DVD REAR PLAYERS not working

• 1 month later...

Created an account to say thank you.  Wife's rear screen stopped turning on.  She called 2 different Stealerships and they said only thing it could be is a bad screen and it would be $700-800 to replace.  A $4.50 cable and 30 minutes and we are up and running again.    

I am not super mechanically inclined - this wasn't too bad at all.

Thanks for saving me $695

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I too signed up just to give a big shout out to those sharing the info and savings! Thank you!

I will just add, in order to get the ribbon cable out, on my 2015 GMC Yukon XL anyway, is to flip the black part of the connector up, so the ribbon pulls out. It sort of hinges at those pins and only goes up about 30 degrees-ish (see pic). Hope this helps someone because I mangled mine whilst figuring it out. 

4C51F04A-432A-4542-8794-395D0315B87E.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I had to create an account just to say thank you 67firebird455!  I had this same problem and  stumbled across this thread and we followed your steps and fixed our 2nd row DVD player.  Super grateful.  Thank you for the tutorial and helping my family save the $700+ to use towards vacation instead of on this.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm at the point of removing the ribbon cable from the monitor but I don't know how to access the screen to remove the ribbon.  How do I get the ribbon out of the screen?

Thank you so much for this info!  I tried flipping the original ribbon around and it didn’t work, so I ordered new ones and it fixed the problem! ??  I thought the ones I got were smaller then the original, but I think GMC just put a protective layer over the one they used.

I wanted to share that I found my ribbon on amazon and it came with 20 of them...I mean I guess I’ll have replacements for a while! ? anyway they were only $6.99 plus it had prime shipping!   

Heres the link link to the ones I got.  

Yootop 20 Pcs 40 Pin FFC FPC Flexible Flat Ribbon Cable 200mmx20mm/7.87''x0.0787"(L x W') https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C4P6S43/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_otjBBbHKHBVVR

On 7/29/2018 at 7:16 AM, GhettoSled said:

Ok, so I'm at the point of removing the ribbon cable from the monitor but I don't know how to access the screen to remove the ribbon.  How do I get the ribbon out of the screen?

I’m not sure if you were able to figure it out, but you have to pry the screen casing open.  I first used a flat head screw driver, but the second time I did it (only because I needed a new ribbon) I got a cheap pry kit from amazon. I hope you got yours working! 

3 minutes ago, Amandamendy said:

I’m not sure if you were able to figure it out, but you have to pry the screen casing open.  I first used a flat head screw driver, but the second time I did it (only because I needed a new ribbon) I got a cheap pry kit from amazon. I hope you got yours working! 

Hey!  Yes, I got it to work.  I finally just pried it open, praying that I wouldn't break anything.  But once I got the screen open, replacing the ribbon was a breeze.  DVD player works great again.  Thank you!

• Like 1

For spending nearly $70k I would definitely expect a lot more from GMC. Instead you get the run around and an $800-1500 repair estimate. 

Good hell,  You spend $40 at Walmart and they’ll jump right over the moon to help you or at least make things right. 

I sincerely hope this fix works for us. We for sure have the same issue, about 6 months into owning our brand new Yukon xl Slt. This mama was not happy about that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately this did not work for my 2015 Tahoe. I reversed the cable, but still have a black screen. Any suggestions? 

I went ahead and ordered the replacement cables, just to see. Guess we will find out on Sunday when they arrive. 

****UPDATE*****

Got my replacement ribbons to day and HOT DAMN IT WORKED!!!! So stoked to have my DVD player back and so are my 3 kids! Thank you so much for posting this. 

Edited by mrsfernandez24
update
  • Like 1

I to created an account to simply say thank you to those who have posted on this thread.  I purchased a used 2016 suburban that “everything works”.  My fault I didn’t bring a DVD the 600+ miles I went to go get it.  when spending 45K+ on a used vehicle from a Chevy dealer, I would expect everything to work as advertised.  Of course they didn’t have a disk for me to try it before driving home and that is the first thing the kids tried.  Screens totally black when down (both of them).  All I saw was dollar signs and no support from the dealer miles away.  A simple google search got me to this thread.  I followed the instructions that were shown.  Reversing the cable didn’t work, so I ordered the reverse cables off EBay.  40 min later both screens worked perfectly.  Thank you for saving me $1600.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the details!  I had the same problem (black screen).  Yukon XL Denali was just out of warranty and dealership told me they weren't going to cover it.  Wanted $700ish to fix.  $5.85 cents for a cable from eBay and I'm up and running again.   

I'm really disappointed about how many things have needed to be fixed on this 3 yr old 80K truck already.   Previously had 2 Escalade ESVs.  Never had an issue with the older one.  Newer model had several issues and I'm hoping that the Yukon isn't a continuation of that.  GM really seems to have let quality slip in the newer trucks and I very well may be looking elsewhere for the next one.