DVD REAR PLAYERS not working

I just wanted to thank 67firebird455 and others for the fix on the DVD screen.  Mine went out for a second time recently (first time it was still under original warranty) so I took it to a local dealer.  They charged $50 diagnostic fee to tell me the screen was bad and I would need a whole new assembly which would cost $620+ tax.  I found this thread, tried reversing the cable at first with no luck, so I bought a new 40 pin ribbon.  Unfortunately, the 20 pack was on back order, so I ordered 1 from another seller on amazon for $20 (I know it was a mark up, but I was anxious to get it done and its still a lot less than $620.  It worked and my middle row DVD player is now functional.  Thank you to everyone for the posts.  Also, want to reiterate the disappointment in GM as I have had a multitude of other issues with my Yukon Denali XL including a bent pushrod last year that put me in a loner for 2 months as one of the parts was on backorder.  Too many issues for a $73000 vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 10:57 PM, 67firebird455 said:

Anyone with second row overhead DVD issues in 2015+ GM suvs where the backlight works but no video, or you are unable to open the screen all the way without losing picture, the solution is easy. Remove, disassemble, and flip the 40 pin ribbon cable, reassemble, reinstall, and call it a day.

My 2015 Yukon XL Denali has just 50k on the ticker, and had this issue. GM is not standing behind the junk of a vehicle this has been within the two years of ownership, and I am not paying $700 to replace the second row DVD player.

I hope this helps someone with the same ridiculous problem. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver, a small flat-head, a ratchet/driver, and a 7mm socket.  This literally takes less than 30 minutes total to do.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Do I turn it upside down or just flip the connections? I turned it upside down and now I have a black screen..

• 2 months later...

Shocked to see so many others with this problem! The steps to flip the cable were extremely well put together, I did it in under an hour...It didn't fix the backlight back to video screen, but my kids had yanked hard on the screen and probably opened a circuit or two.  I'm ordering the amazon 20p and I have high hopes this will fix the issue. Thanks 67firebird455 for the photos and others for their updates!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C4P6S43/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_otjBBbHKHBVVR

Hi, I have 2019 GMC Yukon XL. Both rows have DVD players and both have been replaced once. Today, both stopped working. I JUST had the middle row replaced Oct. 30th!! What in the world?! I had a Honda Odyssey for 8 years and never had an issue. I’ve have this one a little over a year (bought Oct. 19). Anyone have any advice?

I want to thank everyone for all of their comments and information.  Because of this post, I was able to order 20 ribbon cables from amazon for $7 and perform this repair in about 30 minutes (with three kids hovering over and asking repeatedly if I can fix it). The hardest part was lining Up the screws and reinstalling into the ceiling of the car. I looked like a hero and have a very happy family. Thank you VERY much!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, thank you so much, just did this for my 2016 in about 30 min. It is so easy, and I probably would have been less stressful if I just slowed down. 

We have lived with the screen needing to be in a certain position for it to work, to not working at all for about a year. I just looked this up and doubted it could be as easy as flipping around that ribbon, so procrastinated for a few weeks, but sure enough it works. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just bought a used 2015 Yukon XL. We didn't necessarily plan on buying one with DVD so didn't have one to check it with before we bought it. I asked and of course salesman said it all worked. I get it home (2 hours away) and middle screen doesn't work. The 3rd row screen works, but also can't get the remote or headphones to work. We took apart 2nd row dvd and flipped the pin. Still doesn't work but I have ordered a new one to try that. However when working on that we realized the in-dash screen isn't playing the movie either. It doesn't have a book with it, so do I just not know how to work it? or is the in-dash another problem? Anyone had trouble with it? and the remote and headphones?   Can you hook regular wireless headphones to it? or do i have to buy the gm ones? (they are $100 for 2) 

• 1 month later...

Had the same issue with mine. I ordered a cable and replaced with no luck. The issue for me turned out to be the switch that turns the display on and off when it opens and closes.

I haven't bee able to find this switch anywhere. 

Does anyone on here know how to get one?

ThanksIMG_5662.thumb.JPEG.bdf3174549ca56dcd77edebb8d3e5ba4.JPEG

On 10/15/2018 at 1:18 PM, edittman1 said:

Found a replacement unit for $150 on ebay. Costly mistake. You can also go new for about $300.. 

Hello @edittman1

I did the same thing to mine, snapped the connector that holds the ribbon in. What did you end up doing, and where did you find the $150 part to try and fix it?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 4:09 PM, Mark Kelly said:

I got the new cable to today and installed it.  Everything is back to working order.   Thanks @67firebird455 for making the posting that got me started on the trail to solving my problem!  This is the cable I used that fixed the problem.

Flat Ribbon cable 40 Pin 0.5mm Pitch 200mm long FFC/FPC Reverse Direction (see picture below)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flat-Ribbon-cable-40-Pin-0-5mm-Pitch-200mm-long-FFC-FPC-Reverse-Direct-1pc/112412362149?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

So $3.50 + shipping and the problem is solved.  I actually bought a couple of them just in case I need to do this again in the future.   Anyone else looking to do this, I still recommend that you get a good pry tool for opening up the screen.  It's not hard to open, but there are a lot of tabs.  Since I've done this a couple times now I've broken 3 or 4 tabs myself, but there are plenty of them on the case so missing a few doesn't cause any issues and everything still snaps back together nicely.

Hope my added info actually helps some of you out. I'll also confirm that this takes about 30 - 45 minutes to complete at the most.

s-l1600.jpg

How did you get this ribbon to stay in the slot? There are no notches like the original part that was covered with the silver wrap.