Travel trailer recommendations

Donstar

We're looking for a travel trailer that is suitable for a retired couple to to use for longer trips across Canada and the US. My max tow is 7000lbs. We basically want a well constructed unit with a bed and a bathroom! Mobility is not a strong point so we want a "walk around" bed and a "residential" type toilet and sink setup. Aluminum framing appeals to me but I realize this is a heavily debated topic! Our intention is to use this trailer for overnight stays while travelling and staying with family or a motel for longer periods. Any and all suggestions are welcome as we can't afford to get it wrong!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jayco feather lite are pretty light. We looked at them and went bigger on account of our 3 kids and dogs. I don't know what you are towing with, but there are lot more shortcomings then just your tow rating. With our 1500 Silverado we ran out of cargo capacity weight well before we ran out of tow capabilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you are in the western part of the country I would look at Bigfoot, Outdoors RV, Nash, and Cougar - all are built tough for the outdoors west.

Also remember that the soft sided rvs aren't allowed in national parks. My brother and his wife were kicked out because of them and they are too easy for bears to enter

Since you are in the western part of the country I would look at Bigfoot, Outdoors RV, Nash, and Cougar - all are built tough for the outdoors west.

This is certainly a lot of choice which is part of the issue! Some brands like BigFoot can be very expensive when compared to other popular brands. ( I do like the idea of a fiberglass shell! ) I know that paying more will get me better quality, but I was hoping to pay less for a quality product minus some of the frills.

Believe me, I have the same problem as I go to replace my aging Arctic Fox. It seems that even Nash - which used to be a no frills brand has found they must also add the frills - along with their quality - in order to keep up with the lower quality brands. As far as pricing goes you have a couple of things going against you - the exchange rate and the CSA cert that is required for all RVs in Canada. You can come to the states and then pay for the CSA inspection when you register the rig. Mfgs like Northwoods (Nash/Arctic Fox) and Outdoors RV build to CSA standards and provide the CSA certs to their Canadian Dealers - who also tend to charge more. I know that for 2017, Outdoors RV has created three trim levels designed for different styles of camping. The Mountain series are units with few frills designed for people who go off grid and want a no frills experience - these units are usually smaller and less expensive than the next trim levels. Kind of like the trucks - WT, LT, LTZ :). Northwood still uses the Nash as it's entry level and Arctic Fox - Silver Fox edition as their top end. I really have not researched Bigfoot recently - I know that in the past they have been heavier and more expensive than their US built counterparts. Check out their websites for a better description of the brand differences. I know that I am also trying to replace my 2005 Arctic Fox 22H, but have not really found what I am looking for either. Good Luck.

The Passport can also be had with insulated floors and heated tanks for colder weather. We looked at a 2400BHS that was a year round camper, but passed on it because of weight.

I couldn't justify a Bigfoot or Arctic Fox because they are heavy and so expensive on the east coast.

I did a lot of research on campers before I settled on mine. I was looking in the 24 foot range, fiberglass, aluminum frame, and lightweight. The other limiting factor was I needed bunks for child and dogs, and that really limits options. The only other one that came close was a Coleman, but it was aluminum skin and wood frame.

In reality, there are only a few manufacturers nowadays, the old names are there but they are owned by a common parent company...make sure you research any model by current or previous owners, as some models are problematic with the rest of the lineup is good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

OK, Since someone else suggested Passport there are other Keystone products to consider - on the West Coast Keystone has a plant in Pendleton OR. Their main output for this market is Cougar - I see lots of them here in OR. They have a reasonable reputation and their 1/2Ton series has some rigs in the 24' range that are not too fancy - simple bed, dinette, galley, and bath check out the 19RBEWE.

On the Northwood side The Nash 22H (the same TT I currently own) will fit into your wt range - but the bed is not walk around - something I am also trying to get away from too. The first Nash that works for me is the 23D but it is a bit longer and heavier - it would be pushing your wt limits. The Arctic Fox 22G is also out there but it is 8'6" wide so you would really need extension mirrors plus it is at the top end of your wt range.

Outdoors RV - this is also owned by Ron Nash and semi-competes with Nash and AF. Their Blackrock series is probably what you want - look at the 20RD - nice layout and within your specs.

You will usually find Northwood and Outdoors RV at the same dealer.

Good Luck

Don't by anything made by Forest River, that much I can tell you. Spent $30g on a brand new Cherokee Limited 3 years ago and it is falling apart. Been back to the dealer four times now. Glad I bought the extended warranty and that the dealer has helped us on what wasn't covered by it but never again.

My friends passport has been not so great either.

Only rv company that I have seen with anything resembling quality is Jayco.

Don't by anything made by Forest River, that much I can tell you. Spent $30g on a brand new Cherokee Limited 3 years ago and it is falling apart. Been back to the dealer four times now. Glad I bought the extended warranty and that the dealer has helped us on what wasn't covered by it but never again.

My friends passport has been not so great either.

Only rv company that I have seen with anything resembling quality is Jayco.

Funny you say that. My neighbor, who got us into rv camping, had a Forrest river and the lamination started to split after a year. Forrest river wouldn't make good on the warranty claim that it would be too expensive to delaminates the entire exterior. They were able to trade it for a jayco.. hence why I have a jayco

Funny you say that. My neighbor, who got us into rv camping, had a Forrest river and the lamination started to split after a year. Forrest river wouldn't make good on the warranty claim that it would be too expensive to delaminates the entire exterior. They were able to trade it for a jayco.. hence why I have a jayco

I won't go through the laundry list of issues that we have, I guess been lucky, to have covered under warranty. Currently though, and this started last spring, the entire Cherokee decal (on the front cap of the trailer, started to delam/peel and the dealer won't cover it. 2 years old and the brand name of the trailer is falling off and the dealer won't do nothing about it. Sort of reminds me of the days when all the Chevy emblems were falling apart. Anytime one came into the dealer that I was working at, at the time, the dealership owner wanted it replaced free of charge to the customer, whether it was warranty or not. He didn't even look for reimbursement from GM for it either. That's good brand loyalty right there.

I will be submitting pictures of said decal to Forest River this spring after the trailer is out of storage. I hope they will see my plight and help me out. It really makes a brand new, nice looking trailer look like trash, that's for sure.

I won't go through the laundry list of issues that we have, I guess been lucky, to have covered under warranty. Currently though, and this started last spring, the entire Cherokee decal (on the front cap of the trailer, started to delam/peel and the dealer won't cover it. 2 years old and the brand name of the trailer is falling off and the dealer won't do nothing about it. Sort of reminds me of the days when all the Chevy emblems were falling apart. Anytime one came into the dealer that I was working at, at the time, the dealership owner wanted it replaced free of charge to the customer, whether it was warranty or not. He didn't even look for reimbursement from GM for it either. That's good brand loyalty right there.

I will be submitting pictures of said decal to Forest River this spring after the trailer is out of storage. I hope they will see my plight and help me out. It really makes a brand new, nice looking trailer look like trash, that's for sure.

Replace it with a giant green lantern logo! That's what I would do but I'm a geek.

I've had my Passport for two years now, have had a single issue with it that the dealer couldn't find (they replaced both hatch covers for a leak at the rear), but that I fixed myself. The pipe dope they used at the hot water tank didn't seal on the fittings and when the tank got hot it would leak. I diagnosed and simply pulled the fittings and used Teflon tape.

Otherwise, have not had an issue...we do store ours inside a carport when not camping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Archived