Gas in Oil

Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone has experienced the problem I am having with my 2016 Silverado. It is a 4x4 with 5.3l. The truck is about six months old, and has a little over 4 000 miles on it. The oil level in the truck will rise about 1/2 a inch over the full mark within 150 miles after an oil change. I have been back to the dealer 5 times so far, and they replaced the high pressure fuel pump twice. They cannot seem to figure out what to do next. I am wondering if anyone on here has any suggestions. It also never turns on any lights, and it seems to run fine. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks so much!!

Edited by 03dyna

I would agree, most likely leaking fuel injectors. Especially with these DI engines.

I'm surprised the replaced the high pressure fuel pump twice, have they not looked into the injectors yet???

You should send out a used oil sample to Blackstone for an analysis.

I bet there's a lot of us that have this problem; I might be one of them as well.

Thanks guys I have suggested that but because it is not throwing codes they did not think it was injectors. I will start pushing that next. One good thing they admit there is something going on since my oil is so diluted in such a short time. I will keep you posted if they ever figure out the problem.

Well the gas has to get into the oil somehow, over saturation from leaking injectors, or rings installed incorrectly, or damaged. How does the truck idle? Use your cruise control at many different speeds, to listen and feel if there is anything different going on at different rpms. Oil sample is a must do! Take an oil sample just after a short run at operating temperature. List your correct oil being used, if not sure contact your service dealer what they actually have when they come from the factory.

Oil depletion from gas usally only happens from high mileage vehicles, or a damaged or out of spec piston and rings. I would think if it was an injector you would be having startup shaking, and idle miss as well.

Have they preformed a compression test! That would be my first recommendation here.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

thanks 2strokesmoke so far the dealers have done the oil changes so I am not sure what they have used for oil. I think a compression test is a good idea I will do that today would anyone know the torque spec is for the plugs on this engine? Thanks again for the help.

Dang it man. The main reason that I keep new vehicles with a factory warranty is so that I do NOT have to crank wrenches LOL. I would drop that puppy off and let them repair it and resist the temptation. They will give you a loaner vehicle correct?

The oil sample would be something that I would probably follow through so that I would have good documentation.

• Like 1

thanks 2strokesmoke so far the dealers have done the oil changes so I am not sure what they have used for oil. I think a compression test is a good idea I will do that today would anyone know the torque spec is for the plugs on this engine? Thanks again for the help.

If you are going to do this compression test yourself, you will need a certified shop at a later date to confirm your findings, and to help challenge your warranty issue witn documentation!

No cylinder....should read 10% less then the highest reading on any cylinder....rule in engine building.

All plugs should be removed cycle and test each cylinder recording the highest achieved reading. Use quality compression test equipment.

Good luck

Does the oil smell like gas?

Does it rise 1/2 an inch than stop?

Does it continue to rise as the mileage increases?

1 compression check

2 oil analysis :happysad:

Hi diyer yes it smells very much like gas it does take a week or so before the oil would gradually rise to 1/2 inch over full so far it only has 4000 miles on it

Edited by 03dyna

A relative bought a new Dodge with the Cummin's that has the same problem. They call it making oil. His will add a quart of diesel to the oil every 1k miles. He has been dealing with Dodge for over a year, still not fixed.

Hopefully your fix goes better. :happysad:

002.jpgWell I gave it a compression test there was more variance then I would like but it is still a new engine

Injectors leaking, cuasing fuel to contaminate the oil sump, most likely have nothing to do with compression at that low mileage. (Of course over time if you're oil is constantly being washed out with gas that will lead to compression failure/piston ring failure)

But what I'm thinking is, the injectors are leaking when the vehicle is off,fuel pools in your cylinders and eventually bleeds down the cylinder walls past the piston rings and into your oil sump.

A relative bought a new Dodge with the Cummin's that has the same problem. They call it making oil. His will add a quart of diesel to the oil every 1k miles. He has been dealing with Dodge for over a year, still not fixed.

Hopefully your fix goes better. :happysad:

Diesels add diesel fuel on an exhaust stroke fueling the DPF sytem to heat up to 1400 or higher....different system! Engine cycles egr gas and soot into combustion cylinder to treat NOX gas, this accumulates in oil changing oil quality, diesels are not gas engines.

Gas engines don't do this, just a simple egr gas only.

Edited by 2strokesmoke