2011 2500HD Steering Stabalizer

Did some research last week when I ordered my Bilstein shocks and it appears there was never a stabilizer put on these trucks. The mount and holes are there just no shock.

Ordered the Bilstein stabilizer for the truck along with then shocks. Steering stabalizer came with all the necessary hardware for install. I Just put it in. Took 10 min. Figured I would share my experiance for anyone looking for a cheap upgrade

$75-$90

There are other options for 40-60$. Rough country, Monroe ex. ex.

IMG_4849.jpg

IMG_4850.jpg

Edited by mattymax

Good to know for guys that want oem

Yeah, not the best option, but at the time nobody offered aftermarket replacements since leaving off the stabilizer was a 2011/2012 thing.

I'd probably buy a Bilstien if I was to replace mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The 2011+up HD trucks are designed and intended to not have a steering stabilizer.

#PIT5052F: Steering Wheel Vibration Or Customers Looking To Add Steering Stabilizer - (Jun 14, 2016)

Condition/Concern

Steering wheel vibration or customers looking to add steering stabilizer for the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra HD 2500/3500 models.

Note: On 2011 trucks with a vibrations felt in the steering wheel, follow published SI diagnostics. The latest version of PI0650 may be helpful in diagnosing this condition.

Recommendation/Instructions

The 2500/3500 HD trucks are not built with a steering stabilizer.

A steering stabilizer is listed in the parts catalog group 6.865 (steering linkage shock absorber) and is available, but is not intended to address vibrations or brake pulsations.

This part can be added, but is not intended to be used for a warranty repair.

Additional information: The 2500/3500 HD's are specifically built without a Steering Dampener Shock.

The explanation below can be used to give a more detailed description of how the 2500/3500 HD steering system functions, with respect to road input.

Steering damper's predominate influence is on large heavy impacts encountered during more extreme off road events.

For smaller chatter/bump surfaces, the steering damper does not see high enough rod velocity to generate resistance force.

For these situations, there is more mounting bushing compression than anything else.

The 2011-14 model year 2500/3500 HD steering gear system features the same knuckle steering arm to pitman arm length ratio as the previous (2010 and older) HD model, but the steering gear piston diameter is larger and capable of higher pressure, which creates more viscous damping in the 2011-14 model year 2500/3500 HD steering gear than the previous (2010 and older) HD model steering gears.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed

I put a rough country stabilizer on my 2011 2500hd. It helped reduce some of the shake I have in my front end. Some of it is due to rusted rotors and calipers. And some Is the pitman arm bushing in the center link is worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So why not fix the issues instead of band aiding them with a stabilizer?

So why not fix the issues instead of band aiding them with a stabilizer?

I am planning too. I have new front rotors, calipers and pads waiting to go on. I have to find the time to do them. Also planning to order the upgraded center link and do away with the bushing as well as new pitman arm and idler arm. It's not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well after putting a few miles on the truck is seriously tracking to the right. I understand it's a gas filled shock but is this normal ? Should I try a different brand shock ? Or totally do away with it. It's tracking so bad I constantly have to redirect it back to the left.

I have the same one on my 08' Ford F-350 without any tracking issue.

I heard that before about gas filled stabilizer shocks doing that.

I've often wondered if the gas charged shocks were meant to be used in pairs to counteract each other?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk