Key FOB range

6.2Midnight

Question

Why is it that my key FOB can reach my 2017 LTZ-Z71 Silverado Midnight 1500, but when I try to remote start my truck it does not seem to reach.

Example: I Push the lock Icon once (lights flash), hold down the Remote start button, and hold for approximately four seconds (lights flash again), and it will start, SOMETIMES. Sometimes it does not start, but the lights will flash when I hit the lock button...

Is this common? Seem like if the FOB can reach the truck, it will do any function it should.

6 answers to this question

Try holding the key fob under your chin and press the start button I heard about this along time ago and it works trust me I do it with mine all the time when the truck is to far away from the fob to get a signal, hold it under your chin touching the bottom and it increases the range of the signal iam not BSing you. If you don't believe search it on Google.

Yeah, I know that one from the '80's when I was a kid. but, thanks though. I was hoping that I could get an answer that would solve why the range sucks so bad. I read back in to 2014 range and found that some people have gone with Viper, Compustar, or even went with a 2016 battery, and doubled it up (don't sound correct to me). I would have though that over all of these years, they would have tried to knock out the aftermarket by improving themselves. The phone app is great, no doubt about it, but sometimes it's much quicker to use the key FOB...

I still don't understand why I can lock the truck, but not remote start it...

Edited by 6.2Midnight

Sounds like an issue with the truck not the fob if the lights flash with the rvs request.

I currently have a '17 rental while my '14 is in the body shop. I noticed that it doesn't rvs at times just like yours. I'm guessing their is an issue with the bcm as that is the module that is responsible for the rvs request.

Try your second fob to make sure it's not a fob issue just in case.

Edited by ChevyTech77

On 1/30/2017 at 8:27 PM, 6.2Midnight said:

Why is it that my key FOB can reach my 2017 LTZ-Z71 Silverado Midnight 1500, but when I try to remote start my truck it does not seem to reach.

Example: I Push the lock Icon once (lights flash), hold down the Remote start button, and hold for approximately four seconds (lights flash again), and it will start, SOMETIMES. Sometimes it does not start, but the lights will flash when I hit the lock button...

Is this common? Seem like if the FOB can reach the truck, it will do any function it should.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but did you ever find a solution to your problem? I have the exact same issue on my 2015 LT Silverado. I could lock/ unlock it from across a Walmart parking lot, but the remote start is a different story. I’ve got 3 fobs, 2 GM, 1 aftermarket, all with brand new ultimate lithium batteries, and the range flat out sucks. I’m thinking mine could be a loose wire at the RCDLR module that receives the signals then sends request to BCM.