Travel trailer recommendations

Donstar

My Arctic Fox is a 2005 model made in the fall of 2004. I bought it new off the lot in July of 05 - no problems just regular upkeep - tires, brakes, wheel bearings, keeping up with the caulk etc.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other thing to consider is that not all brands are available everywhere...we found some models we really wanted to see, but they were "west coast models". I'm really not sure why they would do that, but I found that with quite a few manufacturers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Please find out what your payload is before buying. It will limit you long before you hit the 7K max towing. I've got a 2015 NHT with a towing cap of 10,800, but towing 8200 (loaded) I hit my payload limit.

Having said that, I do like the Cougars. Had 1 major issue with mine, fixed under warranty, and it's been good ever since. Just not sure you can find one that you can pull.

Donstar - I looked at these fiberglass tubs once as well including Scamp, Burro, and Bigfoot. and even talked with several owners including some good friends and neighbors who owned a Burro. He liked the overall idea esp no seams to leak etc. The only issue they had was the lack of insulation - maybe things have changed with them, but for the most part they were not 4 season units. I also found that Bigfoots were much heavier than their same size regular built TT.

I seriously believe that the type of construction is not as important as the quality of that construction.

Hi Donster,

I would avoid the laminated or "smooth side" trailers because of the delamination issues....this is only my personal opinion and Im not trying to start a flame war...its just my less than .02 cents worthless opinion.

The main reason is of course the delamination issues but secondly the type with the aluminum lap type siding is easier to repair.

Which mfg is a crap shoot on quality:

I have seen good Jayco's but now I understand they were bought out and are made by Thor Industries, so Cavet Emptor....Thor Industries and Forest River are the two big dogs in the industry....so in essence you can get some good ones from both and a lot of junk from both...personally Ive had both and they each had some minor problems....but I was determined to avoid laminated trailer walls...while the aluminum siding looks a little "Old Timey" with today's Travel trailer tastes, they are still cute enough and easier to repair!

Fiberglass trailers:

Go to youtube and look at a guy called " The Willful Wanderer" he has burnt the road up towing a Castia 16 or 17 foot travel trailer he seems to have used it solid for 10 years...up top Alaska a few times and all over the U.S. He has one video in which he breaks down the annual cost over a ten year period....lol mostly tires!

Limitations to a Castia: What are the fresh gray and black water tank capacities? Tighter shower, no walkaround queen bed.

I almost got a Casita, but the DW nixed the deal; we have a kid and she was probably right, it would have been tight for three people. The bathroom/shower is a type of wet bath and can be a little tight.

Thor has a few "Starcraft" and "Coleman" lineups with a rear bath which is a little more roomier and has decent black/gray and fresh water tank capacities. ( camping world sells a lot of them)

We use to have a Coleman 235QB...I kinda miss that old lug It had a full rear bath and a front Queen bed and a jack knife couch which I like sleeping on more than the bed! I think the Fresh, Black & Gray was 60 gallons each. The inside box was 23.5 foot long and the thing empty was around 4500lbs....with full fresh tank and "your stuff" say another 1000lbs more???

Since I have had both manufactured brands in similar price ranges, i would say the Coleman (Thor industries) had a little bit better quality on the interior than Forest River, but also dont think you are getting the "Coleman Brand" of years ago....from my understanding Thor only bought the licensing agreement to use the Coleman name.

Hi Donster,

I would avoid the laminated or "smooth side" trailers because of the delamination issues....this is only my personal opinion and Im not trying to start a flame war...its just my less than .02 cents worthless opinion.

The main reason is of course the delamination issues but secondly the type with the aluminum lap type siding is easier to repair.

Which mfg is a crap shoot on quality:

I have seen good Jayco's but now I understand they were bought out and are made by Thor Industries, so Cavet Emptor....Thor Industries and Forest River are the two big dogs in the industry....so in essence you can get some good ones from both and a lot of junk from both...personally Ive had both and they each had some minor problems....but I was determined to avoid laminated trailer walls...while the aluminum siding looks a little "Old Timey" with today's Travel trailer tastes, they are still cute enough and easier to repair!

Fiberglass trailers:

Go to youtube and look at a guy called " The Willful Wanderer" he has burnt the road up towing a Castia 16 or 17 foot travel trailer he seems to have used it solid for 10 years...up top Alaska a few times and all over the U.S. He has one video in which he breaks down the annual cost over a ten year period....lol mostly tires!

Limitations to a Castia: What are the fresh gray and black water tank capacities? Tighter shower, no walkaround queen bed.

I almost got a Casita, but the DW nixed the deal; we have a kid and she was probably right, it would have been tight for three people. The bathroom/shower is a type of wet bath and can be a little tight.

Thor has a few "Starcraft" and "Coleman" lineups with a rear bath which is a little more roomier and has decent black/gray and fresh water tank capacities. ( camping world sells a lot of them)

We use to have a Coleman 235QB...I kinda miss that old lug It had a full rear bath and a front Queen bed and a jack knife couch which I like sleeping on more than the bed! I think the Fresh, Black & Gray was 60 gallons each. The inside box was 23.5 foot long and the thing empty was around 4500lbs....with full fresh tank and "your stuff" say another 1000lbs more???

Since I have had both manufactured brands in similar price ranges, i would say the Coleman (Thor industries) had a little bit better quality on the interior than Forest River, but also dont think you are getting the "Coleman Brand" of years ago....from my understanding Thor only bought the licensing agreement to use the Coleman name.

Laminate sides have came a long way, that was a concern of mine also. Aluminum skins can be repaired, if the panels are available.

We also looked at some of those solid fiberglass deals...some didn't even have holding tanks, they were meant for direct hookups at the campground.

As for Coleman, they were sold in 2010; I owned one of the last off-road popup campers they ever built. The name was sold and the manufacturing plans (and plants) were sold. I don't remember who bought the name, but Somerset bought the plans for the E3 (the offroad popup) and the Somerset Plant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

After owning two aluminum sided units, you couldn't sell me another one. Even with the darker colors, once the paint wears off between where the panels lock/lap together, add water, and you then drive them down the road, they streak like crazy. I literally go through almost a gallon of black streak remover a year keeping our Cherokee clean and it's not all from the roof.

Having a very good friend that has been a tech in the RV business for over 25 years has been a god send for me. I surely wish though that I could have talked the Mrs. into looking around more before we bought so we didn't get the one we got with all the problems.

I also know that Jayco has recently sold out and said RV tech friend says that their quality has slipped slightly but it is still better than Forest River.

As many have mentioned, check your payload ratings before you buy. Even though your tow rating is 7k, you'd be surprised how quickly your tongue weight and camping gear will will max out your payload. We have a 2005 Jayco Baja pop-up/toy hauler (which we've been extremely happy with)...but when we were loaded up for a camping trip (with the ATV), my payload was maxed out on my last two 1500 trucks.

Hi Donster,

Try to get yourself something which will not burn your transmission out but will also give you all the features you want....Im partial to large capacity tanks...I hate nothing more than hooking up my turd tote to go dump my black water tanks every other day at a campground.

However, I did once pull my coleman 235QB with a Ford F-150...it was rated to tow it but I wasnt fond of doing it with that 5.3 triton engine.

I then went to a 7.3 diesel f-350 and didnt even know it was back there....but I have since sold the F-350 and now tote things with a 2500HD 6.0

Things to consider: How much towing in Mountains? If a lot consider a a transmission temp gauge and maybe an additional Transmission cooler.

Are you going to boonedock a lot? If so, maybe a composting toliet will help out a lot on water usage/black tank emptying.

A lot of BLM boondockers and full timers who dont want to spend a lot of money each month for full hookup campgrounds swear by composting toliets and extra potable 5 gallon military water style jugs....maybe with that kind of combination you can cut down the overall travel trailer weight you will have too tow.

How much do you want to spend for your comfort each month? Most folks who full time say their biggest expense is fuel and Campgrounds, thus they swear by that composting toilet, they often cut their monthly expense in half by boondocking and having a small solar setup, especially if they are chasing 70 degree weather across the country...no need for Air Conditioning, but a toting about 3200 watts of a generator will suffice when you do have a warn spell...that wattage will cover all AC units of 13,500 BTU's or less.

I actually use two suitcase style Wen generators rated at 1600 running watts,,,they are as almost quite as Hondas and I can run one for low loads or slave them together to run the Air Conditioner.

Ours runs about 8,000 ready for the road and I'm still pulling it with my 14 Z82 package/5.3 double cab. In the wind, yeah, ya gotta slow down but other than that, while I know I need more truck, it does down the roads here in Michigan pretty good. Going with the NHT package next go around.

Archived