, cables, and all ground connections. If you are not happy with what they come up with, let them and GM know!

They have seen this problem before, the trucks have been around 6 model years now, should be no mysteries when these problems come up.

And welcome to the site, sorry your first posts are on the negative side, they are good trucks when you get the bugs sorted out.

Edited by JimCost2014

• 4 months later...

We just had this problem.  We were coming from the beach and the cruise control turned off when we signaled.  A few miles later the door locks clicked and just as we pulled into the driveway the car completely shut off.  It wouldn't turn on at all, completely dead, including the door locks.  I unloaded the vehicle and decided to try to jump it, but when I got into the truck the dash lights came on and the vehicle started up as if nothing was wrong.  I took it to have the alternator and battery checked and everything was fine.

• 5 months later...

I've had all of these same issues for awhile.  After reading some posts on here, I followed my ground to where it mounts to the frame and sure enough, there was a huge amount of rust. (I'm assuming from running the A.C.) im going to sand all the rust off. Im hoping this fixes all my issues. Hopefully this helps you.

• 5 months later...
On 11/10/2016 at 7:25 PM, Brianibew said:

My Father had an issue with his 2014 GMC he would hit his brakes and the dash and headlights would either dim or go out all together, plus when he's driving on cruise control when he went to get back in the right lane cruise control shut off, plus when he has went to pull into a parking spot meaning for now or so far at slow speeds when he turns the wheel sharply the truck shuts off and the wheel locks

blockquote widget

• 2 months later...

Cruise control shuts off when turning the signal left. Then turning right the cruise turns back on. I also shut off the cruise totally, I dont have any issues. I also hear an occasional, buzzing around the transmission. I will check the grounds. Worried about the transmission going out as it is an issue with 2014's. Thanks for any other suggestions.

• 1 year later...

This same things been happening to me for months & is getting worse. Brakes kill power for a second, blinkers do the same, hitting the brights. Anything that takes power. Died on my turning into a road one time which was dangerous & has been dying a lot when reversing & turning. Have a video for proof & taking it to the shop soon. If anyone would like to see or has a solution we can get in touch. Not sure if you can post videos here.

On 7/13/2022 at 7:57 AM, JgravesWelding said:

This same things been happening to me for months & is getting worse. Brakes kill power for a second, blinkers do the same, hitting the brights. Anything that takes power. Died on my turning into a road one time which was dangerous & has been dying a lot when reversing & turning. Have a video for proof & taking it to the shop soon. If anyone would like to see or has a solution we can get in touch. Not sure if you can post videos here.

Check your battery to see if its on it's last leg, negative terminal cable for damage and your ground wires to make sure they are on tight and clean.