Advice on "Demo" Model Price

My local Chevrolet dealership has a 2017 LT Z71 listed for $35,315.

I called the dealership today and I was informed that it was a "demo" model that the service department lent to people when their vehicles were being worked on. Since it has never been registered it is technically a new vehicle and is being sold as such. I was told it has about 4K miles on it.

The truck has the Z71 and All Star package with bucket seats. I like the features on the truck and it should fit my needs fairly well. MSRP is $48,815. I've seen similar trucks that aren't demo models with advertised prices $10,000 under sticker. Is the $13,500 that is discounted from the sticker a good price for this truck? Any issues I should look for on the truck? I'm going to view the truck tomorrow after work, any advice is much appreciated.

4x4? What other features? Test drive it extensively. Complain about everything and get them to give you new tires.

Sent from my OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

It is 4x4, heated seats, power seats, spray in bed liner, 5.3 v8, rear view camera, trailer brake controller, navigation, other than that I believe it is just the standard features that come with an LT.

^

If the tires a gone after 4,000 miles I think I would pass...

Definitely, the truck would be incredibly abused to have significant tread loss at 4,000 miles. Or at least I would think so. I stopped at the dealer last night after they were closed and the tires don't seem to be worn. Honestly, the tires aren't a major concern. I will be swapping the rims and tires from my 2002 Silverado with the ones on this truck as soon as I have a leveling kit for it.

^

If the tires a gone after 4,000 miles I think I would pass...

If they are selling the truck as new, I want full tread life. 4K demo miles is different from 400 test drive miles. That's just me though. And you can get more for new tires if you sell them.

We bought the wife a dealer demo '15 Terrain last February with 4k on the clock. The great thing about them is you can use GM points and other incentives like you would on any other new vehicle purchase. I asked for a fresh oil change and tire rotation, test drove it for about a half hour to make sure everything felt right, went home with it. Because of the savings we could afford a higher optioned "new" vehicle, she loves the thing.

I realize many people shy aware from them, but not me. As long as you do your due diligence inspecting them before purchase, you can walk away with a helluva deal, we did.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the input guys! I went to the dealer to test drive and there were a few minor issues. They were firm on price and I couldn't get them to come down. They ended up having an ALC truck on the lot with a 6" BDS lift and every single option I wanted. The truck was a GM buyback, it supposedly would randomly shutdown while driving, but the issue could not be replicated. After extensively test driving it and haggling with the dealer I ended up signing the paperwork on it today! Now I just have to wait for it to get back from the body shop, they are fixing some scratches and rock chips that were on the truck.

having gone through the process and what it takes to get GM to "brand" the vehicle as a buyback, I would definitely try to see all of the service records on the truck. I had numerous problems with my 2014 and they would not do the buyback because it would have to disclose all of the problems the previous owner had dealt with. they ended up going with the trade allowance on mine because it would diminish the value of the truck as bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Break-in is a lot more critical than most people think, especially in regard to ring seating and future oil use, etc. Do you really want something that you do not know the history of?

Archived