Collapsed lifter AFM issue

@Paintor yeah my wife and I are seriously thinking we trade it in. Sucks because we loved this truck up until the other day when it stalled out and had a rough idle while I was on my way to work on I-94. Had AAA come and tow it. We baby’d This truck knowing we had put a lot of miles on it. If we took care of it, it would last us until we at least paid the damn thing off. 

2 hours ago, 2015 GMC Sierra Crew Cab said:

@Obscenejesster No as I stated in my original post I’m out of warranty. I have 120,000 miles on it. Burn only premium and all oil changes have been done at a GM dealer. 

May I ask how often the oil was changed and what filters were used? 

We only put Premium gas from Costco, Sam’s Club or Shell Nitro. This is ridiculous. Not looking to replace with another domestic. My grandmother owns a 2009 Honda Ridgeline with 148,000 miles she burns whatever is cheapest and gets her oil changed wherever she’s never had any motor issues. 

Edited by 2015 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

[mention=182817]Obscenejesster[/mention] No as I stated in my original post I’m out of warranty. I have 120,000 miles on it. Burn only premium and all oil changes have been done at a GM dealer. 

Holy hell bro. 120k miles on a 2015? I couldn't imagine driving that many miles. I hit 10k miles a year if I'm lucky.

Since it's out of warranty, I would suggest finding a local mechanic to replace all of your lifters and do the AFM Cam delete. The dealer is going to do half ass work and rip you off.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, 2015 GMC Sierra Crew Cab said:

@Grumpy Bear ever time it indicated it needed to be changed about every 3,000 miles and not sure was completed at Moran Buick GMC or Genthe Chevrolet. 

My 15's OLM goes off every 7500 miles or would if I let it get that far. Anyway, seems you drive a bit harder than I do to run the OLM down that quickly and harder doesn't mean faster as a rule. Short trips in cold weather are worse than long fast trips in warm weather for example.

There's a dozen things that can undo a hydraulic lifter. Trash/debris, gum, varnish as well as mechanical issues. Rumor has it that these Ecotec3 motors have a screen in a main galley to catch the cats and dogs the filter lets by. If it catches enough of them the lifter galley is starved for oil, aerates and the lifter collapses. 

The dealership will use a bulk oil they buy cheap. Just good old mineral oil. These motor have 207F thermostats in them and oil temperatures routinely exceed 250 F even in the winter. Even at 3000 mile changes the oil is stressed enough to varnish. 3000 miles was common as dirt it the 60's and never an issue but thermostats were also 180/192 F and oil temps 210 F or so in normal driving. That Dexos thing means little. 

Well is what it is now, but look into that screen and use at least a Group III oil or run a thermostat driven oil cooler with a 180 F limit. 

My 15's OLM goes off every 7500 miles or would if I let it get that far. Anyway, seems you drive a bit harder than I do to run the OLM down that quickly and harder doesn't mean faster as a rule. Short trips in cold weather are worse than long fast trips in warm weather for example.

There's a dozen things that can undo a hydraulic lifter. Trash/debris, gum, varnish as well as mechanical issues. Rumor has it that these Ecotec3 motors have a screen in a main galley to catch the cats and dogs the filter lets by. If it catches enough of them the lifter galley is starved for oil, aerates and the lifter collapses. 

The dealership will use a bulk oil they buy cheap. Just good old mineral oil. These motor have 207F thermostats in them and oil temperatures routinely exceed 250 F even in the winter. Even at 3000 mile changes the oil is stressed enough to varnish. 3000 miles was common as dirt it the 60's and never an issue but thermostats were also 180/192 F and oil temps 210 F or so in normal driving. That Dexos thing means little. 

Well is what it is now, but look into that screen and use at least a Group III oil or run a thermostat driven oil cooler with a 180 F limit. 
Isn't it easy to pull that screen out and replace it and/or clean it? I've seen a video of someone doing it.

@Obscenejesster yeah we traveled with our three kids from Saskatchewan to Alberta down to New Mexico over to California then up to Oregon, Montana, and back East here to Michigan/Ontario and back to Saskatchewan. Then back East to Michigan/Ontario and back to Saskatchewan a few times. We bought to drive not just look at it. 

Edited by 2015 GMC Sierra Crew Cab

[mention=182817]Obscenejesster[/mention] yeah we traveled with our three kids from Saskatchewan to Alberta down to New Mexico over to California then up to Oregon, Montana, and back East here to Michigan/Ontario and back to Saskatchewan. Then back East to Michigan/Ontario and back to Saskatchewan a few times. We bought to drive not just look at it. 
LOL.... That's crazy. I don't know how you can drive that much. You must love driving. I only work 2 days a week (24 hour shifts) and that is why I only put 10k miles a year on my cars.

• 2 months later...

I'm having issue with my 2015 Tahoe misfire on cylinder 5 and a loud ticking noise that comes and goes. Took it to my local mechanic for diagnostic. They advise that it is a collapse lifter and that the cam might be damage. Found this bulletin _https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10078567-7690.pdf . I call General Motor to see if there are other with the same issue. They stated "No". 

Edited by Carlos De Robles