Travel trailer recommendations

Donstar

Everyone keeps saying that the nht trucks are the way to go... has one noticed that it reduces your cargo capacity but over 200 lbs? If you are running out of cargo capacity in a 1500 the only way to go is a 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone keeps saying that the nht trucks are the way to go... has one noticed that it reduces your cargo capacity but over 200 lbs? If you are running out of cargo capacity in a 1500 the only way to go is a 2500.

It does? My trucks towing capacity is 9,600lbs. Same truck with the NHT package is 10,600lbs, iirc.

All I know is a close friend has the identical truck to mine except he has the NHT package. He lent it to me to pull my travel trailer one weekend and the difference was ASTOUNDING.

Now, the difference between the two trucks when pulling something lighter like say my three place inline snowmobile trailer, isn't really too much of a difference in feel.

It does? My trucks towing capacity is 9,600lbs. Same truck with the NHT package is 10,600lbs, iirc.

All I know is a close friend has the identical truck to mine except he has the NHT package. He lent it to me to pull my travel trailer one weekend and the difference was ASTOUNDING.

Now, the difference between the two trucks when pulling something lighter like say my three place inline snowmobile trailer, isn't really too much of a difference in feel.

He's not talking overall trailer capacity, the truck itself runs out of carrying capacity between passengers and hitch weight...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yeah. My 5.3 v8 doesn't pull locomotives but it pulls my jayco with some authority. I'm sure with a 6.2 and shorter rear end it would pull the paint off the sides. Next truck will be a 2500 diesel.

Nope. NHT adds ~400 lbs payload.

page 32 of this https://www.gm.ca/media/vehicles/current/gmc/sierra/2015_Sierra_Brochure_EN.pdf shows the payload capacity for the 1500's.

For mine (CC, 4X4 Short box) with a 3.42 it's 1820 and with a 3.73 (NHT) it's 2210.

My sticker shows 2015 lbs. Loaded up last year I was within 50 lbs of that number.

For comparison, I've seen 2500HD with the Duramax at around 2300 lbs. Better towing vehicle, but still easy to hit the payload number.

Nope. NHT adds ~400 lbs payload.

page 32 of this https://www.gm.ca/media/vehicles/current/gmc/sierra/2015_Sierra_Brochure_EN.pdf shows the payload capacity for the 1500's.

For mine (CC, 4X4 Short box) with a 3.42 it's 1820 and with a 3.73 (NHT) it's 2210.

My sticker shows 2015 lbs. Loaded up last year I was within 50 lbs of that number.

For comparison, I've seen 2500HD with the Duramax at around 2300 lbs. Better towing vehicle, but still easy to hit the payload number.

Not sure where you got you numbers from, but a Duramax 2500hd is 3500# and a 6.0l is even higher.

Not sure where you got you numbers from, but a Duramax 2500hd is 3500# and a 6.0l is even higher.

https://www.gm.ca/media/vehicles/current/gmc/sierra-denali/2015_Sierra_HD_Brochure_EN.pdf

Brochure payload for a 2500 HD Crew Cab 4x4 Std box is 2628, or ~ 400 lb more than the brochure payload for my truck. Talking to others who have one and what their stickers show, it's around 2300 lbs. Yes it is higher with a 6.0l

Everyone keeps saying that the nht trucks are the way to go... has one noticed that it reduces your cargo capacity but over 200 lbs?

Yes, I think somebody told it to you backwards. The NHT option adds 400 lbs to your GVWR, Payload as well as rear GAWR (since 2015, the 2014's didn't get the increase).

My 2012 is 3400# with 4wd and crew cab from what I remember?

Please take a look at your sticker. Generic internet numbers are often the max possible. A Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax 2500 will generally weigh around 7400-7500 lbs. So unless they've increased the GVWR to 11,000 lbs 3500 isn't happening.

Yes, I think somebody told it to you backwards. The NHT option adds 400 lbs to your GVWR, Payload as well as rear GAWR (since 2015, the 2014's didn't get the increase).

Please take a look at your sticker. Generic internet numbers are often the max possible. A Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax 2500 will generally weigh around 7400-7500 lbs. So unless they've increased the GVWR to 11,000 lbs 3500 isn't happening.

I have a gasser...

And your brochure number is for a CNG engine, not a gas or a diesel...

No.

Going from page 36. Clearly Diesel 4x4 CC long box is 2628 LB, 1192 KG.

I'll take the brochure # over Google response any day.

If yours is gas, it will have higher (but 3500 would still surprise me). A better source from when GM first started rating per SAE J2807:

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gmc/vehicles/sierra_hd/2016/_jcr_content/iconrow/textfile/file.res/16-PG-GMC-Sierra-HD-062716.pdf

Page 17:

Crew cab, 6’ 6” (4WD): 6.0L: 2942 6.6L: 2583

But keep in mind those are max numbers. The number you end up with on your sticker after all options are weighed up is usually less.

Archived