DVD REAR PLAYERS not working

On 9/11/2018 at 12:02 AM, JIm JEnson said:

Thanks to your help and instructions, I took this challenge and successfully fixed my 2nd row display flipping the cable in about 25 minutes. Great job with the photos! It really works folks!

My 2015 GMC Yukon rear DVD player stopped working, did what you said and it Worked. Ordered an extra 40 pin ribbon just in case this one goes bad. thanks

DVD PLAYER.jpg

Edited by Dr.Dennis
PHOTO ADDED

• 4 weeks later...

Wow,  can’t believe so many other have had this same issue.  We have 2015 Tahoe with just over 70k on it.  RSE is shot and won’t work, changed the battery and had to have it towed to the dealer to reprogram all the remotes and just recently the AC line to the rear unit “developed” a crack and the AC needed to be drained/line replaced/then recharged.  Lemon for sure. Pretty disappointed in GM.  

2nd Row video went out. Reversed the pin and still did not work. Lights on but video screen blank.  Swapped the 3rd Row unit and same issue. The 2nd Row unit works in 3rd Row mount so the 40 pin cable was not the issue. I think it may be one of the harnesses or maybe a fuse. It looks like there is only one fuse for the displays but I'm not sure. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, Yes I have had the same issue with my 2015 Suburban, how they can spend this much money and not build electronics and wiring correctly.  In my 4 years I have had it break 3 times, only once under warranty in the first year, and even then they wanted to fight it.  GM sucks and I will never buy another one.  This past February I had it fix and then it broke in April.   Recently had it in local Chevy dealership and it took them 3 visits to fix it and we just noticed 3 days later that the 3rd row dvd broke with no picture in screen, it was working when we dropped it off.  This is absolutely crazy and GM knows it that is why they are changing to back of seats instead of middle.

All you do is get lied to as they never want to come good for it.  

2016 Tahoe.  Just finished replacing the 40 pin flat ribbon on the DVD player and happy to report it is working perfectly.  Here is the link for the ones I ordered($7.69 at time of posting)  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C4P6S43/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please note that you have to pry the plastic covering off the back of the screen once everything has been removed and disassembled.  I almost got stuck and couldn't figure out how to get to the other side of the cable once I had everything taken apart.  This takes quite a bit of pressure to remove the back covering and a 2-3 of the plastic connectors broke, but there are still plenty of them to connect it back once everything is reconnected.  Also you can't tell any of the plastic connectors are broken once everything is reassembled.  Just be very gently during this portion of the project.  I didn't see any pictures in this thread of someone doing this so wanted to provide a few more details on the process.  Thanks again for everyone's input.  Couldn't have done it without this forum.

Edited by MW1981

Just disassembled my third row screen again today after receiving my replacement ribbon cables.  R&R'd in under 10 minutes and am back up and running!  I should go back through my original post and circle the screw locations requiring removal.  To split the screen cover, I used my pocket knife to separate, keeping pressure pulling apart and working my blade around the perimeter.

@jimbigg - You have to flip the small flap on top of the cable up.  Just be careful not to break it off, once flipped directly up away from the board, the ribbon easily slides out.

@Nicholas Trifiletti - Thanks a lot man.  Appreciate the thanks.  I'm so glad it's saving other people time and money.  If my front screen dies (still on stock flipped cable), I'll take a video how to and post it on youtube, then share here to answer any possible questions others might have.

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased a 2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV. I didn’t realize that neither the 2nd row or 3rd row dvd screens worked. They had a backlight, but no image. I explored many avenues to repairing them and did a lot of googling. I figured what the heck, this seems like an inexpensive, fairly simple fix, so I gave it a shot. I have absolutely no IT/mechanic or similar experience (I am a stay-at-home-mom) only a little confidence. Guess what, it worked!!!! I am so happy I tried, proud I did it and saved thousands, and THANKFUL for this post!!! I ordered replacement ribbons that were mentioned here ahead of time for $8/20 ribbons on amazon. When they came in I went to work following the pictures. The first screen probably took me 45 mins and the second one 30 mins start to finish. This post saved me so much MONEY and TIME. Thank you, thank you, thank you (and thank me)!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I broke the connector clip when trying to remove the cable. Any idea on how to fix this or rig it up? 
Also, has anyone had trouble with getting the headphones to sync with the dvd players after reconnecting it?

I disconnected the the first dvd player, broke the connector, put it back up there as a lost cause, but now the 3rd row sound is not working with the headphones. I can only play it through the speaker system which is very annoying. 

HELP. Thank you in advance. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2018 at 12:02 AM, JIm JEnson said:

Thanks to your help and instructions, I took this challenge and successfully fixed my 2nd row display flipping the cable in about 25 minutes. Great job with the photos! It really works folks!

When you say flip what do you mean end to end or just turn over? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what type of connector is used for the DVD player harness to the car, is it USB-C, micro HDMI? trying to troublehoot as I replaced the ribbon several times and the backlight will come on now but no video wondering if the connector to the dvd player unit is the problem.