GM Borla Arrives Today - Cold Feet

Before you bend anything check the front pipe. I did mine on the floor in the garage and it was hitting the crossmember too. When I got it on a rack it was pretty crooked, I loosened it at both ends and got it to pivot upwards and got more clearance. Hopefully it helps. Kevin

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before you bend anything check the front pipe. I did mine on the floor in the garage and it was hitting the crossmember too. When I got it on a rack it was pretty crooked, I loosened it at both ends and got it to pivot upwards and got more clearance. Hopefully it helps. Kevin

I tried loosening the muffler clamps and repositioning the muffler to get more room. Didn't help much. What did help was putting a small zip tie on the hanger by the rubber holder. It seems the borla hanger was slightly smaller in diameter and a little loose in the rubber. The zip tie took up some of the slack and for now seems to be holding the pipe up from hitting the frame.

There was a lot of slop in the rear left rubber hanger from borla. I put a zip tie on that one too which kept the left pipe from moving so much.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pictures are worth a 1,000 words

21b64ad97268c1a3e168e85cea196175.jpg

c479f42be8af855c2402b0822d736ff7.jpg

e6383e1ab3e824c9911f839f48f47a05.jpg

ac61fddd9267a1f32da59e4c7f73408f.jpg

^ I had to bend the daylights out of this!

Bending it down, allowed for more clearance, after some drive time. Now it looks like some more massaging is in order, the rubber hanger looks stressed now it has settled.

Seems like the GM Borla certainly should fit right. :dunno:

Really liking my simple muffler swap with no issues - no drone - no chopper - everything fits as it should.......

:driving:

Seems like the GM Borla certainly should fit right. :dunno:

Really liking my simple muffler swap with no issues - no drone - no chopper - everything fits as it should.......

:driving:

I agree. I keep trying to talk myself into liking it, but between the fitment issues, and the v4 still sounding lousy even with the flapper, and the overall poor sound when it's cold, I somewhat regret putting it on. Going to give it through the summer, and if it doesn't grow on me, I'll put the stock back on and sell it.

Pictures are worth a 1,000 words

21b64ad97268c1a3e168e85cea196175.jpg

c479f42be8af855c2402b0822d736ff7.jpg

e6383e1ab3e824c9911f839f48f47a05.jpg

ac61fddd9267a1f32da59e4c7f73408f.jpg

^ I had to bend the daylights out of this!

Bending it down, allowed for more clearance, after some drive time. Now it looks like some more massaging is in order, the rubber hanger looks stressed now it has settled.

I'm saving bending it as a last resort. Ill try to get a pic of mine. There was also a metal spring sticking up from the flapper on top that was close to touching the heat shield. Did yours touch after bending the hanger?

I agree. I keep trying to talk myself into liking it, but between the fitment issues, and the v4 still sounding lousy even with the flapper, and the overall poor sound when it's cold, I somewhat regret putting it on. Going to give it through the summer, and if it doesn't grow on me, I'll put the stock back on and sell it.

send it to me and i'll see if i have the same issues. ;)

I'm saving bending it as a last resort. Ill try to get a pic of mine. There was also a metal spring sticking up from the flapper on top that was close to touching the heat shield. Did yours touch after bending the hanger?

Shamrock, the I-pipes are set in a jig for welding, they should almost all be the exact same +/- % margin of error. I have installed 4-5 Borla catbacks on on my own personal vehicles, they all need a little adjustment to fit like OEM. My experience comes from years of working on vehicles as a technician, you get to a point when you can just look at something and know before tweaking. There are loads of folks running Borla exhaust with little to no issues.

Can you provide some pics of your spring issue, on my exhaust nothing is physically hitting my heat shields. (keep in mind that i-pipe exhaust hanger can hit the frame)

Shamrock, the I-pipes are set in a jig for welding, they should almost all be the exact same +/- % margin of error. I have installed 4-5 Borla catbacks on on my own personal vehicles, they all need a little adjustment to fit like OEM. My experience comes from years of working on vehicles as a technician, you get to a point when you can just look at something and know before tweaking. There are loads of folks running Borla exhaust with little to no issues.

Can you provide some pics of your spring issue, on my exhaust nothing is physically hitting my heat shields. (keep in mind that i-pipe exhaust hanger can hit the frame)

I'll try to climb under tonight and grab a pic after work if it isn't raining

So I noticed when you knock on the Borla muffler it rings like a church bell. Would wrapping in a thermo tech kevlar muffler cover dampen some of the sound and vibration? At worse it would keep some heat out of the cab.

http://www.thermotec.com/products/kevlar-muffler-cover.html

Archived