Collapsed lifter AFM issue

1 minute ago, Carlos De Robles said:

I'm having issue with my 2015 Tahoe misfire on cylinder 5 and a loud ticking noise that comes and goes. Took it to my local mechanic for diagnostic. They advise that it is a collapse lifter and that the cam might be damage. Found this bulletin _https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10078567-7690.pdf . I call General Motor to see if there are other with the same issue. They stated "No". 

I just got my 2015 back from collapsed AFM lifter and bent pushrod on #6. The interesting thing is I never noticed a misfire or had the engine light come on. The tapping just got louder and louder. Drove it at least 8K miles with a noticeable tapping until I finally had enough of the noise and took it in.

Even though it was only #6, they replaced all the AFM lifters. GM covered it under warranty *except* the oil filter. For whatever reason I got to pay for that.

When I inquired about how often this happens, the techs all were in agreement that if you run it like you'd want to run the 6.2L, its likely to happen. Their belief is stepping on it while in V4, or WOT->V4 can cause things to get out of sync long enough for something to bind or bend. Their suggestion was to be more gentle in and out of V4, or disable V4 outright via a tune. I am going with option #3, different truck.

• Like 1

I've driven for a bit with a bent pushrod on a street/strip car.  It was noisy and down on power a bit but still driveable.  Mine was caused by valve float though (piston kissed a valve).  I'm beginning to think the valve springs on 6.2s is more suspect then the afm lifters.  Not saying I wouldn't take one in a heartbeat but the first day outside warranty I'd be looking at upgrading the valvetrain. 

18 hours ago, CounterMeasure said:

Their belief is stepping on it while in V4, or WOT->V4 can cause things to get out of sync long enough for something to bind or bend. Their suggestion was to be more gentle in and out of V4, or disable V4 outright via a tune. 

The PCM takes care of being more gentle and is proactive. A room full of tech's that don't know that is a dealership to avoid.

Out of sync? Their saying' the computer gets confused? Like when you misplace your keys? :uhoh:

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Newdude is right. I just had my POS 2015 Silverado fixed. I first had the P0301 code, and replaced the plug, wire, AND the coil pack. Then it threw the P0300 general misfire code. It also reflected the safe mode with blinking check engine light. I took it to the dealership, and LUCKILY mine was still under warranty (5yr/100K). When I referenced what Newdude said, they agreed and replaced the ENTIRE bank of lifters, and the camshaft. For those of you who may want/need it, I’ve included a pic of the maintenance order. All of the work was done by the dealer.

I still HATE this truck with a passion and will be selling it within the coming months. Worst truck I’ve ever owned by far.

0AC48FC7-E9FF-45D9-A5B4-BC8C3FDD2234.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. New member here and I found this thread last week while doing a little research on the issue. I just went through this with my 2011 GMC Sierra Crew cab 4x4 5.3, dropped a lifter at 68000 miles. Dealership wanted $3400, but instead I took it to my local mechanic that I've used for the last 25 years. He did all the lifters both sides and the tune for $2800 out the door. This has been a well known issue as I had learned about it back in 2013. My local mechanic that did my repair has done five of these GMC/Chevy lifter jobs, including on his own truck. He stated at 68000 miles, that was the lowest mileage that he had seen or heard of with this issue. It is low mileage for the year, but I have three vehicles that I use, one being a company vehicle, so my truck doesn't really rack up the mileage. What bothers me about this whole thing since its been a well known issue is why GM hasn't been forced to do a recall on this crap, probably because its not a safety issue, I suppose.

20180108_170815_AE.jpg

Edited by zebraranger
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is it possible for my 2015 Chevy Silverado to have a stuck lifter and not thru any type of codes up?  Does any one else have an issue with it constantly dropping down to 4 cylinders. Even when your only going 20 to 40 mph?  I mean literally it does it constantly! It pisses me off. And I took it to Chevy today and had them check everything and they told me there was nothing wrong with it and tried to blame the bad shifting and bog down feeling of motor to being cause i drive it in auto and not in just 2 wheel drive.  And also tried to tell me it was because my cold air intake on my filter! Which is total B's cause i bought the cold air I'm take thinking it might help with the terrible response time of tranny and motor. But didn't help

Hey David. You are ABSOLUTELY correct. My 2015 had to have the entire bank of lifters replaced, and never thru a code. I had to repeatedly insist that something was wrong. Another thing I’d mention is this, my transmission had to be replaced too, and it also thru NO codes. It shifted fine, but would do what yours is doing as well (constantly shift). After the lifters were replaced, AND after insisting there was still a major problem, they finally looked at the transmission and realized it was needing replaced.

I recently resolved my problem with my 2015. I sold the piece of junk, and bought a 1998 Chevy with less technology and more reliability.

29 minutes ago, David Schneider said:

Is it possible for my 2015 Chevy Silverado to have a stuck lifter and not thru any type of codes up?  Does any one else have an issue with it constantly dropping down to 4 cylinders. Even when your only going 20 to 40 mph?  I mean literally it does it constantly! It pisses me off. And I took it to Chevy today and had them check everything and they told me there was nothing wrong with it and tried to blame the bad shifting and bog down feeling of motor to being cause i drive it in auto and not in just 2 wheel drive.  And also tried to tell me it was because my cold air intake on my filter! Which is total B's cause i bought the cold air I'm take thinking it might help with the terrible response time of tranny and motor. But didn't help

A stuck lifter would cause a misfire that the engine's computer would detect.  My AFM used to work at those slow speeds, why is that a problem?

Get the truck tuned and have that turned off.  Check your engine and transmission mounts.

8 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

A stuck lifter would cause a misfire that the engine's computer would detect.  My AFM used to work at those slow speeds, why is that a problem?

Get the truck tuned and have that turned off.  Check your engine and transmission mounts.

Yes I've asked around quite a bit. And everybody's told me there's only comes on at highway speeds. But mine it dries very rough it's bog down when in 4 cylinders. And then when you jump back that ate the transmission don't seem to know what gear to go in sometimes. It's makes for terrible driving cause i can really feel it. plus I just got a oil change not too long ago and I had to add a quart of oil to it so I was wondering if it was burning up oil cause of it also.  It only has 46000 miles on it. and I'm so sick of it I'm about ready to trade it in and get a new one without AFM.

49 minutes ago, David Schneider said:

GM trucks with AFM can drop to V4 at any speed above 15.5mph.  They've been this way since AFM's launch in 2006. 

Drive it in M5. 

On the intake:

#04-07-30-013D: Automatic Transmission Shift and Engine Driveability Concerns and/or MIL ON Due to Aftermarket Oil Bath Type Air Filter Use - (Nov 22, 2017)

The use of an aftermarket oil bath air filter that is excessively over oiled may result in any of the following to occur:

• The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) may illuminate and a diagnostic trouble code(s) DTC may set.
  • The automatic transmission may shift early and/or late, slipping and/or damaged clutch(es) or band(s).
  • Engine driveability concerns such as but not limited to: poor acceleration from a stop, stumble, rough idle and/or limited engine RPM range.
  •  

The oil that is used on the air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) or Mass Air Flow/Intake Air Temperature (MAF/IAT) sensor resulting in contamination and poor performance.

This contamination will result in the Grams per Second (GPS) signal and/or the Hertz (Hz) frequency signal from the MAF or MAF/IAT sensor to be skewed, low or generally out of range. The Hertz and/or Grams per Second parameters on the scan tool should be compared to a like vehicle with an OEM air box and air filter under the same driving conditions to verify the cause of the concern.

• If an aftermarket oil bath air filter is used, the Service Technician should inspect the MAF or MAF/IAT sensor element and the air induction hose for contamination of oil prior to making warranty repairs.
    • Transmission or engine driveability concerns as a result of the MAF or MAF/IAT sensor being contaminated with oil from the use of an aftermarket oil bath air filter that may be excessively over-oiled are not considered to be warrantable repair items.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1